Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:53:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metaltax

A 5-hour episode of CMP with the addition of some follow-up technical sleuthing by Buzby is about as good as it gets.

Been slowly making my way through this episode and Taylor's description of Barry White's post coital rapidly reducing tumescence  "sagging to the side like a boiled leek" had me helplessly laughing as I walked towards a crowd of people on a path. Cheers for slightly embarrassing me once again Taylor.

non capisco

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on July 15, 2020, 09:37:21 AM
Just to flag up that yer boy Taylor Parkes is the guest on this week's episodes of Jon Holmes' 'The The One Show Show' podcast, and he's on good form.

Nice one, cheers Beep Cleep!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Seedsy on July 15, 2020, 12:51:55 PM
Hello folks, first time post. I joined this forum because I've enjoyed this thread so much. Massive chart music fan, and I'd like to echo the general sentiments about Taylor. I can't believe why this man is not paid to write words. Or even a stand up comedian. He has me constantly in stitches during chart music. I'd also love to read his memoirs of his time at melody maker. What a book that would be.

Welcome aboard.  I think they're all very funny, likable (especially Al. He has a Lee Mack/Frank Skinner lightning speed wit) but Taylor is at a different level because of his frighteningly brilliant turn of phrase, and creative use of similes that is up there with Wodehouse. He needs a regular gig. The way he relates to people under thirty made me howl.
Spoiler alert
"Every time I talk to a young person, I feel like the pilot from Airplane".
[close]

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: dr beat on July 04, 2020, 01:43:10 AM

Also
Spoiler alert
"I've driven more beautiful women away than a Swedish undertaker"
[close]

I mean, what a line. Pure Les Dawson. Or maybe Woody Allen?

Just to flag up that yer boy Taylor Parkes is the guest on this week's episodes of Jon Holmes' 'The The One Show Show' podcast, and he's on good form.

Finished listening to today's earlier and immediately put it on again.  Really funny.  Roll on tomorrow's episode. 

It's the first time they've had Taylor on this and you get the impression that Holmes and Haynes really like him, so I hope he returns if they do another series.

gmoney

Marc Haynes and Taylor Parks is the fucking dream team.

Seedsy

Thanks for making me welcome guys.
I don't do social media, twitter/Facebook etc as its just so toxic. I'm also shielding, so chart music and this thread has been a fantastic read. Again thank you

I think my favourite chart music is #32. The 1982
Halloween episode. Piss my pants funny at them ripping Simon bates and his links between the artists. . Taylor describing his awful  non jokes as zen like.

Seedsy

Also, with the 35th anniversary of live aid. Do you think Taylor absolute destruction of Bob geldof justified in the episode about the boomtown rats.
I'm conflicted, I was only 4 when live aid happened. Watching documentaries and footage of it, I'd like to think when Bob seen the Michael Burke report he was jolted onto action. Rather than the opportunistic charlatan that is sometimes portrayed.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Seedsy on July 15, 2020, 06:52:02 PM
Also, with the 35th anniversary of live aid. Do you think Taylor absolute destruction of Bob geldof justified in the episode about the boomtown rats.
I'm conflicted, I was only 4 when live aid happened. Watching documentaries and footage of it, I'd like to think when Bob seen the Michael Burke report he was jolted onto action. Rather than the opportunistic charlatan that is sometimes portrayed.

I think the dissension towards Geldof regarding Band Aid/ Live Aid was that he grabbed all the glory when Midge Ure was equally as integral to the affair. I don't doubt Geldof's sincerity but he can be such a pillock. Mind you, I wouldn't wish the misery he's endured over the last twenty years on my worst enemy.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Thanks! I would never have known about this if you hadn't mentioned it.

Taylor was very funny, as always. I like how, as on CM, you can occasionally hear the rustling of his notes as he delivers a monologue. As we were saying earlier, that lad is always prepared, but it never sounds like he's reading from a piece of paper (even though he is). They're just so well-written and delivered.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 15, 2020, 07:23:44 PM
Thanks! I would never have known about this if you hadn't mentioned it.

Taylor was very funny, as always. I like how, as on CM, you can occasionally hear the rustling of his notes as he delivers a monologue. As we were saying earlier, that lad is always prepared, but it never sounds like he's reading from a piece of paper (even though he is). They're just so well-written and delivered.

He can rustle away like a cow rustler called Russell in a heap of dry russet leaves as far as I'm concerned.

non capisco

Yeah, enjoyed this, our boy Parkes was on good form. As it's another Great Big Owl podcast I wonder if we'll hear more of the Chart Music crew guesting, or is that not how podcast networks work? (I have no idea.) I think Al and Sarah in particular could both be good value in The The One Show Show format. Is this podcast worth listening to in general, then?

I will feel a strange sense of pride when there has to be a second Chart Music thread soon.

Oh, and welcome, Seedsy.

Seedsy

Taylor was a wee bit restrained on the the one show podcast, but he did have a classic TP monologue about accents.

phatfill

Quote from: non capisco on July 15, 2020, 09:58:39 PM
Yeah, enjoyed this, our boy Parkes was on good form. As it's another Great Big Owl podcast I wonder if we'll hear more of the Chart Music crew guesting, or is that not how podcast networks work? (I have no idea.) I think Al and Sarah in particular could both be good value in The The One Show Show format. Is this podcast worth listening to in general, then?

I will feel a strange sense of pride when there has to be a second Chart Music thread soon.

Oh, and welcome, Seedsy.
in short yes if only for marc haynes.Also if your a wrestling fan try  Wrestle me podcast which is also Marc haynes.

DrGreggles

Another thanks for The The One Show Show heads up.
Never heard it before (or watched The One Show), but that was very enjoyable.

Quote from: non capisco on July 15, 2020, 09:58:39 PM

Yeah, I'd say so.  I went in a little apprehensively initially, but grew to really like it.  Some episodes are better than others, mainly down to the source material as they're trying turn dreadful One Show shit into podcast gold and sometimes the odds are stacked against them.   Also, some guests are better than others, but each episode always makes me laugh a good few times, and I've got a lot of time for the hosts. 

The second part of Taylor's episode is up tomorrow, and I believe that's the last of this series for a bit.  But he's been typically brilliant on it, so I really hope he's up for doing more in future. 

I was in pieces at his description of Sally Phillips and Ronnie Ancona's section. 

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 15, 2020, 09:49:16 PM
He can rustle away like a cow rustler called Russell in a heap of dry russet leaves as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely, but there's just something quite funny - endearing, even? - about the thought of Taylor banging this stuff out in his flat and printing it off. And then delivering it so hilariously.

That sounds massively patronising, but I hope you know what I mean. His funny bits aside, my favourite comment from Are Taylor was "I know we're all here to sneer at things, I get that that's the point, but..." and then he said how nice Sally Phillips and Ronnie Ancona are. "You can imagine them being agreeable company."

I cannot stand incessant, sneering, performative irony, it's so boring, which is why I love Chart Music so much. You can tell that the participants are all Good People.

boki

Quote from: gmoney on July 15, 2020, 05:39:38 PM
Marc Haynes and Taylor Parks is the fucking dream team.

I'm inclined to agree.  About half of my podcast feed is graps-related, and Wrestle Me is right up there as a highlight.  One of these days I might actually join the Patreon.

dr beat

Quote from: Seedsy on July 15, 2020, 06:44:42 PM
Thanks for making me welcome guys.
I don't do social media, twitter/Facebook etc as its just so toxic. I'm also shielding, so chart music and this thread has been a fantastic read. Again thank you

I think my favourite chart music is #32. The 1982
Halloween episode. Piss my pants funny at them ripping Simon bates and his links between the artists. . Taylor describing his awful  non jokes as zen like.

Welcome! :) I pretty much have CMP on a constant loop at the best of times, but over these last few months its been a particular tonic.  I'm also a fan of the Halloween one, but I also think episode 51 is a particular high point, given the amount of work thats gone into it.

Almost a 100 pages! Lets give those Labour and Glinner people one *hell* of a beating!

Brundle-Fly

Another favourite CMP moment is the anticipation of Al's ire when certain prolific popular artistes rear their heads again.

"Now we've covered Madonna ...ALL THE FOCKING TIME!!!"

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2020, 03:38:20 PM
Another favourite CMP moment is the anticipation of Al's ire when certain prolific popular artistes rear their heads again.

"Now we've covered Madonna ...ALL THE FOCKING TIME!!!"

"We've already covered Oasis... IN THIS FUCKING EPISODE."

The Roofdog

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 16, 2020, 05:16:01 PM
"We've already covered Oasis... IN THIS FUCKING EPISODE."

The way he delivered that was superb.

The ultimate "we've already covered"s are Lulu and Sir Cliff "An Innocent Man" Richard aren't they. Trying to piece together the trajectory of Lulu's career off the back of her Chart Music appearances makes my head spin. Complicated by the fact that she seemed to get on TOTP all the fucking time in the early 70s even though there was about a 4 year period where no one was buying her records. Then a decent hit with the Bowie cover, then straight away manages to be the only artist so far to slaughter the golden goose of a Bond theme. I thought it was Take That who resuscitated her in the 90s but no, she had a fairly successful album out at the time they came along. More comebacks than Jean Grey.

non capisco

Quote from: The Roofdog on July 17, 2020, 10:16:11 AM
The way he delivered that was superb.

The ultimate "we've already covered"s are Lulu and Sir Cliff "An Innocent Man" Richard aren't they.

And Depeche Mode.

Natnar

I was wondering how long it would be before Chart Music folk would be turning up on other Big Owl Network podcasts since they joined the network. Can't wait to hear Al or Taylor on My Mate Bought A Toaster or Cabin Fever!

phantom_power

I like the ones that go "Formed in 1960, The Beatles were THE FUCKING BEATLES"

SteveDave

Taylor Parkes on TTOSS made me guffaw into my mask this morning when he called Ronni "Veronica" Ancona "middle-aged dating website jackpot"

Which she undoubtedly is. 

Egyptian Feast

Finally, years after I'd intended (and almost a year after I swore to shiftwork2 at the 20th anniversary meet that I'd get right on it), I've finally lost my Chart Music virginity! I dithered about where to begin and was going to flick back through this thread to check a dimly-remembered post about good entry points, but in the end I started with the very first episode. I'm glad I did - their choice of a 1977 episode featuring The Sex Pistols made a lot of sense in setting the scene for future instalments, and it was lovely to hear Al's dedication to Tony Bones' mum for letting him watch TOTP while his dad was watching Emmerdale from his tan bath in front of the fire.

As has been noted frequently in the thread, Al comes across as a top bloke from the second you first hear his voice. I hadn't heard of Sarah Bee until reading this thread, but I liked her and Stubbs straight away too (I particularly enjoyed her frequent callbacks to the tin bath scenario and Stubbs' attempts at a sleazy 70s dad voice). I chuckled when they pointed out that Kid Jensen tended to keep his hands where you could see them, as that's exactly what endeared him to me in the repeats. As BoBB says above, you can tell they're Good People. I'm looking forward to spending (a lot) more time with them.

I loved the easter egg at the end of the show - I hadn't heard that before! I've heard the original far, far too many times, so this is the definitive version for me now, sorry.

I listened to it in little chunks, while going through the video playlist in between (fucking hell, Cilla doing 'Eye Of The Tiger'), so it took most of the morning to get through all 100 minutes. It distracted me nicely from my usual awful thoughts, so definitely a morning well spent. I'll probably keep listening up to the point where all the regular contributors have been introduced, then jump to the most recent episode to see what you're all talking about behind the spoiler text, then go back to where I left off and so on until I've caught up. Glad to finally be on board!

non capisco

Welcome aboard, Egyptian Feast! If you're all in from episode 1 you'll bloody love the rest as there is a bit of a 'finding our feet' vibe to that one. Stay pop crazed!

PS they do all get better microphones a bit later on.

Egyptian Feast

Cheers! I'm currently finishing off the working day with episode 2 and Taylor does sound like he's stuck down a hole. Glad he picked up a better mic.

The lengthy evisceration of Travis (and to a lesser extent Davies) was an absolute joy, but I can tell they've only just started with him.