Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,787
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:36:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pere Ubu - Datapanik In The Year Zero - reissued AND remastered!

Started by Neil, October 13, 2009, 12:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I see from the Pere Ubu mailing list that the "Datapanik In The Year Zero" box-set - which chronicles the early years of Ubu, as well as including tangentially related bands to give a better feel for the Cleveland music scene at the time - has not only been given a long overdue reissue, but has also been remastered.  It's sold out on Amazon at the minute, but I'm sure they'll be getting more in soon.  How could you refuse for only 13 quid?  I've had the mp3s for years, but will definitely be grabbing one of these.  They've dropped a disc somewhere, but I've not compared the contents yet...

Quote from: ubuprojexDatapanik In The Year Zero Re-release
Cooking Vinyl will re-issue the box set October 5. They have license rights in territories outside North America. The booklet and packaging have been redesigned by John Thompson. It is now a 4-cd set, including all songs from the studio albums from The Modern Dance to Song Of The Bailing Man. The original 2-track, quarter-inch analog mix tapes of all the albums were re-transferred to digital at 192khz / 24 bit resolution and re-mastered, after, of course, having been baked in the Suma oven to dry them out.

Also, has anyone heard "Long Live Pere Ubu!" yet?  The vid for March Of Greed popped up on my last.fm recommendations a while back, and I absolutely love it:

http://www.vimeo.com/2255106

TDOTEP

Glad to see this is being reissued, I do have the original release and I can't imagine what they could have dropped to make it 4 discs.
I've got Long Live Pere Ubu and I believe it be marvellous, but then I am somewhat biased

Paaaaul

Motherfuckers!

[I'm complaining on your behalf]

I pre-ordered this a while back for £7.99 at Amazon, but they gone bunged up the price.

The original release date was 2 or 3 weeks ago, but they keep pushing it back by a week.
Quote from: Neil on October 13, 2009, 12:42:14 PMThey've dropped a disc somewhere, but I've not compared the contents yet...

It's the live disc that's gone

edit - It was £7.79 on Amazon. I did post it, I really did.
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=18561.msg1135002#msg1135002

Paaaaul

New revised delivery date from Amazon - "October 28 2009 - November 06 2009"

Yawn

NoSleep

I guess they've dropped the live album as they've realised that anyone with access to the internet will be able to pick up any number of audience recordings of the band (it's always been relatively easy to find Pere Ubu gigs, even before the internet). The gig on the original CD boxed set wasn't a reissue of the 390 degrees original vinyl, was it?

I still have a single CD, entitled Warning Bells Are Ringing, which was sent out as a preview for the original release of Datapanik In The Year Zero. It's a rather good compilation in its own right.

I own an 12" EP, from '78, on Radar, also entitled Datapanik In The Year Zero, which includes Heart Of Darkness (with a fade during the "looking into" bit - which works better than letting it play out, as on Terminal Tower), 30 Seconds Over Tokyo and alternative versions of The Modern Dance & Humor Me.

Paaaaul

Paaaaul

Got this today.
Nice boxset - 40 page booklet.
Great remastering from what I've heard so far (1st CD)