Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:40:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Saddest moments in children's television shows

Started by ros vulgaris, March 18, 2024, 10:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

badaids

Quote from: ros vulgaris on March 18, 2024, 10:17:46 PMIs there anything that beats the death of Badger from Animals of Farthing Wood?

From about 10:30

"A fox, worried about kindness? I must be in heaven."

I always fucking hated the animals of farthing wood.  I never watched it, but 35 years later I am pleased to hear that it ended badly for them.

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 19, 2024, 06:38:58 PMThere was also the storyline about Nikki the UFO spotter's dad returning and it transpiring he abused her.

Can't believe Gregg Araki ripped off Byker Grove.

FredNurke

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 19, 2024, 03:50:18 PMWhen I first saw the thread title, I thought of Farthing Wood, but not because of Badger. The whole thing was mainly heartbreak, in my memory, and I particularly remembered the hedgehogs being smushed by a truck.

The section headings in this article are just as bleak as I remember it - https://screenrant.com/animals-of-farthing-wood-most-traumatic-deaths/

The Badger Dies Of Old Age
Mr. & Mrs. Hedgehog Are Run Over By A Truck
The Pheasants Are Killed & Eaten By A Farmer
The Baby Mice Are Impaled By The Shrike
fucking hell
Dreamer Fox, Mrs. Rabbit, Mrs. Hare, & Mrs. Vole Are Mauled By Scarface
Mrs. Fieldmouse Is Mistakenly Killed By Kestrel
Sinuous Is Strangled By A Rat
Bold Is Shot & Attacked By Dogs & Dies From His Wounds
Scarface & Bounder Are Bitten By Adder And Die From Her Poison

I gave my sister the Farthing Wood DVD set as a Christmas present one year. In one respect this turned out to be a bad move, because I was suddenly reminded of how much I hated Weasel, but it also brought the delight of realising that Mr Pheasant bears rather a close resemblance to David Cameron. For that reason alone, I laud the cruel realism of the show.

Norton Canes

Birdi Shittypin falls into a fire and is completely vapourised

Except, wait - that did actually happen, in oft-overlooked Smallfilms deso-fest Tottie: The Story of a Doll's House. Birdie, a celluloid doll from a Christmas cracker, attempts to prevent her son, the tiny doll Apple, from playing near a candle's naked flame and in the process is herself instantly incinerated.

Properly macabre stuff, all narrated in the honeyed tones of Oliver Postgate. You can watch the first series:

kalowski

Quote from: Mortimer on March 19, 2024, 08:06:25 PMDon't remember the program but it was decades ago and during the usual early evening children's TV hours. A woman presenter interviewing the Blue Peter stalwart John Noakes.

Interviewer: "And how's Shep these days?"

John Noakes: "He...he...he...died last week".

John Noakes precedes to have a breakdown on live TV.
Christ. I came to post the very same. I saw it live (on TV). Fucking heartbreaking.

touchingcloth

That episode where Santa's Little Helper needs an operation and gets chased away from home.

magister

Jurassic Bark in Futurama. Specifically the closing montage with Fry's abandoned dog spending years waiting for him and finally dying.

Deliciousbass

This is a wildly bold way to end a kids' show:

It's like one of those mental sad anime endings

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on March 19, 2024, 07:52:59 PMIt's even more tear-jerking than that. It's robot, singular.

With its little green watering can, while Joan Baez sings.  Gets me every time.

Kankurette

Quote from: magister on March 20, 2024, 12:14:15 AMJurassic Bark in Futurama. Specifically the closing montage with Fry's abandoned dog spending years waiting for him and finally dying.
I will wait for yooouuu

Midas

spaghetamine

Quote from: Kankurette on March 20, 2024, 03:23:30 AMI will wait for yooouuu

not to be a tedious contrarian but that one never moved me much, the ending of Luck of The Fryrish on the other had makes me all weepy

Quote from: ros vulgaris on March 18, 2024, 10:17:46 PMIs there anything that beats the death of Badger from Animals of Farthing Wood?

From about 10:30

"A fox, worried about kindness? I must be in heaven."

It's mentioned in the clip, just after he dies, but the mole isn't the original mole. It's his son.

As badger got older, he started showing signs of dementia. So the mole's son pretended to be the mole to keep him company.

EDIT  sorry, didn't see earlier comment

Glebe

Mr_Simnock

the one where morph turns into a butt plug and for some reason can't turn back

ros vulgaris

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 20, 2024, 12:58:36 PMEDIT  sorry, didn't see earlier comment

Yeah, I remember finding it a strange death as a child, as I didn't fully understand what was happening to him.

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 20, 2024, 04:26:42 PMthe one where morph turns into a butt plug and for some reason can't turn back

Classic one, that. "I've seen things you wouldn't believe"

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 20, 2024, 04:26:42 PMthe one where morph turns into a butt plug and for some reason can't turn back

It was Chas when they put it in.

ros vulgaris

Quote from: Glebe on March 20, 2024, 04:06:43 PM

There was that one where he was left home alone and he imagined it was deliberate, with Matthew saying "he's horrible".

Kankurette

Toki

Quote from: spaghetamine on March 20, 2024, 07:51:16 AMnot to be a tedious contrarian but that one never moved me much, the ending of Luck of The Fryrish on the other had makes me all weepy

Never actually seen the dog one, but LotF was the first episode I saw and I assumed the rest of the show was of equal quality and that I'd be laughing and then gut-punched every week, like when the Simpsons was the best thing on television. Next one I saw was the one where Amy gets Fry's head stitched on her shoulder.

Sean Ymphs

The premise of James the Cat always upset me. A cat is abandoned by its owners. I only had one episode on a video, and it was the first one, where that happens.

Kankurette

kalowski

When Peter Duncan was caught and skinned by Peruvian hunters.
They wore his face!

non capisco

D'ya remember The Flumps, eh? What were all that about, dick 'ead?!

For any of you lotus eating lithe young CaBbers who can still get up from their sofas without making a noise like a wounded elk, that's them up there. They were sort of Northern stereotype talking testicles with hats. I have a clear memory of being suffused with melancholy (I was obviously that kind of child, a right wan little milksop) at one episode when all the other Flumps decide to play a trick on Grandad Flump (second from right) by pretending to forget it's his birthday. What a bunch of cunts. "Eeee, do you all know what day it is today?" the doddery old article kept saying to which all the others replied "It's the day we make onion soup, Grandad." He then spends the remainder of the episode getting increasingly upset and pathetic, shuffling about in an "I...I...thought they.....loved me?" manner. I expect at the end they all put him out of his misery. I mean told him they knew it was his birthday all along, not shipped him off to Dignitas but it felt like it was going that way. What stayed with me was the pathos of the poor old bastard, though. It felt like a sneak preview of how life might turn out. What if one day everyone you love just....stops giving a shit?

They only made one series of 13 episodes of The Flumps in 1977 but by god the BBC ragged those into the ground for years afterwards and every time that one came round again I'd find an excuse to do something else. My mum cottoned on and said "You don't like that one where they pretend to forget his birthday, do you?" and I got all angry and defensive and cried. 28 years old I was.

Kankurette

I mainly remember The Flumps because of its ridiculous catchy trombone theme.

Also, now you've mentioned they look like fluffy little bollocks, I can't unsee it.

jamiefairlie

What if one day everyone you love just....dies

kalowski

Quote from: Kankurette on March 20, 2024, 10:04:18 PMI mainly remember The Flumps because of its ridiculous catchy trombone theme.

Also, now you've mentioned they look like fluffy little bollocks, I can't unsee it.
Great theme tune. Played on the flumpet, if I remember rightly.