Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,800
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:01:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

God Help The Girl

Started by Backstage With Slowdive, August 16, 2009, 10:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chand

Quote from: Fry on August 17, 2009, 02:01:48 PMthe song "I don't want to play football"

Haha, really? That sounds like the sort of song title I'd make up if I was taking the piss out of them.

CaledonianGonzo

Interestingly - or not - Dress Up In You from TLP is a God Help The Girl song.  It also seemed to be a fan favourite amongst the section of the fanbase that were throwing their hands up in horror at amped-up pop song tracks like The Blues Are Still Blue and Sukie In the Graveyard.

Quote from: chand on August 18, 2009, 08:45:41 AM
Haha, really? That sounds like the sort of song title I'd make up if I was taking the piss out of them.

Murdoch's self-aware enough to realise that, which is probably why he did it - even if he was writing in character for the Storytelling soundtrack and the football in question in the song is almost certainly of the 'American' variety.

Apparently, he's a bit of a demon on the field, except when he plays for his life and the ref gives him fuck all.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 18, 2009, 10:17:19 AM
Murdoch's self-aware enough to realise that, which is probably why he did it - even if he was writing in character for the Storytelling soundtrack and the football in question in the song is almost certainly of the 'American' variety.

Yes, exactly; that song, slight, forgettable and silly though it is, was written in character for the film. It isn't supposed to be a serious reflection of the collective B&S id.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 18, 2009, 10:17:19 AMApparently, he's a bit of a demon on the field, except when he plays for his life and the ref gives him fuck all.

True, he's very keen on what our American chums call soccer. He's a very sporty chap all round, and quite possibly hard as nails: the Muhammad Ali of fey, Christian, indie pop stars.

CaledonianGonzo

So - went to see GHTG live last night at the Usher Hall - one of only 3 official gigs that they seem to be doing this time around - and it was ruddy fantastic.

Though they only did 7 tracks (it was part of a BBC Scotland shindig), they were backed throughout by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, and it was an almighty lovely noise.  Musician, Please Take Heed especially.  Had it been a bit longer and in a less seated venue, it would probably eclipse any B&S show I've seen.  And Catherine Ireton is even lovelier in the flesh.

And then Neil Hannon arrived...

So.  Good stuff.  If you've not heard it, I heartily endorse the other non-album GHTG stuff that's floating around.  The Stills EP is 5 solid songs without a duffer, the Funny Little Frog b-side Mary's Market is maybe my favourite track of the lot and there's a new single coming in January with lead vocals from the wifey from Those Dancing Days.

Than, apparently, that's it for God Help The Girl for now and the focus swings back to Belle & Sebastian.

ozziechef

To join in the 'Fold Your Hands' debate, I always considered it a very poor album but looking at the tracklisting it actually features some of my favourite Belle songs - I fought in a war, The Model, Womens Realm, Too Much Love.

Time for another listen I think....

little kev

hes a lucky   motherfucker   jocklands own   steve tyler                                           he should bring out a calendar of his dick mid-plunge in 12 different university towns             

little kev

He could call it 'A'body's Willy'.              Or 'The Fud Pursuit'.