Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2024

Started by selectivememory, January 01, 2024, 12:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

God, that top half of the women's draw has really fallen apart. It's there for Zheng to take advantage of, just hope she's ready for it.

Anyway, let's go Norriecore.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: selectivememory on January 22, 2024, 08:32:56 AMGod, that top half of the women's draw has really fallen apart. It's there for Dodin to take advantage of, just hope she's ready for it.

Anyway, let's go Norriecore.

Ftfy

selectivememory

Norrie's backhand swing is so funny. Looks like such an unnatural, awkward motion. There's nothing aesthetically pleasing about either of these men's games. Anyway, he's hanging on in there.

selectivememory

Oh dear...

Will just have to trust that Alcaraz will take care of Zverev in the next round.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 22, 2024, 09:26:23 AMOh dear...

Will just have to trust that Alcaraz will take care of Zverev in the next round.

Zverev's not playing anything like his best this tournament, so I'm confident he's toast.

selectivememory

Good bit of unintentional comedy from Alcaraz in his on-court interview when Courier asked him to name a WTA player he likes to watch.

BlodwynPig

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 22, 2024, 10:33:26 AMGood bit of unintentional comedy from Alcaraz in his on-court interview when Courier asked him to name a WTA player he likes to watch.

Menu

Quote from: Deanjam on January 22, 2024, 03:26:30 AMHa ha ha ha ha ha ha! Fool me. Has she ever played worse.

She's just one of the players who it's just never going to happen for anymore. No shame in that, she's just not winning any majors. I'm delighted she's still around but I can't believe people were seriously thinking she might win it.

selectivememory

Sabalenka really shouldn't be losing to anyone left in the draw when she's playing like this. I know it can go off the rails at any moment with her, but Christ, her top level is just insanely good. Needs to get that second major title here.

Deanjam

Thanks God Sinner won that match. At least he has half a chance against Djokovic. Rublev is too much of a headcase.

selectivememory

Rublev seems like a really nice guy, but his on-court behaviour sometimes is tough to watch. Quite a one-dimensional player as well, like there's a reason he keeps butting up against the quarter-finals in the slams (bit like Pegula, very good and consistent player, but definitely a ceiling to his game).

Sinner is the real deal though. Don't know if he'll be able to beat Djokovic, but good to see him pick up where he left off last year. I'm hoping maybe he can push Novak to five in the semis and then Alcaraz might finish him off in the final.

rjd2

Quote from: selectivememory on January 23, 2024, 11:08:16 AMSabalenka really shouldn't be losing to anyone left in the draw when she's playing like this. I know it can go off the rails at any moment with her, but Christ, her top level is just insanely good. Needs to get that second major title here.

She is good on all surfaces but considering her talent its very poor she has only won 1 slam. The implosions are numerous, but I do recall the collapse in the French last year as one of the worst. She will be fav v Gauff but would not bet her with stolen money.

Zheng should come through the other side ideally.

Regarding the men if Novak wins this at least the draw has not collapsed for him at least. The guy is an ATG but so often it does seem like the draw opens up to much for him, not his fault obviously but annoying nonetheless.

Deanjam

Fucking hell Carlos, this is not what we ordered.

selectivememory

Disgusting. Needs to step it up. Really is a stain on the ATP that they've done nothing to address this situation and just let this man continue playing the sport (and are still going out of their way to promote him).

I think Medvedev hates his guts though, so he'll have extra motivation to take him out in the semis if it comes to it. But come on Carlos, he needs to be dealt with here.

Deanjam

Carlos finally woken up. If he pulls this off ...

selectivememory

Would've preferred a nice, quick and clean win for Carlos, but there will be some extra satisfaction in seeing Zverev lose from two sets and a break up. Still a ways to go, but looking good at the moment.

selectivememory

Deanjam

Zverev played well today. Can't deny that. Don't think he has the ability to run through 2 of the remaining 3 (all being better players, for me), but Carlos was a disappointment. Horrible first two sets.

selectivememory

It is a very weird match-up with Medvedev. Lot of unpleasant history between them, compounded by the recent episode of the Netflix show which covered Zverev, didn't mention any of the abuse allegations against him, and specifically portrayed Medvedev as being a villain in contrast to him. Meddy has definitely had the better of it in recent years, so I'm hopeful. They've both been through some long, tough matches in this tournament, but I guess after this one, Zverev looking the more in form.

Meddy-Sinner final is pretty much all I'm interested in seeing from this point. And then hopefully Zheng against whoever comes out of the other half in the women's draw. 

Menu

I'm really tempted to put a small bet on Yastremska to beat Zheng. The latter is 4/9 on. Ridiculous odds for a first time semi-finalist who hasn't beaten anyone in the Top 50(I think) so far. I mean, I agree she's favourite but surely not by this much....? Anyone think it's worth a punt or is it a foregone conclusion?

selectivememory

Probably go about 70-30 in Zheng's favour myself. Think she's really an excellent player and will handle the pressure well. But Yastremska isn't just some rando qualifier. Former top 30 player whose career got a bit derailed in the last few years thanks to a few off-court issues (doping ban, Ukraine war, possibly injuries as well, I'm not sure), but was always a good player, so I definitely wouldn't be surprised if she pulls off the upset. 

selectivememory

As with the US Open final, feeling very much that the result of this one is going to be down to how well Sabalenka can keep her game under control. Went a bit off serving for the set, has otherwise clearly been the better player. At least she doesn't have to deal with that obnoxious American crowd this time.

selectivememory

Did well there to overcome a very bad run of games to play a stunning tiebreak. Definitely feels like it could all implode at any second though.

BlodwynPig

QuotePat Cash
Former Wimbledon champion on BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra and BBC Sounds
It's been a little patchy performance from both players but you've got to take your hat off as they continue to go for the shots

I admit, i took my hat off as they came to play the game that is their job.

"She just stood still on the court for the first set, but i take my hat off for her as she tried to hit the ball in the second"

selectivememory

Nice one, cheers for that Pat mate.

selectivememory

Very impressive win for Sabs in the end. Kept it together when Gauff was putting her under immense pressure with her retrieving.

selectivememory

Heh, Jelena Dokic talking about auctioning off towels for victims of domestic violence in the on-court interview with Sabalenka. Seems like a very pointed reference given who's going to be in the men's semis tomorrow.

Deanjam

I wonder if a second slam will set Sabalenka off on a truly dominant run. She really looks capable of winning any slam, if she can get out of her own head.

selectivememory

I think the French will always be tough (though not impossible) with Swiatek so dominant on the clay, but otherwise, yeah, she should have won all of the other three slams last year and probably should win at least two of them this year. Six slam semifinals in a row is a rare level of consistency in this era of the WTA.

I think she needs to take advantage of the fact that Swiatek and Rybakina have recently been much more vulnerable in the early rounds than she has. Can't imagine that'll continue for too much longer, especially in Iga's case.