Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst Taglines

Started by Small Man Big Horse, March 26, 2024, 03:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

I hate those taglines, mainly comedies, that just bloody count things in the film.

Ten dogs. Nine cats. One outrageous movie.

Or whatever

non capisco

A MONK. A PUNK. A CHICK. IN A KICK-ASS FLICK.

"A CHICK" is in this, it says here. Phwoooaaarrrr, nice one, I love those!!!

Also, this was on the side of London buses in whatever year it came out for MONTHS. Long after Bulletproof Monk had come and gone, I reckon. Who in London says "I fancy seeing a FLICK later. Can you check the newspaper to see if there are any KICK-ASS ones playing? No, not 'Kick-Ass'. That came later."

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on March 26, 2024, 08:53:35 PM

Utter nonsense even before the weird typo on the DVD cover.

Ha, the pure laziness of that one shines through, and while I was thinking about possibly watching it, I came across another poster with an awfully unoriginal tagline.

fucking ponderous

A friend of mine had a Jurassic World promotional cup with the tagline "The park is gone" on it. I always thought that was stupid if you thought about it for a second.

Dr Rock

RAW DEAL

NOBODY GIVES HIM A RAW DEAL!

Well the title implies someone has. Or who got a raw deal? Or is it that he got a raw deal and he's going to prove that was a big mistake, although technically again, he was given a raw deal. Or maybe his name is Raw Deal, like Die Hard's name is Die Hard.

beanheadmcginty

phantom_power

The original tagline for Ghoulies was going to be "They'll eat your ass" before the more pun-based "They'll get you in the end"

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 26, 2024, 05:49:45 PMIs all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?

One for Up the Arse Corner.

No fucking way.

I know everyone's coked, horsed, meffed, phetted, gacked, cranked and poldarked up to the arsehole in Hollywood but how does anything like that get past the "ha ha, no but seriously we can't actually put that out" phase?

Spoiler alert
Now someone tell me it's a photoshop and I'm gullible as f
[close]

idunnosomename

It does seem to have been sent out to websites by Warner Bros in early 2010. Whether it was ever distributed in print is another matter. Its a photoshop (rather than a single render) because the lighting is inconsistent - Boo Boo's left eye is in shadow when Yogi's is lit. Maybe they knew full well it would get mocked on the internet?

Worked in the end because the film did well at the box office

jobotic

Midnight Cowboy: Hey, he's Walking Here!

El Unicornio, mang

I was trying to figure out if there's a pun here but no they're just telling you it's a good film.

Then added another bit to let people know not to just take their word for it

Would still have both on my wall though

Bad Ambassador

Some of the Old Hollywood ones are hilarious. The Marlon Brando version of Julius Caesar was promoted as "greater than Ivanhoe!", referring to the previous year's critical and commercial smash, which which it had basically nothing in common.

"Hey, do you like movies set in the past? Then we've got great news for you!"

Glebe

thenoise

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 27, 2024, 10:59:00 AMSome of the Old Hollywood ones are hilarious. The Marlon Brando version of Julius Caesar was promoted as "greater than Ivanhoe!", referring to the previous year's critical and commercial smash, which which it had basically nothing in common.

"Hey, do you like movies set in the past? Then we've got great news for you!"

When scraping the bottom of the VHS horror barrel in the 90s, obscure horror movies would often be advertised based on their tenuous cast/crew connections with better, more famous, films.

'From the executive producer that brought you Pet Semetary'... that sort of thing.

thenoise

- reissue of The Third Man. Makes reference to the theme music, but not to the film itself. Very strange.

Glebe

*every facepalm gif ever*

Sicario also opens with that explanation in case you did't see the poster. It makes a bit more sense because it explains that it had a different origin before saying what it means in Mexico.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: thenoise on March 27, 2024, 04:00:31 PMWhen scraping the bottom of the VHS horror barrel in the 90s, obscure horror movies would often be advertised based on their tenuous cast/crew connections with better, more famous, films.

'From the executive producer that brought you Pet Semetary'... that sort of thing.

I remember seeing something like "from two of the six producers of Scary Movie" on a later spoof film DVD cover and couldn't figure out if it was genuine or a satirical dig, as the film it was promoting didn't seem to be going for that kind of humour.

Doesn't executive producer usually just mean "put money in"? There's no creative implications at all!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: thenoise on March 27, 2024, 04:00:31 PMWhen scraping the bottom of the VHS horror barrel in the 90s, obscure horror movies would often be advertised based on their tenuous cast/crew connections with better, more famous, films.

I've seen quite a few "From the co-producer of..." posters like the one below:

It's probably really mean of me but I always think either "Hey, what happened to the other producer, why aren't they involved in this? What's wrong with it?" or "Oh, never produced you only movie before, eh? What makes you think you can this time around?" even though I know logically that being a producer can be a nightmarish and exhausting job.

Bad Ambassador

Executive producers generally find money and resources for projects.

Associate producers find and connect with talent, and it's traditionally a title given to underlings in lieu of a rise.

notjosh

This is definitely not like anything you have ever seen before, no sir.

Who? From Japan you say? I have literally never heard of them.

Glebe

Quote from: notjosh on March 29, 2024, 04:08:33 PM

Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the beach - Killer Promenade!

Shaxberd

Great artwork, lazy afterthought of a tagline.

Quote from: Shaxberd on April 02, 2024, 11:02:39 AM

Great artwork, lazy afterthought of a tagline.

Only two A's in CRAAZZY? That doesn't sound sufficiently crazy at all. It's barely even zany.

Catalogue Trousers

Plus the original tagline was 'In Space no one can hear you eat ice cream', which is way better.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 27, 2024, 07:48:14 PMI've seen quite a few "From the co-producer of..." posters like the one below:

Lake Placid was marketed as "From the creator of Ally McBeal and the director of Halloween H2O". Which maybe conveys the fact that it's a horror comedy but still seems bizarrely niche marketing. Especially as it doesn't feature a giant baby killing and eating people.

Glebe

That is indeed a strange demographic!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on April 04, 2024, 07:50:44 PMThat is indeed a strange demographic!

True, but I think I now might be one of them!