Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:56:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Real god-awful books

Started by Zero Gravitas, June 13, 2023, 11:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 26, 2023, 03:27:42 PMCurious why or at what point you gave up on The Secret History.

Can't really explain except that I tried several times over several years and just couldn't get into it. I still have it I think but doubt if I'll ever try again. I think I made it about midway on one occasion. Practically nowt about the plot or characters remain in my head now. Was it a college reunion in a haunted house or something?

Isn't there meant to be some link between Donna Tartt and Brett Easton Ellis? Apart from them both writing acclaimed novels that I've never got to the end of that is.

New page. Turner.

mr. logic

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 26, 2023, 03:27:42 PMCurious why or at what point you gave up on The Secret History.

And SNSM, which I remember thinking was great, despite going in with a great deal of trepidation

Kankurette

Quote from: Jockice on August 26, 2023, 03:32:31 PMCan't really explain except that I tried several times over several years and just couldn't get into it. I still have it I think but doubt if I'll ever try again. I think I made it about midway on one occasion. Practically nowt about the plot or characters remain in my head now. Was it a college reunion in a haunted house or something?

Isn't there meant to be some link between Donna Tartt and Brett Easton Ellis? Apart from them both writing acclaimed novels that I've never got to the end of that is.

New page. Turner.
Yeah, she knew him at college and Bunny is based on him.

I liked The Secret History (it was about a group of students doing a murder) but the main characters are all utter cunts. Judy Poovey was right, and I liked that she got a happier ending than any of them.

Jockice

Quote from: mr. logic on August 27, 2023, 06:38:54 PMAnd SNSM, which I remember thinking was great, despite going in with a great deal of trepidation

Same thing really. Just for some reason couldn't get into it. And that's a book that should be right up my street.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Kankurette on August 27, 2023, 06:40:11 PMI liked The Secret History (it was about a group of students doing a murder) but the main characters are all utter cunts. Judy Poovey was right, and I liked that she got a happier ending than any of them.

They were cunts, but I thought they were quite well done. I didn't love the book, but the characters seemed real to me, and I think I was carried along by the urge to find out what was going on, but what was going on turned out to be quite silly. Still, don't regret reading it, but it didn't make me want to check out any of her other books.

Kankurette

That's why I liked it so much, their awfulness was so compelling. Richard worships them and thinks they're awesome and cool even though Henry doesn't believe in the moon landings. Meanwhile, the other kids on campus think they're a load of pretentious arseholes.