Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters 6: Frozen Empire (2024)

Started by Bad Ambassador, November 08, 2023, 04:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

New York City... being cold???? Thats CRAZY

SteveDave

No Acaster in that trailer. So will he be a voice of a ghost?

madhair60

his role was cut due to his "annoying voice"

Jerzy Bondov

They've only bloody gone and frozen the empire. fuck sake.

dontpaintyourteeth

Ghosbusters question the fundamental need for a frosty climate

frajer

When there's something cold
In your empire
Who ya gonna call?

The... Ghostbusters?

Oh it's spooky ice?

Then yeah... Ghostbusters. Yeah? Yeah.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: madhair60 on November 08, 2023, 04:36:57 PMghostbusters afterlife is the worst film ever made and anyone who likes it is genuinely stupid, no offence. this looks like it has the potential to be less dreadful than that abyss of cow shit, but i will be pirating it online for free and absolutely not giving a penny to jason reitman, who i have cruelly dubbed "jason wrongman".

Feel free to hate it as much as you wish I'm not here to defend it but to say this is the worst film ever made in a world where Ready Player One exists is just objectively wrong

dead-ced-dead

Afterlife is a technically better film than Answer the Call, just in terms of filmmaking, photography etc. Paul Feig being from the Judd Apatow "plonk the camera in one position in mid-shot and catch some people improvising" school of filmmaking. Reitman is just objectively a better technician than Feig.

Buuuuuut, I was really put off by Afterlife not - in any way - being a comedy. The odd Paul Rudd one liner a comedy doesn't make. It was a serviceable YA adventure, but so at odds with Ghostbusters. Answer the Call at least had funny people occasionally being funny.

letsgobrian

Quote from: SteveDave on November 09, 2023, 09:10:14 AMNo Acaster in that trailer. So will he be a voice of a ghost?

He's there, holding a torch at 1:28.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 09, 2023, 10:53:14 AMAfterlife is a technically better film than Answer the Call, just in terms of filmmaking, photography etc. Paul Feig being from the Judd Apatow "plonk the camera in one position in mid-shot and catch some people improvising" school of filmmaking. Reitman is just objectively a better technician than Feig.

Buuuuuut, I was really put off by Afterlife not - in any way - being a comedy. The odd Paul Rudd one liner a comedy doesn't make. It was a serviceable YA adventure, but so at odds with Ghostbusters. Answer the Call at least had funny people occasionally being funny.

I feel similar. I don't think Ghostbusters 2016 is very funny at all with its laboured improv-y dialogue and its overriding principle that every character on screen needs to be doing wacky shtick at all times (and I hate the boring generic superhero movie climax), but you could at least see the logic of trying to make it a vehicle for a batch of contemporary sketch comedy actors like the original one was. Whereas yeah, the earnest, weepy, reverent approach of these new ones is just baffling to me.

When I watched Ghostbusters as a kid I guess I did enjoy the spooky supernatural adventure stuff and the aesthetic of the ghosts and the proton packs and everything, but mainly I liked it because it was a funny comedy film that had jokes in it. I wasn't sitting there wishing it was dramatic and serious or that it felt like a pastiche of E.T or Close Encounters. I don't quite understand how you get from A to B there.

Here's another random thing about Ghostbusters. That bit near the start of the original film where Bill Murray says "Call it luck, Call it fate..." In a sort of melodic cadence as the music swells up in a way that kind of matches - did everyone else always think it sounds like he's about to burst into a musical number at that point?

madhair60

fuck you for posting the inland empire face

Jerzy Bondov

So we're supposed to believe global warming is real and yet at the same time New York City has been frozen in ice? Yeah right

Mister Six

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 09, 2023, 08:39:03 AMNew York City... being cold???? Thats CRAZY

It is these days. Barely snowed last winter, and it's only just gone below 12 degrees C in the past week or so.

Shaky

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on November 09, 2023, 11:41:11 AM\Here's another random thing about Ghostbusters. That bit near the start of the original film where Bill Murray says "Call it luck, Call it fate..." In a sort of melodic cadence as the music swells up in a way that kind of matches - did everyone else always think it sounds like he's about to burst into a musical number at that point?

Oh yeah, every single viewing there's a split-moment where I think, "Here comes the song..." Such an odd little touch in a film full of them.

If I leave my midlife cynicism to one side, I'm looking forward to this new film and thought Afterlife was perfectly fine and better than GB2 in some ways. Thanks.

dead-ced-dead

Afterlife is perfectly fine, and some of the harrumphing is a little overblown. It's just more of a YA adventure than a comedy.

famethrowa

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on November 09, 2023, 11:41:11 AMHere's another random thing about Ghostbusters. That bit near the start of the original film where Bill Murray says "Call it luck, Call it fate..." In a sort of melodic cadence as the music swells up in a way that kind of matches - did everyone else always think it sounds like he's about to burst into a musical number at that point?

Absolutely yes! What a wonderful little moment it is.

madhair60

afterlife is cancer and if you like it you are a fucking idiot who laps up any slop imaginable and says mmm more slop please i'm a stupid little slop boy, mmmm, give me lovely slop from your big brown bottom, mmm i love it, lovely slop

that is what you are.

SteveDave

Mister Six

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 09, 2023, 12:21:15 PMIt's just more of a YA adventure than a comedy.

You say that like it's an acceptable thing.

I read a pretty big spoiler for this

Spoiler alert
The kid who we thought was Egon's offspring was actually created from a ghost egg inseminated by the slime of Louis Tully
[close]

Butchers Blind

Quote from: madhair60 on November 09, 2023, 01:15:49 PMafterlife is cancer and if you like it you are a fucking idiot who laps up any slop imaginable and says mmm more slop please i'm a stupid little slop boy, mmmm, give me lovely slop from your big brown bottom, mmm i love it, lovely slop

that is what you are.

I believe this is word for word the review in Sight and Sound.

boki

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 09, 2023, 10:31:14 AMThey've only bloody gone and frozen the empire. fuck sake.
You're only supposed to blow the freezer drawers cold!

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Mister Six on November 08, 2023, 10:43:49 PMLooks shit.

Is it just me or is lots of people dying horribly in a Ghostbusters movie a bit off?

I mean, I know the ghosts come from somewhere, but I don't think they ever actually killed anyone in the first two films, did they?

Anyway, I reckon this will bomb. The first one had some novelty and the "ooh, the Ghostbusters are back" cameos. This looks like it could be a fucking Transformers film if you made those ice spikes into metal and had the ambulance turn into a twat.

Yeah you're right: GB 1 and 2 the ghosts kind of just terrorised people, but there was no actual deaths. Yes, there was the threat of peril, but it was generally just people running away from cartoony ghosts. This looks too serious, and if they are throwing mass innocent deaths into the plot, it's already took away one of the main things I loved and held dear about the first two films (in that you didn't come away feeling sad about the thought of yeah the day's been saved, but what about those innocent folk that got killed along the way. No one died, everything was okay in the end)

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on November 09, 2023, 11:41:11 AMWhen I watched Ghostbusters as a kid I guess I did enjoy the spooky supernatural adventure stuff and the aesthetic of the ghosts and the proton packs and everything, but mainly I liked it because it was a funny comedy film that had jokes in it. I wasn't sitting there wishing it was dramatic and serious or that it felt like a pastiche of E.T or Close Encounters. I don't quite understand how you get from A to B there.
That sums up what I was trying to say, only much better.

We're rebooting Friday the 13th, but Jason Voorhees is just going to be looking for love in this one, not murdering people. We might throw in a joke or two about his machete to keep the original fans on board.

BritishHobo

Is Acaster gonna be there as the Rick Moranis type? Revealed at the end to be Rick Moranis's son?

Quote from: madhair60 on November 09, 2023, 01:15:49 PMafterlife is cancer and if you like it you are a fucking idiot who laps up any slop imaginable and says mmm more slop please i'm a stupid little slop boy, mmmm, give me lovely slop from your big brown bottom, mmm i love it, lovely slop

that is what you are.

Hanson considers rewrite

beanheadmcginty

Blowjob ghost finishes Ray to completion just in time for the ice wave to hit New York and freeze a huge arc of his spunk in mid air.

dissolute ocelot

Surely they could do an adult Ghostbusters movie (with the cast of the 2016 film swearing a lot and doing violence) and a child Ghostbusters movie (with the cast of Afterlife gazing in wonder at wheat-fields a lot), and then everyone could mix them up and accidentally show their kids 30 minutes of Kate McKinnon getting cunnilingus off Slimer. And then there would be 6 films and this thread would not be a lie.

The truth is, all the Ghostbusters movies after 1 are OK, 1 is the best, and the TV show is a documentary.

Video Game Fan 2000

so sad. like making increasingly less funny and higher stakes Big Lebowskis where the Dude and Walter progressive fight the mafia, inner city gangs and the yakuza

leave it to its time