Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:28:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby

Started by aaaaaaaaaargh!, January 20, 2008, 03:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Joy Nktonga on February 07, 2009, 04:37:04 PM
I don't understand, though, why when Armitage was tackled mid-air their player just got a talking to while Geraghty got sin binned for the same offence.

My guess would be that the referee was looking at the hardness of the fall when he took into account whether or not to dish out the yellow card. 

Bloody hell the Eddie Butler/Phillip Matthews commentary pairing is phenomenally annoying.  Butler's squirming of delight when Harinordoquy scored was tangible as he's just so desperate to prove to everyone that he can pronounce his name, like the precocious 8 year old that he is and Matthews is so one-eyed, although he has toned it down a fraction.  Lovely try by the French, a typically French try. 

pre submit edit - Oh God, they're playing music after the scores, I didn't expect that at Croke Park

edit - what a finish by Heaslip, bloody great finish

second edit - O'Driscoll turning back the clock there - all the tries in this match have been pleasing on the eye.  Ireland have really recovered well after a ropey start.

actwithoutwords

FUCKING COME ON.
Great game too I thought, some wonderful fast attacking stuff from both sides. First French try was absolutely excellent, but Heaslip's was just as good. France looked capable of tearing us apart at any moment for much of the game, but after D'Arcy's try (which was a superb finish) we kept a lid on them a bit better. Can't believe we actually beat the frogs. It's been a looong time. Nice to be feeling good about Irish rugby again. Kidney was phenomenal at Munster, the only thing I've been afraid of is his effect on Munster/Leinster politics in the team, but if he can get them playing together like that on a regular basis that's hugely encouraging.

morgs

Two very different matches - one classy and exciting, and the other featuring Italy.  Fingers crossed we get a close, exciting one at Murrayfield tomorrow.

rjd2

The Ireland game was really good, cant read much into England really, they trashed a poor side. I cant wait to see Wales murder the Scots tomorrow.

remedial_gash

Quote from: rjd2 on February 07, 2009, 09:21:53 PM
The Ireland game was really good, cant read much into England really, they trashed a poor side. I cant wait to see Wales murder the Scots tomorrow.

Thrashed?

Are you sure?

They were gifted the first half by a player who proved to be a worse scrummie than my dead nan - and she's really shit, what with being dead an' all.

They struggled manfully to overcome a shit-house 'talian team, at home, with limited possession after being handed a 22-6 lead. Fucking thrashing obviously.

Ho-Hum, England might get reamed next week, but then again, they might not.

As a taff, I'm not at all convinced that we can beat the Scots up there. Fucking tidy 8, obviously weakened by their withdrawals, but a bloody good unit. Had they played Thom Evans and Patterson, I'd be conceding now; but we have a chance at least.

Gash
x

rjd2

Quote from: remedial_gash on February 07, 2009, 10:02:34 PM
Thrashed?

Are you sure?

They were gifted the first half by a player who proved to be a worse scrummie than my dead nan - and she's really shit, what with being dead an' all.

They struggled manfully to overcome a shit-house 'talian team, at home, with limited possession after being handed a 22-6 lead. Fucking thrashing obviously.

Ho-Hum, England might get reamed next week, but then again, they might not.

As a taff, I'm not at all convinced that we can beat the Scots up there. Fucking tidy 8, obviously weakened by their withdrawals, but a bloody good unit. Had they played Thom Evans and Patterson, I'd be conceding now; but we have a chance at least.

Gash
x

So a 25 points victory is not a trashing? Sure Italy were silly with their selections but England took advantage and despite not exactly being awesome they still won the match very easily.

morgs

Another Welshie here who isn't as confident as many others seem to be.  I have more faith in a home win next week v England than a result at Murrayfield.  I really hope we do it though, I get so much grief for being Welsh in this tiny corner of Kent.

Strange day of Sport, Dean Windass played a blinder in goal for Oldham after their goalkeeper was sent off. Imagine if Oldham decided in their next game to start with Windass in goal. It would be kinda like a rugby team playing a flanker at Scrum Half wouldn't it?

England were pretty rank, though there were some positives - Haskell looked good before he once again got sin binned. Kennedy was decent in the lineout. Cueto looked threatening with limited ball and Ellis had a decent sixty minutes.

Addressing the faults seems to be a major issue, somehow England need to find some continuity in the backs, once again neither centre made any yards and passing is a massive issue which is surprising considering Smith is part of the coaching staff, his brand of counter attacking rugby could be a decent way of making up for the lack of possesion in open play.

remedial_gash

Quote from: rjd2 on February 07, 2009, 10:18:02 PM

So a 25 points victory is not a trashing? Sure Italy were silly with their selections but England took advantage and despite not exactly being awesome they still won the match very easily.

Well, under the circumstances, no.

Did you 'discover' rugby in 2003 perchance?

You have to understand that with burgermeister at scrum-half, he was wholly responsible for the conceding of three tries.

With an amateur scrummie, which Italy played in the second half, they scored a try and should have scored a second.

England took all their tries well, but created absolutely nothing in the first half, were turned over for fun and Sheridan was 'found out' (if that's still an applicable sentence) on two occasions.

England kicked away far too much possession,and barely gave their backs a chance. Ellis was sharp and spikey, Goode guaranteed his place next week (thankfully), and you spent 20 minutes as 14 men men thanks to the idiocy that seems to be a hangover from the A.I.s.

If Italy had started with a proper half back paring, I imagine that you'd have won 22-13, a decent win against a poor side, but I can't see you beating Ireland at this point, but I'd never bet bet against you beating the French, or us.

A spanking indeed.

Gash
x

rjd2

Quote from: remedial_gash on February 07, 2009, 10:36:03 PM
Well, under the circumstances, no.

Did you 'discover' rugby in 2003 perchance?

You have to understand that with burgermeister at scrum-half, he was wholly responsible for the conceding of three tries.

With an amateur scrummie, which Italy played in the second half, they scored a try and should have scored a second.

England took all their tries well, but created absolutely nothing in the first half, were turned over for fun and Sheridan was 'found out' (if that's still an applicable sentence) on two occasions.

England kicked away far too much possession,and barely gave their backs a chance. Ellis was sharp and spikey, Goode guaranteed his place next week (thankfully), and you spent 20 minutes as 14 men men thanks to the idiocy that seems to be a hangover from the A.I.s.

If Italy had started with a proper half back paring, I imagine that you'd have won 22-13, a decent win against a poor side, but I can't see you beating Ireland at this point, but I'd never bet bet against you beating the French, or us.

A spanking indeed.

Gash
x

Well if we must be precise it was 95, so less of the patronising tone please! I know Italy contributed to their own downfall hugely and I am not proclaiming England AS THE GREATEST TEAM EVA now, but despite not playing that well they as you said took the tries well and were always a substantial margin clear of Italy. I agree that if Italy were not as silly with their selections then it would have being closer, but their stupidity is not England's fault. They did what they had to do. Trashing may have being a bit strong so maybe a better term to use  such as cruised to victory may have being more apt.
P.S I am from the Emerald Isle unfortunately.

remedial_gash

Quote from: rjd2 on February 07, 2009, 11:10:53 PM
Well if we must be precise it was 95, so less of the patronising tone please! I know Italy contributed to their own downfall hugely and I am not proclaiming England AS THE GREATEST TEAM EVA now, but despite not playing that well they as you said took the tries well and were always a substantial margin clear of Italy. I agree that if Italy were not as silly with their selections then it would have being closer, but their stupidity is not England's fault. They did what they had to do. Trashing may have being a bit strong so maybe a better term to use  such as cruised to victory may have being more apt.
P.S I am from the Emerald Isle unfortunately.

Perhaps so, bizarre that you should have such a view being a long suffering Irish type.

Cruised?

Again, you seem to be a fuckwit.

Try watching the game.

They were given... that's GIVEN 22 points.

How much of this is hard for you to understand?

AND

Italy ARE shit.

Do you see?

Gash
x

rjd2

Quote from: remedial_gash on February 07, 2009, 11:22:58 PM
Perhaps so, bizarre that you should have such a view being a long suffering Irish type.

Cruised?

Again, you seem to be a fuckwit.

Try watching the game.

They were given... that's GIVEN 22 points.

How much of this is hard for you to understand?

AND

Italy ARE shit.

Do you see?

Gash
x

Why do you have to be so rude over a disagreement over a game of egg chasing? They were handed the first half sure which allowed them to cruise not that convincing admit tingly to victory. It may not have being a wonderful match and I can't imagine it will cause sleepless nights for Wales and Ireland but heh it's a start after a brutal few months.

remedial_gash

Quote from: rjd2 on February 07, 2009, 11:31:22 PM
Why do you have to be so rude over a disagreement over a game of egg chasing? They were handed the first half sure which allowed them to cruise not that convincing admit tingly to victory. It may not have being a wonderful match and I can't imagine it will cause sleepless nights for Wales and Ireland but heh it's a start after a brutal few months.

Now do you see?

You have no feel for the game - it's just egg-chasing to you.

Honestly, 60% of Wales couldn't give a toss about rugby, and they are pretty thick too.

Why bother getting involved when you'll just refer to it as egg-chasing.

English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh fans go on tour 'together' every four years, and if you can find a year when the French 'kicked off', I'll give you  a boiled sweet.

i might 'hate' the English team, but I don't 'Hate' the guy sitting next to me when we lose.

We'll go for a curry and a beer, and take the piss.

Gash
x

rjd2

Quote from: remedial_gash on February 07, 2009, 11:53:49 PM
Now do you see?

You have no feel for the game - it's just egg-chasing to you.

Honestly, 60% of Wales couldn't give a toss about rugby, and they are pretty thick too.

Why bother getting involved when you'll just refer to it as egg-chasing.

English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh fans go on tour 'together' every four years, and if you can find a year when the French 'kicked off', I'll give you  a boiled sweet.

i might 'hate' the English team, but I don't 'Hate' the guy sitting next to me when we lose.

We'll go for a curry and a beer, and take the piss.

Gash
x

It was meant as a piss take no more no less, I like rugby as well ( I have spent enough on it and am currently devoting a shit load of college time to it) I do have a feel for the game maybe not as much as you, but enough to be able to understand and enjoy the game. Cant we call it a truce and admit that Scotland will win tomorrow? Pretty please!

morgs

Scotland had better not win!  I couldn't stand the pain!

Quote from: remedial_gash on February 07, 2009, 11:22:58 PM
Again, you seem to be a fuckwit

Great posts

Contribute more to this forum

On second thought

Stick a fork into the mains

You cunting moron

TBC

x

remedial_gash

Quote from: rjd2 on February 08, 2009, 12:07:59 AM
It was meant as a piss take no more no less, I like rugby as well ( I have spent enough on it and am currently devoting a shit load of college time to it) I do have a feel for the game maybe not as much as you, but enough to be able to understand and enjoy the game. Cant we call it a truce and admit that Scotland will win tomorrow? Pretty please!

Happily dearie... and they probably will.

Gash
x

remedial_gash

Quote from: The Boston Crab on February 08, 2009, 01:26:01 AM
Great posts

Contribute more to this forum

On second thought

Stick a fork into the mains

You cunting moron

TBC

x

Hilarious!

You've contributed nothing to this thread, so why not continue in that fashion, you utter s*****c.

gash
x

rudi

QuoteThrashed?

Are you sure?

No, he said "trashed" not "thrashed". One implies beating easily (which they did, however poorly), the other implies a huge score.

Learn to read, you rude prick.

remedial_gash

Quote from: rudi on February 08, 2009, 11:10:51 AM
No, he said "trashed" not "thrashed". One implies beating easily (which they did, however poorly), the other implies a huge score.

Learn to read, you rude prick.

I presumed that it was typo, as I'm obviously unaware of trashed implying a 'huge score'.

Do you have anything to add to the debate?

Gash
x

Quote from: remedial_gash on February 08, 2009, 11:25:27 AM
Do you have anything to add to the debate?

More importantly, do you?  I assume that you were pissed last night and that an apology is forthcoming to rjd2 for your needless insults.

Fuck me Webster got smashed there!

edit - this has been all Wales so far, they look like they're going to paste Scotland.

second edit - so it's a yellow card then is is Jonathan?  Is it, is it?  I don't think you really reiterated that it was a yellow card offence enough there.  Webster's now being sick on the pitch, the Scots will be lucky to have 15 fit men by the end of this!

thepuffpastryhangman

Attempted pre-match login would've offered a  bold 13-42 prediction. Now it's hard to see Scotland reaching double figures. 20+ second half pts for Wales.

morgs

Well, it's taken me this long to get on... but a satisfactory win for Wales overaall.  Now, next week, Wales v England... in theory it should be a Welsh win, but there's that nagging doubt in the back of my mind, especially if there is no Shane Williams. 

My English friends have been very negative about their team, and it was amusing to hear today that the England players were 'put off' by the noise from the crowd at Twickenham... god knows what they will make off the Millennium Stadium!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/sixnations/4568374/England-spooked-by-the-Twickenham-crowd-says-Brian-Smith.html

remedial_gash

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on February 08, 2009, 11:30:03 AM
More importantly, do you?  I assume that you were pissed last night and that an apology is forthcoming to rjd2 for your needless insults.

Indeed, I was utterly pissed and apologise to the board for my attitude, which was fairly horrific.

I stand by what I said, in essence, as it was fairly accurate account of England's performance.

I feel no more optimistic following Wales' result against Scotland, because England will pose a different challenge.

They should kick to the corners and challenge our piss-weak lineout, and they'll have a chance.

Once again, my absurd rudeness was inexcusable and I apologise, especially to rjd2.

Gash
x

rjd2

Quote from: remedial_gash on February 10, 2009, 07:19:52 PM

Once again, my absurd rudeness was inexcusable and I apologise, especially to rjd2.

Gash
x

No offense taken,

Challenge Cup final tickets can be had for a tenner if you phone 0871 2261313 (Wednesday only).

^^^^ those tickets go on sale next Wednesday in case you missed them this time round (oh, and if there's any left, naturally).

Bloody hell, just listened to an interview with Steve Borthwick on 5 Live.  The man is a master of double speak, from listening to him you'd have thought that England were playing in a way which was somewhere approaching average at the moment.  The whole interview consisted of say nothing management style bullshit, nothing of worth or anything reflecting what has actually recently happened in the world was said.  Oh, and England have recalled Tindall and Worsley, good grief, it's a brave new dawn folks!

If Wales play like they did in the first 20 minutes against Scotland it's going to be very painful for England.  If Wales play like they did in the last 20 minutes against Scotland it's going to be marginally less painful for England.

Old Thrashbarg

A good win for Hull to kick-off the season. Despite some obvious rustiness, which was to be expected, there were a lot of good signs and with two top quality internationals still to come back into that side, plus others like Berrigan and Washbrook having their first hit-out for months, it looks promising. Add in Crocker/A N Other and I'm very optimistic for the rest of the season.

Wigan were woeful though. Considering they've already had a league game, along with two friendlies compared to Hull's one, they looked really off the pace. After Feka's first stint, they offered nothing going forwards and the only threatening attacking option was, unsurprisingly, the cross-field kick to Richards. Defensively, they're weren't much better, giving up far too much ground and conceding some really soft penalties. Noble needs to turn it round quickly or he'll be gone.

Good comeback by Saints last night too, although Longy's kicking is very poor and the lack of a kicker could really cost them.

edit - Leeds star Eastwood denied visa

As for the Six Nations today, well, the good news for England is that Shane Williams is injured and won't play today.  The bad news for England is that they are shite at the moment.