Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:12:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Favourite "That Guy" Actors

Started by Terry Torpid, December 30, 2023, 07:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Mr Banlon

Gunter Meisner:

The germany-ist man.
Nadim Sawalha:

The arab bloke from everything in the 70s/80s. Though Nads is probably more famous nowadays for what sprang from his nads and up his missus.

Sonny_Jim

This Guy popped up in something I was watching last night and it took every ounce of my will power to stop myself from leaping up and exclaiming 'That's the guy from Star Trek 2!':

Paul Winfield, lovely bloke apparently.

EDIT:  Hands down the best 'Holy shit it's that guy' moment would have to be Chabuddy G in Barbie.

George White

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 01, 2024, 09:06:56 AMThis Guy popped up in something I was watching last night and it took every ounce of my will power to stop myself from leaping up and exclaiming 'That's the guy from Star Trek 2!':

Paul Winfield, lovely bloke apparently.

He's in a really odd US TVM called Horror at 37,000 Feet, which is like a Nigel Kneale version of an Airport movie, where after a few minutes of stock footage of 70s Heathrow, we cut to the Republic/CBS studio recreation of said airport, and introduced to a raft of characters. Shatner's the drunk priest who's lost his faith, Chuck Connors is the captain, Buddy 'Pa Clampett' Ebsen is there, and Winfield is the black British doctor, Dr. Enkalla, done up in bowler and suit, doing cartoon RP, and looking and sounding eerily like Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Terry Torpid

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Terry Torpid on January 01, 2024, 12:06:49 PM

How could I forget This Guy?

Vincent... someone. Vincent. Shit! I'm losing my perspecacity. Vincent Shiavelli! Is that right? I'm going to go check (this live-replying isn't as exciting to read as it is to write, is it?)

Yes! Perspecacity restored! Had to sit on my phone and go across the keyboard there, Vincent Q, Vincent L etc. Worked though!

George mentioned Chuck Connors as well, he's a good one.

Terry Torpid

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 01, 2024, 02:18:10 PMYes! Perspecacity restored! Had to sit on my phone and go across the keyboard there, Vincent Q, Vincent L etc. Worked though!

Psst... You could just look at the filename.

He had a great face, like he was painted by El Greco.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Terry Torpid on January 01, 2024, 02:22:22 PMPsst... You could just look at the filename.

He had a great face, like he was painted by El Greco.

Fraid I'm treating this thread like a personal quiz from here on Tel.

If I was that way inclined, though, I'd have searched for "Jenny Calendar's uncle".

DoesNotFollow

Like a lot of these faces, crops up a lot in late '80s and '90s film and TV.
Spoiler alert
Spoiler alert
Richard Gant
[close]
[close]

George White

Quote from: DoesNotFollow on January 01, 2024, 07:49:06 PM

Like a lot of these faces, crops up a lot in late '80s and '90s film and TV.
Spoiler alert
Spoiler alert
Richard Gant
[close]
[close]
Bizarrely turns up in the BBC NI-coproduced Belfast noir Colin Bateman adap Divorcing Jack, featuring an excellent Belfast accent from David Thewlis, and an absolutely horrific one from Robert Lindsay (recycling his Irish/Russian accent from the 1989 ITV miniseries Confessional).

Waking Life

Garret Dillahunt. Couldn't link to a picture but he has faded away a bit recently.

Although he caught me out with Deadwood. Bold bit of casting.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Terry Torpid on January 01, 2024, 12:06:49 PM

How could I forget This Guy?

He's one of my favourite That Guys, partially because I think he's very funny in Better Off Dead which I watched a ridiculous amount as a teenager, but also as he's nearly always great value for money in everything else he does.

Famous Mortimer

Although I've since learned his name, I always enjoyed it when this guy would pop up in a movie.

paddy72

Quote from: Waking Life on January 01, 2024, 10:11:56 PMGarret Dillahunt. Couldn't link to a picture but he has faded away a bit recently.

Yes. Turns up in excellent stuff, including The Assassination of Jesse James and No Country For Old Men.

And that bit of double casting in Deadwood caught me out when I first saw it, too. Might be time to watch that whole thing again.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Waking Life on January 01, 2024, 10:11:56 PMGarret Dillahunt. Couldn't link to a picture but he has faded away a bit recently.

Also makes a really great sitcom dad in Raising Hope.

Sonny_Jim

I wanna say Greg Evigan but I've literally only ever seen him on 'My 2 Dads' and TMWRNJ.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 02, 2024, 02:25:31 PMI wanna say Greg Evigan but I've literally only ever seen him on 'My 2 Dads' and TMWRNJ.

Look up BJ & The Bear. Carefully.

Had a longer run than I thought.

phantom_power

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on December 31, 2023, 07:14:59 PMIs Cliff Curtis too famous to be a That Guy? I love him. He makes small roles that border on being ethnic stereotypes (his Māori origin made him a common choice to play Middle Eastern, Hispanic or South American characters) and give them real weight and power. His depiction of Smiley in Training Day is still really terrifying.

I always get him mixed up with Clifton Collins Jr, another stalwart That Guy

George White

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 02, 2024, 02:59:54 PMLook up BJ & The Bear. Carefully.

Had a longer run than I thought.
And also had a spinoff  the Misadventires of Sheriff Lobo starring veteran That Guy Claude Akins.
Yes, Homer's favourite.

Glebe

Quote from: Terry Torpid on December 30, 2023, 07:02:00 PMDavid Fincher films are always good for That Guys.

In Zodiac we've got That Guy from Crash and The Thin Red Line

The prime suspect in the film is none other than That Guy from Fargo and Shutter Island

I thought 'that guy!' when I saw Elias Koteas in Let Me In (the Matt Reeves-directed US remake of Let the Right One In), and just looking up Wiki I see he's also in Shutter Island alongside John Carroll Lynch, which I didn't recall.

Quote from: Terry Torpid on December 30, 2023, 11:02:00 PM

I see That Guy is listed in the cast. I was going to post him in the OP but forgot to copy the link. David Fincher films are always good for this.

Ah yes, the Narrator's boss in Fight Club.

Quote from: jonnyunitus on December 30, 2023, 10:02:29 PMJoe Pantoliano

The Goonies screened over Christmas, that was an early role for him as one of the Fratellis!

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 31, 2023, 01:49:55 AMIt's that guy from every 80s action movie.

I can only recall him in Die Hard.

(Just found out now that that great little moment was improvised. It does seem like an improv bit to be fair).

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 31, 2023, 12:47:01 AMDick Miller

Mr. Futterman! Among other things also in the original Little Shop of Horrors and sadly had his role as Monster Joe cut from Pulp Fiction.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 31, 2023, 09:17:02 AM

Thought that was James Karen at first, another great 'That Guy', hilarious in The Return of the Living Dead and it's sequel and also played the real estate boss in Poltergeist among other notable roles.

Quote from: George White on December 31, 2023, 10:26:50 AMAh, Dan.
He's the man who christened (Irish Panto harridan) Adele King Twink, you know.

That I did not know!

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 31, 2023, 10:40:14 AMMay I suggest Carol Kane

I only know her from Scrooged but I just saw recently that she's in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Tarquin

Watched a 1990 BBC TV play of Napoleon on St. Helena starring Kenneth Colley - had to look him up after as he was both great and "That Guy."

He was also Jesus in "The Life of Brian", bunch of Ken Russell's and that underling to Darth Vader who survives Empire and goes into Return of the Jedi.

Rizla

Watched "Honest Decent and True" the other night, the BBC's brilliant 1986 satire on the advertising biz. Amazing cast - straight-acting (in both senses of the word) Ade Edmonson , the very young Richard E Grant, Arabella Weir (nice) and Gary Oldman, and a good few That Guys, including

that guy from The Living Daylights that mugs off Bond with the need-to-know basis chat who was also Hymie Henderson in Mr Jolly Lives Next Door -

Thomas Wheatley

him from off of One Foot In The Grave, KYTV and Alexei Sayle's Stuff -

Owen Brenman

and the best thing in it, playing the pissed-up head of the ad agency was That Guy from Lethal Weapon 2, Brazil (Bob Hoskins's mate) and Time Bandits (guy that punches the poor in the Robin Hood scene),

Derrick O'Connor

It's on YT, I highly recommend it.

Magnum Valentino

He's a good one but considerably higher profile now having starred in a Netflix series that spawned one of those five-a-year magnitude viral moments.