Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:24:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is it too early to reminisce about Friday Night Dinner

Started by Utter Shit, February 09, 2024, 01:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

madhair60

PlanktonSideburns

Norton Canes

Cuellar

Lemming

"My father's just died, and you're just putting salt in everything"

lauraxsynthesis

Somehow it was always a surprise that the first time you see dad he's usually topless.

Armin Meiwes

In light of this thread I had to rewatch the 3 Mr Morris episodes and genuinely think he might be the most deranged or at the very least most angry sitcom character in history, I mean where else do you get an 83 year old man ripping a light fixture off the wall for no obvious reason after accusing a five decades younger manchild of molesting them.

Armin Meiwes

Favourite scene is prob the guessing game scene where he demands everyone guess how many heart attacks he's had and then gets v angry at the incorrect guesses before pretending to have a heart attack

horse_renoir

I love the 'Mr Morrison Method' of dealing with household stresses by sitting in the parked car and screaming.

Otisberg

Genuinely brilliant and feels "classic". My kids adore it. Agree that Jim is in it too much and becomes too predictable and broad.

PlanktonSideburns

neveragain

I have to pop in to mention the episode where
Spoiler alert
Wilson dies,
[close]
Mark Heap is sensational there.

Also, to a slightly lesser degree, when he sings Silent Night (I think? Something Christmassy anyway.)

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: neveragain on March 04, 2024, 06:59:09 PMAlso, to a slightly lesser degree, when he sings Silent Night

And horrible grandma's dog dies.

Vodkafone

The line "when is horrible grandma going to die?" has become canon in our household, particularly as we know someone who has a horrible grandma who is minted , so it's a question they often ask themselves. 3.5/5 for me Clive, some great moments and a bit of padding.

Armin Meiwes

Tell you what one thing ive noticed in doing a bit of a rewatch is that they were really not very good at endings! Most of them are just very low level callbacks, kind of often a bit cringe (not in a good way).

neveragain

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on March 08, 2024, 02:20:44 PMTell you what one thing ive noticed in doing a bit of a rewatch is that they were really not very good at endings! Most of them are just very low level callbacks, kind of often a bit cringe (not in a good way).

Yeah, I'd go as far as to say there's a lot of needless repetition (aiming for the Seinfeld model but lacking the necessary rhythm) in it. Also, Popper is fantastic at the weird stuff and his writing is always worth watching but sometimes he falters with the more basic sitcom elements.

KaraokeDragon

Just beginning a rewatch now, I remember finding the half-assedness of the endings working quite well most of the time as long as they hadn't built up too much tension. A favourite was
Spoiler alert
"...Dad, show us your cock"
[close]
but the
Spoiler alert
"PASS ME THE SHITTING PINEAPPLLLLLEE" one
[close]
probably stretched it a bit characterisation wise.

I think someone mentioned it in one of the previous threads but I disliked the ending of that horrible grandma episode where
Spoiler alert
it closes with Martin laughing that his Mother's dead. I get that she's horrible and was a tyrannical presence in Martin's life and that most of the screen time concerning her is supposed to depict that, but I feel the implications of that ending completely piss on and devalue this bit in an earlier episode where he gets her to stop being a cunt briefly by tickling her, which suggests it wasn't just mutual hatred in their relationship.
[close]

I really loved this show overall though, probably one of my favourites.

Bad Ambassador

Remember how they keep trying to make this in the US? Well, they've done it and it look awful.

Streaming on Amazon Freevee from 18 April, to give you time to cancel your account.

BritishHobo

Oh noooo! As always, I hope whoever's working on it gets the chance to develop it into its own thing, as with The Office and Ghosts. The big trouble with it, like with This Country and Welcome to Flatch, is the original is so rooted in Popper's family life, and all of the eccentricity becomes cold if you lose that personal experience. I like Dan Bakkedahl a lot, but Martin as a character walks such a fine line that if you lean too far either way, he'd be ruined. All the madness and the violent jokes and stuff work because he's such a specific character. He's fundamentally harmless in his daftness, and nobody takes him seriously. In somebody else's hands, he could come either as a rubbish Homer Simpson, or a genuinely nasty blokeish prick.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 09, 2024, 10:53:26 AMRemember how they keep trying to make this in the US? Well, they've done it and it look awful.

lauraxsynthesis

Oh GOD if Sooz is in it I might have to have a look. I do like Carol Kane and all

neveragain

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 09, 2024, 10:53:26 AM

It seems like every American comedy made in the last ten or fifteen years has had someone get hit in the head with a football.

BritishHobo

Quote from: KaraokeDragon on March 09, 2024, 05:43:58 AMJust beginning a rewatch now, I remember finding the half-assedness of the endings working quite well most of the time as long as they hadn't built up too much tension. A favourite was
Spoiler alert
"...Dad, show us your cock"
[close]
but the
Spoiler alert
"PASS ME THE SHITTING PINEAPPLLLLLEE" one
[close]
probably stretched it a bit characterisation wise.

I think someone mentioned it in one of the previous threads but I disliked the ending of that horrible grandma episode where
Spoiler alert
it closes with Martin laughing that his Mother's dead. I get that she's horrible and was a tyrannical presence in Martin's life and that most of the screen time concerning her is supposed to depict that, but I feel the implications of that ending completely piss on and devalue this bit in an earlier episode where he gets her to stop being a cunt briefly by tickling her, which suggests it wasn't just mutual hatred in their relationship.
[close]

I really loved this show overall though, probably one of my favourites.

Just watched the pineapple one, and on reflection it feels really tacked on - as if they looked at the script, realised the family come off like absolute shits for the way they treat Jason Watkins, and so decided they needed to make him a thief in order to tip the balance back.

jobotic

Having said I wouldn't rewatch* this J have a but as my partner is.

Actually I could watch Jackie and Martin all day. They're great. Just pissed myself laughing at Martin doing an Elvis wedding.

Grandmas are great too.

Undecided on Jim.

But the boys are so fucking irritating. I we supposed to like Simon Bird's supercilious little shit of a character. He only ever speaks in that one loathsome way.

Then there's Oberman. Sickening person.

* not really a rewatch as I've only seen a few episodes before.

Mobius

I always thought they should have got Simon from The Inbetweeners to play the other brother

Armin Meiwes

The brothers are as annoying as fuck and almost never the funniest thing in any scene but it does work for them to be like that, for everything else to bounce off.

Almost finished my rewatch now and enjoyed it tremendously up to and including S4, so many funny moments, S5 is passable but christ S6 really is abysmal.. just whole episodes of the characters doing things that really make no sense with what we know about them at all. Tbf there was only ever so much you can wring out of such a narrow concept and they did very well to get 24-30 good episodes out of it.

Edgar Balloon III

A big part of my enjoyment of this show was watching it with my wife and her intense hatred of Jim. She liked everything else, but he was always referred to as 'bloody Jim' - usually in the context of 'go away, bloody Jim.'

She still stuck with it until the first episode of series six, which she thought was 'utterly dreadful.' And, though I like the series, it was hard to disagree on that one.