Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'Whores : A New Hope

Started by non capisco, May 01, 2021, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

did he do any good between-song banter about israel having a right to defend itself

thugler

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 27, 2024, 12:11:56 PMdid he do any good between-song banter about israel having a right to defend itself

Almost felt like intentionally minimal stage banter in order to reduce the chance of that.

iamcoop

Forgot about that odd little hissy fit. Didn't he call Ken Loach retarded or something? CBA to look it up to be honest.

I'm going to see The Necks in a couple of weeks, so that'll be nice. I will be standing for an hour in a small jazz club in Nottingham though, so results may vary on that.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 27, 2024, 02:47:55 PMI'm going to see The Necks in a couple of weeks, so that'll be nice. I will be standing for an hour in a small jazz club in Nottingham though, so results may vary on that.
Same for Cafe Oto next week, looking forward to arriving at either 7pm to queue for a seat for a show that starts near 9pm or at exactly 9pm to be awkwardly standing near the bar with vague line  of sight of one musician.

sardines

Enjoying The Necks love though I may shamefully skip them next week at the frankly overloaded timetable headache that is Rewire festival

Mike Reed's Separatist Party tonight. How an act moves from funk to kosmische popul vuh vibes to free jazz via sharp Spike Lee-esque poetry and still sounds coherent, is a bit of a miracle.

Ron Superior

Saw Electric Eel Shock last week and it was the most fun gig I've been to in ages. Just the pure joy of seeing Aki blasting out a solo gurning the whole time; them retorting to every cry from the crowd of "you bastard" with "I no bastard, you bastard!"; him whipping the local crowd up with chat like "Winchester, home of Iron Maiden! Winchester, home of Metallica!" I was beaming the whole time.

Am going to see an amazing bill in Bournemouth next month of Bismuth, Sunrot, Kulk and Warren Schoenbright. Four great bands, including a band coming from the US for £16.

dontpaintyourteeth

Electric Eel Shock were a minor sensation in Bristol a couple of decades back when they supported Bloodhound Gang and just generally sort of rocked everyone's socks off.

As you were. -LG

Ron Superior

I saw them on that tour too. They were the reason I went actually. They haven't changed one iota.

The Mollusk

Pissed Jeans were incredible last night, probably the best of the three performances I've seen from them. The new burst of hardcore energy on Half Divorced has translated to the stage, they were clearly having a blast. Matt was as hilarious as ever. Really buzzed that they played Love Without Emotion and Cafeteria Food as well, two of my favourite songs!

sevendaughters

saw SunnO))))) today and it was i. ridiculously punishingly loud ii. a bit camp, really iii. quite good but I feel like I have moved away from this particular kind of extremity.

sardines

Still House Plants at the weekend. Love a bit of t'Plants though I slightly ruined this for myself by spending a rainy day drinking too much in various bars.

Quote from: sardines on April 02, 2024, 07:57:39 PMStill House Plants at the weekend. Love a bit of t'Plants though I slightly ruined this for myself by spending a rainy day drinking too much in various bars.

Where was this?  They've only got Bristol, London and Salford listed on their Bandcamp and they're not until next week.  They're one band I really want to see but I can't make it to any of them.

sardines

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on April 02, 2024, 10:55:16 PMWhere was this?  They've only got Bristol, London and Salford listed on their Bandcamp and they're not until next week.  They're one band I really want to see but I can't make it to any of them.

Ah it was in Brussels. A bit of a random show as part of a mainly electronic music festival. Hopefully they will tour this album a bit more. It sounds more like a cohesive set of songs than their previous releases.

Quote from: sardines on April 03, 2024, 06:47:56 AMAh it was in Brussels. A bit of a random show as part of a mainly electronic music festival. Hopefully they will tour this album a bit more. It sounds more like a cohesive set of songs than their previous releases.

Oh right, the bit about getting drunk on a rainy bank holiday immediately made me think of Britain. I hope they add some more British gigs, but they don't seem to be much of a touring band, it's usually been one or two-offs or residencies.

Memorex MP3

The Necks were great tonight, friend seemed a bit skeptical with the first performance but the second totally converted them

Had to leave at 2235 to catch a train, it seemed to be wrapping up though?

iamcoop

Long shot I know,  I have a ticket to pissed jeans at the Brudenell tonight (sold out) which I can now not attend as my train back to Newcastle has been cancelled because of tomorrows strikes (so I couldn't even get home tomorrow if I stayed over.)

Absolutely gutted but if anyone wants it on here give me a PM and you can have it for face value.

The Mollusk

Damn man that really sucks, sorry to hear you're missing them

iamcoop

Aye, totally devo'd but what can you do? I'll just have to wait for the next time they come around (in like 7 years lol)

sevendaughters

that's a shiter, I saw them at the Brude a few years back with BAND NOT NAMED BECAUSE CANCELLED

WhoMe

Went to a Giegling live show last night. My fault going to a gig that's popular with the trendy kids probs, but I can't understand why the little twats are happy to spend almost 30 quid to get into an auditorium and yap away while the poor artists are performing quite delicate ambient/experimental music on stage? Fucking stay in the pub maybe? The din was ridiculous. Felt embarrassed for the other artists and the label owner who were sitting just in front of us trying to watch, they kept turning around to signal people to quieten down but to no avail. Maybe the wrong venue for it as it's quite a large space but still, it's the sort of gig you actively choose to go to, no passing trade really. Very frustrating experience.

JaDanketies

I had the same experience when I saw Bonobo about seven years ago. And then shortly afterwards I saw Tycho and had a very similar experience except for I managed to get right up to the stage so it wasn't so bad. I too blamed younger generations, but I also think it might be something that happens when ambient goes mainstream. Kinda wrote off seeing similar musicians as a result. Felt embarrassed being part of a crowd that didn't know to shut up when the band was on. It was like listening to the radio in a noisy bar

The Crumb

SPRINTS at Heaven on Wednesday. Great fun Irish garage punk, enjoyed the set.

But I'd forgotten how bad Heaven is as a gig venue. Absolutely awful harsh sound, and a long, thin layout that makes a being near the back of a 1500 crowd feel like watching a festival set from the beer tent.

Famous Mortimer

Went to see William Parker's Mayan Space Station last night. I'm not super familiar with anything other than his name and reputation, but I gather this is his first time leading a guitar/bass/drums trio. Ava Mendoza on guitar was brilliant, leading and following as the moment demanded, and Gerald Cleaver was superb on drums too, especially on the second piece.

Parker's bass was incredible, but about halfway through both sections, he put the bass down and grabbed a variety of odd woodwind instruments, and one plinky box thing which I couldn't really see from my seat. You could have told me he'd not see half those instruments before he went on stage and I'd have believed you - the gulf of skill felt vast. Especially so for the "short" second piece (about 20 minutes) where his preamble talked about how bowing the double bass is a mystical thing, and that's the entire point of the music, only to seemingly get bored of it after about 5 minutes.

But apart from those bits, it was really chuffing good. It's nice that there's a thriving local organisation that brings these incredible musicians to town.

thugler

Loved that mayan space station record, would love to see him if they came through my neck of the woods

sardines

Rewire recovery day. Will try not to write a book.
Highlights: Maria w Horn & Sara Parkman's 'Funeral Folk' -unspeakably good like Sunno))) backed by a Scandinavian pagan folk troupe, Amor Muere (could have musically stalked Mabe Fratti, the amount of projects she is involved in is insane), Gazelle Twin, Blacks Myths and Laura Ortman managing her effects pedals with silver shiny heels-fucking next level stuff-Annea Lockwood's deep listening.
Surprises: Aisha Devi's punishing electronics. Shovel Dance Collective connected deeper than I would have thought (I blame end of festival tiredness)
Disappointments: Oneohtrix Point Never was a dead end to the festival. Must be me, I've never understood the hype. Jenny Hval's concept was more interesting than the show.
Talking points: Second time seeing Sunno))) on this tour. They don't obliterate the place like they used to which makes it musically more interesting but less of an event... opinions were mixed..

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: thugler on April 08, 2024, 01:16:45 PMLoved that mayan space station record, would love to see him if they came through my neck of the woods
I hope they do - to be honest, St Louis would get very few of these sorts of incredible musicians without an organisation like New Music Circle finding locations and building relationships with labels and musicians and getting funding from local businesses and all that.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: sardines on April 02, 2024, 07:57:39 PMStill House Plants at the weekend. Love a bit of t'Plants though I slightly ruined this for myself by spending a rainy day drinking too much in various bars.

Does anyone know if the lead singer of Dead House Plants is related to the singer of Bunny Hoover they sorta look similar.

Yes, I am using this forum as a replacement for Google.

Kankurette

Space are touring, and it looks like they have a new album coming out, and I can tell EXACTLY what it sounds like from the title...and I'll no doubt be going to see them when they come to Manchester because I just cannot help myself.

Still no bloody Cardiacs tickets going spare for Leeds.

sardines

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on April 08, 2024, 10:17:24 PMDoes anyone know if the lead singer of Dead House Plants is related to the singer of Bunny Hoover they sorta look similar.

Yes, I am using this forum as a replacement for Google.

Well I just went down a rabbit hole of Dead Houseplants who seem to be an Austin grunge outfit. House Plants who do emo 'gardencore' from Texas. Bunny Hoover a weird lofi electronica act from Denver, Colorado and multiple interviews with Still House Plants searching for a connection.
I'm going out on a limb here and saying 'no'.