Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Gentlemen (Guy Ritchie Netflix series)

Started by Blue Jam, March 10, 2024, 10:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Guy Richie getting on the "insufferable super-rich arseholes" bandwagon. Just watched episode 1. Despite some very poor jokes (such as one character's middle names including "Landrover") the likes of Giancarlo Esposito as a sinister and suspect wine buff and Peter Serafinowicz as an impressively sadistic Scouse gangster kept me watching:

Seems only slightly related to the 2019 film, is that worth a butcher's?

Blue Jam

Benjaminos

I'm having fun imagining that Pearce Quigley is playing the same vicar character as he did in 15 Storeys High, just after some pretty dramatic changes in his life.

Blue Jam

Hahahahaha... I forgot to mention Pierce Quigley, massively enjoying him in this.

The Giancarlo Esposito character is a bit cheeky innit? Soft-spoken, besuited meth baron who is also a wine buff? Think we've seen that before.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Benjaminos on March 12, 2024, 10:45:07 AMI'm having fun imagining that Pearce Quigley is playing the same vicar character as he did in 15 Storeys High, just after some pretty dramatic changes in his life.

Funny you should mention that - when they cut to Suzie visiting Peter Serafinowicz's character at his workplace, all I could think of was CUUUUMMMUNCLEENYANDSONMICOOOOOAT-AH.

Started watching this last night. It's exactly what you'd expect it to be really, isn't it. Silly verging on stupid at times, but quite funny and engaging. I love the deliberately hammy overacting from pretty much every character. Also nice to see a slightly different role for Vinnie Jones, albeit one that feels like it could revert to his usual character at a moment's notice.

Blue Jam

I loved the way the chicken bit was properly menacing, and I loved the gratuitous Scouse:

Spoiler alert
"EAT THE WERM YOU FOOKIN' CHICKEN!"
[close]

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 12, 2024, 11:27:50 AMIt's exactly what you'd expect it to be really, isn't it.

Yeah, good fun overall and pretty hammy (not from Vinnie Jones though, who did a decent understated performance).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 12, 2024, 10:47:40 AMThe Giancarlo Esposito character is a bit cheeky innit? Soft-spoken, besuited meth baron who is also a wine buff? Think we've seen that before.
Yes. It's just like his character in The Mandalorian.

I am being silly, of course. It's just like his character in The Boys.

Blue Jam

notjosh

I like that Giancarlo Esposito is the same in everything. He's a 21st century Sydney Greenstreet.

Blue Jam

Ep. 4. Freddie "cousin of Lozza" Fox playing a privileged struggling toff actor is fucking funny.

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 12, 2024, 03:00:42 PMYeah, good fun overall and pretty hammy (not from Vinnie Jones though, who did a decent understated performance).

It's also funny to see Vinnie Jones of all people being understated in the midst of all the hamminess.

EDIT: AHAHAHA NO WAY

Spoiler alert
JOHN THOMPSON!
[close]

EDIT 2:

Spoiler alert
Getting a bit Father Ted now... oh Lozza must be raging at this, fucking marvellous
[close]

Blue Jam

I can't quite put my finger on why, but I am really not liking the character of Susie Glarrrrrrssss in this. She just seems a bit charmless, a bit too nasty, someone I suspect I'm supposed to be rooting for against the poshos while actually hoping she gets fed to the pigs, Errol.

I think the problem may be that I keep imagining how much more fun Morwenna Banks would be in the role.

Utter Shit

I thought episode 2 was great. Really, really funny.

Blue Jam

On ep. 7 now. Finding the character of Jimmy the weed farmer increasingly adorable. The combination of being deeply involved with a criminal gang but sweetly naive and unable to say naughty words.

Blue Jam

Is Susie Glarrrrrrss's fackin' dad played by Ray Winstone channelling Logan Roy?

Why the fack isn't Alan Ford in this? Or maybe he is. If he gets a little cameo I may possibly do a little scream.

Mister Six

This is good, then, yeah? I was burned by the Lock, Stock TV show years back. Had a meanspirited streak that the cartooniness of the world didn't quite balance out, and all the protagonists seemed like wankers.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea that show was like a Danny Dyer anecdote

Jack Shaftoe

I really enjoyed this, ended up binging it on the weekend it came out. Vinnie Jones had one of the best performances in it, who'd have thought etc. It definitely has some of the nastiness of GR's films sanded off, it's much easier to root for the various characters, but I don't really mind that.

I did a little cheer at the
Spoiler alert
Guz Khan
[close]
cameo (well, more than a cameo really), he fits into the slightly cartoony world perfectly.

Schnapple

This is extremely enjoyable, yeah. Over-the-top and daft, but in control and nicely paced without being indulgent. I liked the film, this is an improvement. And agreed that it's a nice move to locate Vinnie Jones as the calm centre of the madness, rather than as a nutter.

I often get Ritchie muddled up with Matthew Vaughn these days, but generally find Ritchie has a much more enjoyable rhythm and style.

Icehaven

Struggling to make it to the end of ep 1, it's fucking dire.

PlanktonSideburns

Utter Shit

Quote from: Schnapple on March 15, 2024, 09:47:35 PMI often get Ritchie muddled up with Matthew Vaughn these days, but generally find Ritchie has a much more enjoyable rhythm and style.

I get him mixed up with Nick Love, which somehow seems unfair to both of them.

phes

Quote from: Icehaven on March 15, 2024, 11:36:03 PMStruggling to make it to the end of ep 1, it's fucking dire.

Absolute shite. Watched the whole series!

Mobius

It's quite entertaining. I am enjoying it

Blue Jam

Pete & Bas (you may know them if you know The Northern Boys) have done a tribute:

Noodle Lizard

At first I thought this was good fun, a silly caper. Then the third episode came around and I (correctly) guessed that it was no longer written or directed by Guy Ritchie. Absolutely awful, it was. The sort of thing that usually happens four or five seasons in where everyone's suddenly acting like completely different characters and the plot has seemingly no bearing on anything else.

It's also got some of the most overwritten dialogue imaginable, as if every line in the script has been given a once-over by a thesaurus. You can see actors focusing on reciting it all correctly rather than actually acting.

I'll probably finish it, mind.

The lead actor seemed to be doing a Cary Grant homage.

Alberon

Just started this and liking it so far. Vinnie Jones' character seems to be actually closer to how he actually is.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/vinnie-jones-interview-2024

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Schnapple on March 15, 2024, 09:47:35 PMThis is extremely enjoyable, yeah. Over-the-top and daft, but in control and nicely paced without being indulgent. I liked the film, this is an improvement. And agreed that it's a nice move to locate Vinnie Jones as the calm centre of the madness, rather than as a nutter.

I often get Ritchie muddled up with Matthew Vaughn these days, but generally find Ritchie has a much more enjoyable rhythm and style.
Vaughn's terminally unfunny but if anything focuses more on humor than Ritchie. All quite aggressively try hard

Ritchie if nothing else tends to be pretty good at getting by on the charm of his actors