Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reasons why I want to obliterate Guy Garvey

Started by kalowski, March 18, 2024, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

Quote from: jobotic on March 19, 2024, 08:04:36 AMYoung people bought Uncut? To hide Gardeners World magazine in?

Yeah, I remember it was popular with young people my age who liked all the stodgey Doves-like rock and post-Buckley singer-songwriters.  Truly amazing times to live through

Quote from: Dr M1nx PhD on March 19, 2024, 11:30:06 AMI honestly thought this was going to turn out to be a "but doctor, I am the 23 stone keyboard player in Elbow!" thing about them being so dull their mothers don't recognise them.

Also the mad terfposting one.

If anyone ever said "you need to check out their first two albums, man" surely you'd just pretend to go to the toilet and let yourself out.  Doesn't bear considering what other opinions they'd hold

Doves are the far superior band if we're talking about Manc indie anthem merchants from the late 90s.

Kankurette

Ah, Doves. A band who went from this:

To this:

boki

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on March 19, 2024, 11:46:22 AMHe's from Bury, not Manchester.
Bit like saying someone's from Birstall, not Leicester though, innit?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Try telling the citizens of Bury that and they would bury you.

Ahem

Chicory

Clownbaby

I don't really listen to the radio but recently in the back kitchen at work someone put a radio, so I've had it on BBC6Music, and I always get a little tinge of disappointment when I hear that Guy Garvey's show is coming up. First time I heard his show, I can't remember the song, but he put on some meek ballad with a woman singing that seemed to last for about 20 minutes, which had a dreary string quartet endlessly repeating the same whiny note, and maybe even a children's choir? Can't remember how it went because it was so tedious but I thought after that "nope, Guy Garvey time is not for me"

I also fucking despise "Throw those curtains wiiiiide". Makes me feel sluggish.

jobotic

Goal of the Month music

(Actually MotD once used Y Niwl as GotM music. I how they got a big payout for that)

Quote from: jobotic on March 19, 2024, 01:41:22 PMGoal of the Month music

(Actually MotD once used Y Niwl as GotM music. I how they got a big payout for that)

Did they use French Disko for a while back in the 90s, or have I imagined that?

Memorex MP3

I didn't mind Uncut ~2002-2006 (i.e. when I was a teen but didn't have the internet or a remotely varied magazine selection from nearby newsagents). Which big magazines were better at that time? Were they just all shite?

dontpaintyourteeth

hot take: Uncut was actually really good when it used to be a film and music magazine and would do big articles about eg Wicker Man or Warren Oates. Also they used to actually make an effort with the reviews whereas now everything gets at least 7/10

Elbow. Doves. Athlete. Star sailor. Turin Brakes. Gomez. Snow Patrol. Badly Drawn Boy. Keane. Dig a big big pit and shovel them all in. Seal it over and salt the earth and let us never mention them again.

jobotic

I'm only pissing about about Uncut. I've never read it.

It's not like you said Q

Kankurette

Quote from: jobotic on March 19, 2024, 01:41:22 PMGoal of the Month music

The Life of Riley always makes me think of Matt Le Tissier precisely because the cunt was ALWAYS on GOTM when MOTD used it. Loved Pipeline as well.

Video Game Fan 2000

first time i actually heard consciously Elbow it was because someone volunteered them in a "most psychedelic post rock" thread. the look on my little face. it was almost like i understood

but i soon realised they were a "that band" and one of "those bands" i heard every single fucking day but never put an actual name to

non capisco

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 19, 2024, 02:47:52 PMElbow. Doves. Athlete. Star sailor. Turin Brakes. Gomez. Snow Patrol. Badly Drawn Boy. Keane. Dig a big big pit and shovel them all in. Seal it over and salt the earth and let us never mention them again.

I was having root canal done once and the dentist put a Starsailor album on. Alright, Laurence Olivier in 'Marathon Man'!

LordMorgan

I don't think doves deserve this

And the hour of bewilderbeast is a corker too

jobotic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 19, 2024, 01:48:46 PMWow, is that their first ever mention on here?!

Surprised Y Niwl haven't been mentioned with all that SFA and Gruff chat. I only know of them because I went to see Gruff Rhys in Nottingham with a friend years back and they were the support and backing band. They were so good I got over excited and bought a t-shirt and single.

The t-shirt is of a wizard in a boat surrounded by waves and looks like its for a prog band. Which is quite funny when you hear their music.

Wonder if they still exist.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 19, 2024, 09:51:16 AMband are prime liggers, proper bunch of Mr. Manchesters

Yeah, as others have said, from Bury not Manchester and nothing wrong with that - no need to be ashamed of your Burytage* Guy. Nothing wrong with being a ligger though, if I were in any position to lig I'd do it constantly.

*Dear Bury council, I have an idea for some kind of new local art/history festival.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I bet you he doesn't even live in Bury anymore either, the absolute toilet of a man.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 19, 2024, 04:47:46 PMYeah, as others have said, from Bury not Manchester and nothing wrong with that - no need to be ashamed of your Burytage* Guy. Nothing wrong with being a ligger though, if I were in any position to lig I'd do it constantly.

Oh I know where they're from, but I know which pubs I used to see them in weekly (Big Hands, Temple)

fuzzyste

Agree with most things here but must admit I was quite into the first album back in the day. The opening track is something I still listen to regularly. He is such an insufferable prick on the radio isn't he tho? The way he says "from Elbow" really fucking gets right under my skin

The first three albums were great. In fact, I walked down the aisle to the opening track of album three.

But fuck me, they became boring after making ten million pounds from that song about opening the curtains.

His anecdotes on his 6 Music show are great:

"I met <insert name of celeb musician> once" And thats the whole anecdote.

Or something fucking tedious about having a kid.

Kankurette

I bought Grace Under Pressure. I am a bad person.

fuzzyste

He is the only person I know on the radio who is into Here We Go Magic so there is that redeeming quality about him.

Asclepius

As a teen (mid-late 90s), I used to read NME, Melody Maker and, occasionally Q if I was feeling flush, or I was heading on a long train journey.

Obviously, NME and Melody Maker have had a deserved kicking for their misogyny at the time, but Q was absolutely off the wall for it, wasn't it? Such a snide, snide magazine, too. Everything was a joke, an in-joke. Just sneering at everything.

It was probably the only thing I read in the mid/late 90s that was aimed at people slightly older than me. Did it exist in a vacuum, or was other stuff targetted at proper adults that - in retrospect - depressing and full of bile?

Asclepius

That post was, obviously, in response to the Q mention earlier...