Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:59:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Translations of books into English (is there a way to request them?)

Started by badaids, April 04, 2023, 06:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badaids

Right, Das Boot is one of my favorite books. It's freakin brilliant, and I read it once a year.

Luckily for me that it has a fairly good translation into English.

But.

It's Follow up Die Festung doesn't seem to have been translated into English.
I spent ages looking for it online, in second hand book shops and universities but nowt.  And I really really really want to read it so badly that I'm going to learn German.

But I'd much rather find it in English.  Any of you mofos know if there is way to get books translated and that?  Grateful for any advice.

buttgammon

I'm not sure how these things work but there's a great blog called The Untranslated which deals with literature that's not available in English (a lot of which has subsequently been translated); it might be worth getting in touch with the guy that runs it.

badaids

Quote from: buttgammon on April 04, 2023, 06:15:56 PMI'm not sure how these things work but there's a great blog called The Untranslated which deals with literature that's not available in English (a lot of which has subsequently been translated); it might be worth getting in touch with the guy that runs it.

Just the type of thing I was after. Thanks very much, I will do that.

PlanktonSideburns

Magine if you learn German and das boot zwei: rebooted is a load of fucking shit

kalowski

I'll do it, as long as the book just keeps asking where the next bus stop is and every character says "I live in Altrincham, near Manchester"

PlanktonSideburns