Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:41:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Awesome quality journalism

Started by biggytitbo, January 02, 2013, 09:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

I can't fathom Caitlin Moran's appeal. Everything she writes is full of hyphens, swearwords starred out because she's not allowed to use them, and CAPITAL LETTERS WITH LOTS OF EXCLAMATIONS MARKS!!! It's so grating to the point where even if I am interested in the topic she is gibbering about (unlikely since she's the Times "stupid shit" correspondent) I find it completely unreadable and give up after the first paragraph.

And she looks like a bag lady.

mook

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 05, 2013, 08:05:14 AM
I can't fathom Caitlin Moran's appeal. Everything she writes is full of hyphens, swearwords starred out because she's not allowed to use them, and CAPITAL LETTERS WITH LOTS OF EXCLAMATIONS MARKS!!! It's so grating to the point where even if I am interested in the topic she is gibbering about (unlikely since she's the Times "stupid shit" correspondent) I find it completely unreadable and give up after the first paragraph.

And she looks like a bag lady.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/digital/article3633769.ece

this might make you explode, in one way or another. probably not.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sam on January 02, 2013, 10:28:43 AM
Every article she writes is like this.

To be fair, lines like this -

QuoteIt certainly felt like a betrayal to me when I woke up from my first operation for cancer nine years ago, and was looked after by people who seemed to hate their job. It felt like a betrayal when I woke up from my third operation for cancer, three years ago, and was looked after by people who were careless and rude. And it felt like a betrayal to all the people who have written to me since I started writing and speaking about nursing.

- are using repetition in a completely valid way to drive the point home. However, the utter dreadfulness of the rest of the piece leads me to suspect that such moments are alterations by a weary sub-editor rather than the author actually knowing what she's doing. It reads like something a vaguely competent work experience kid has knocked up. That she's been paid actual money to make this thing is infuriating.