Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Regime (Kate Winslet/Hugh Grant)

Started by Better Midlands, March 08, 2024, 09:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteKate Winslet stars in this limited series as the Chancellor of an unnamed Central European nation that is unraveling behind the palace walls.

QuoteThe show was created by Will Tracy, who co-wrote the more scathing satirical film The Menu and has written for Succession. The Regime has more in common with comedies like Armando Iannucci's The Death of Stalin, less sharply skewering than farcical.

First episode out now, lots of 1/10 & 10/10 IMDB reviews. It didn't really click with me at all but I'll give another episode a go next week to be sure.

Quite a few familiar Brit faces in the first episode.

Keebleman

That picture looks nothing like Kate Winslet.  Did they give the designer a shot of Rhea Seahorn by mistake?

dissolute ocelot

It seems a bizarre idea - America may be able to take made-up European nations but how will that fly in the UK? To avoid seeming utterly "Dynasty goes to Moldavia" it'll need really great, engrossing characters and acting, but sounds like everyone is kind of horrible. I admit I thought Succession sounded stupid, so maybe it'll turn out OK.

Stephen Frears directs some of it, which I guess is easier than making a British film.

I assume it'll be on Sky some time, but I have many other series yet to watch, some also starring Kate.

dr beat

This sounds right up my street.  I suppose it's meant to be based on Hungary or possibly somewhere like Serbia.

Dex Sawash

Watched a few minutes, death of stalin EU

Dex Sawash

Finished first ep and strange that characters seem well developed but script is a little dull somehow. Reckon it will get gooder though.

Watched the first three episodes and still not really getting it, Hugh Grant is in the next (and final) three so will push on.

dr beat

Went into this with low expectations but got through the first three episodes in quick succession, no pun intended.  It's enjoyable nonsense, but it falls down on a basic issue, namely

Spoiler alert
Kate Winslets character just changes to be whatever suits the plot.
I did like though how Winslet is playing it as Jane Plough from Toast of London.
[close]