Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The wankest film idea ever conceived? Danny Boyle's Ed Sheeran Beatles thing

Started by Thomas, August 31, 2018, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

^ I think a CaBber made the same joke earlier in the thread, impressed it made it to the final script

BlodwynPig

mothman

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 26, 2019, 10:13:06 PM
^ I think a CaBber made the same joke earlier in the thread, impressed it made it to the final script

In the universe where nobody remembers making this joke in the thread, an alternate Mothman is taking credit for it right now!

Replies From View

I hope that I wake up one day to discover that nobody has any memory of Entulmis Fortninshire.  It'd be a fucking hoot plagiarising his shit to make my fortune am I right!

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 26, 2019, 04:08:19 PM
Trying to keep very quiet about how much I like The Beatles in case somebody gets the idea I want to see this fucking film

Why don't you fucking MARRY Ian bastad Curtis if you love the cunt so much then

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 26, 2019, 11:20:27 PM
Why don't you fucking MARRY Ian bastad Curtis if you love the cunt so much then
Maybe I fucking will if that's how you feel

Curtis can write a whole series of these based on his list of things that are good about Britain from Love Actually: "Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that."

Film where only one man can remember David Beckham's feet. Just his feet mind you.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on June 26, 2019, 10:50:56 PM
I hope that I wake up one day to discover that nobody has any memory of Entulmis Fortninshire.  It'd be a fucking hoot plagiarising his shit to make my fortune am I right!

Good luck with that, Entulmis Fortninshire is a fucking hack. Nobody would have given a shit about any of his stuff if his dad wasn't who he was.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 26, 2019, 10:17:22 PM
Beatles and Harry Potter

The very worst of Beige Britain

The ultimate message of this film seems to be that the only way to achieve sucess is to serve up a second hand regurgitation of other people's better ideas.

For a Richard Curtis script that's quite post-modern.

Icehaven

I've seen a few billboards and bus ads for this and there's actually nothing on them that gives away anything about the film's biggest draws (The Beatles and Ed Sheeran), just the gurning heads of the two leads on a nothing background, which makes it look like any old hey-ho rom-com (which it obviously is, albeit one ostensibly about the biggest band ever and featuring one of the most currently popular pop stars on the planet). Even (despite the song's fame) the title is less immediately obvious as a direct Beatles reference (seeing as it's just an every day word) as say something like Day In The Life or Hey Juuuuude or something. How much input/say/permission do the remaining Beatles actually have in the whole thing?

Enrico Palazzo

In that Little White Lies podcast's scathing review of it they stressed that it's a supporting role for Ed Sheeran, NOT JUST A CAMEO.

Head Gardener

BlodwynPig

Replies From View

Ferris

SteveDave

QuoteBoyle has asked that writers not give away a scene that happens towards the end of "Yesterday," but it is a very bad idea embedded within Curtis' already bad idea. It does not involve either of the still-living Beatles — Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr — who mercifully do not appear here. Just imagine the worst and most sentimental idea not involving them and you'll have a rough idea of what occurs.

It's going to be him finding John Lennon's still alive isn't it? Or finding his and George's graves in Liverpool. Next to Eleanor Rigby's!

I've spoilered that just in case.

Jerzy Bondov

I thought Pazza Mac and Ringo were in it? They were in a trailer weren't they? On a talk show? What the fuck

Maybe there's a scene where he goes looking for John and finds him at his mother Julia's funeral - in this universe she lived to a ripe old age.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 26, 2019, 08:52:33 PM
Only 2 people on the planet who hate the Beatles, me and No Sleep

I don't hate them, I've just heard them enough. "Fine for Beatles, thanks."

SteveDave

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 28, 2019, 04:24:51 PM
I thought Pazza Mac and Ringo were in it? They were in a trailer weren't they? On a talk show? What the fuck

Maybe there's a scene where he goes looking for John and finds him at his mother Julia's funeral - in this universe she lived to a ripe old age.

They're not listed on imdb but there's someone playing "Ringo Starr" who looks like he's in his mid-30s so Christ knows what's happening there.

McChesney Duntz

I have no opinion on this film (and plan never to have one, as I've been burned by Richard C's hackish sensibilities one time too many), but damn, even as a devout Fabs fan, the inevitable cutesy lyric references in most of the reviews I've seen (viz: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/26/movies/yesterday-review.html) are making me start to pine for a world where they didn't exist (or at least played out their days as a moderately-obscure Northern beat combo, which, in cultural terms, amounts to the same thing). This particular bit of hilarity, though probably unrelated to the film, couldn't have come along at a better time: https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/coming-up-on-the-beatles-network

SteveDave

My friend's seen it and the "twist" is...Begbie Lennon. Bill Nighy does not feature as George Martin unfortunately.

mothman

C_Larence

I'll be impressed if this is worse than Across The Universe. One of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

garbed_attic

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 28, 2019, 04:31:48 PM
I don't hate them, I've just heard them enough. "Fine for Beatles, thanks."

I hope that's the reaction of every person in the film to their music.

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on June 28, 2019, 11:09:31 PM
I'll be impressed if this is worse than Across The Universe. One of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

That film was great. A campy masterpiece.

C_Larence

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 28, 2019, 11:41:55 PM

In the first two minutes a character working in a shipyard literally says, "i told myself, when i'm 64 i'll be long gone from this place". After that it's two hours of even less subtle references. There's one point where a character (I think her name is Prudence...) climbs into a building through a bathroom window. I watched it with my friend who absolutely loves the movie, and she pointed it out, and for a second I was impressed that they hadn't completely signposted the reference, then immediately after someone asks how she got in, and you'll never guess what the answer is. I hate it with a passion, nothing in it makes any sense, it's directed woefully, the covers are shocking. However, I've never met  anyone else who doesn't love it so what do I know?

olliebean

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 28, 2019, 11:41:55 PM

I've not seen it, but you can't possibly be claiming it's better than Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Replies From View

Quote from: C_Larence on June 29, 2019, 04:52:28 AM
I hate it with a passion, nothing in it makes any sense, it's directed woefully, the covers are shocking. However, I've never met  anyone else who doesn't love it so what do I know?

All you need is love, mate.