Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,800
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:11:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top albums of this decade (its an NME thing)

Started by kidsick5000, November 17, 2009, 09:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Lets set the cat among the pigeons

Quote1. The Strokes - Is This It
2. The Libertines - Up The Bracket
3. Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell
6. PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
7. Arcade Fire - Funeral
8. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material
10. Radiohead - In Rainbows

Voted for by people. STUPID STUPID PEOPLE
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8363726.stm

purlieu

The only really surprising thing about that is it's not actually that bad, really.  There's not an album there I particularly object to being in the list, despite never really enjoying the Libertines or Arctic Monkeys' music.  They were important and decent records for the audience the NME largely represents these days.  Nice to see Original Pirate Material keeping some popularity, Is This It was pretty much a given, and PJ Harvey is a little unexpected.
Kid A's better than In Rainbows, though.

ThickAndCreamy

The full list is here.

To be fair I enjoy lots of records on that list and as a popular list it really isn't that bad. Obviously I disagree with the order and don't like many of the records as well, but I'm not supposed to am I, as the whole point of putting up the list is often to encourage debate.

It's not supposed to really include obscure records, just highly praised ones so as predictable as it is, it is predictable it's predictable. There are no real shocks or surprises and my list probably wouldn't include most of the records but really it's just going with what general consensus (NME and overall indie / rock reviewers) agree are the best records.

Serge

It's pretty bland, boring, middle of the road stuff mostly, except for 'XTRMNTR' and 'Original Pirate Material'. Nearly all guitar bands, no electronic stuff to speak of. But then, I'm 38, I'm not the NMEs target audience. I'll kick off about the Mojo one as and when.

actwithoutwords

Yeah, I was surprised at how uninfuriated it made me. Obviously Kid A is better than In Rainbows, but given the hate NME had for Kid A at the time, I'm even surprised it's that high. Great to see PJ Harvey, XTRMNTR and At the Drive In so high. Did that many people like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs album that much though?
Some stuff I can't imagine the average current NME reader would touch with a bargepole too, The Delgados, Grandaddy etc. Made me kind of nostalgiac for the few years in the late nineties/early 00's when I read it and didn't feel insulted.

23 Daves

I think the presence of Babyshambles "Down In Albion" and Blur's "Think Tank" are the two real shockers in there, since it's generally agreed that both were rather disappointing long players - although I know plenty of people that don't agree.

The Masked Unit

Great to see Turn On The Bright Lights in the top ten.

Johnny Townmouse

I am surprised to see XTRMNTR and Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea so high up on this list, but really this, like all lists (including my own) do make me think that there is a general muh-ness about the entire decade.

purlieu

Quote from: 23 Daves on November 18, 2009, 08:38:35 AM
I think the presence of Babyshambles "Down In Albion" and Blur's "Think Tank" are the two real shockers in there, since it's generally agreed that both were rather disappointing long players - although I know plenty of people that don't agree.
Didn't Think Tank, other than my saving grace (this once, at least) Stephen Thomas Erlewine, get pretty universally glowing reviews?  I know it was more of an opinion splitter within the fanbase, but I've always been staggered at how popular it seems considering it's one of the worst things that's ever happened to humankind.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on November 18, 2009, 10:40:27 AM
I am surprised to see XTRMNTR and Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea so high up on this list, but really this, like all lists (including my own) do make me think that there is a general muh-ness about the entire decade.

It's compiled from the people who read the NME's radars, so that explains in my opinion why they've ended up with that. If the Arctic Monkeys album is slipping down their agenda already, surely they're due for a shit-canning like what the NME did a few years ago with Is This It before mysteriously it cropping up on top of the pile again.

I'm interested to see wha the Q top 10 would be....heh. Just to laugh, you understand.

purlieu

Now that's a Peter's Mad Thought if I've ever read one.

CaledonianGonzo

As a list, it's almost more interesting for who's not in there.

Last year's NME 'Single' and 'Album of the Year' winners MGMT don't feature at all.  From 2007, The Klaxons fail to make the top 20.  Franz Ferdinand (2004), Coldplay (2002) and The Flaming Lips (1999) are also album of the year winners who don't feature, while QOTSA place for a different album from the one that topped the list in 2000.

23 Daves

Quote from: purlieu on November 18, 2009, 12:03:16 PM
Didn't Think Tank, other than my saving grace (this once, at least) Stephen Thomas Erlewine, get pretty universally glowing reviews?  I know it was more of an opinion splitter within the fanbase, but I've always been staggered at how popular it seems considering it's one of the worst things that's ever happened to humankind.

You may be right - I do tend to get the mainstream critical consensus confused with what I read online now.  "Think Tank" emerged shortly before I completely stopped paying any attention to how the music press reviewed things (unless they were reviewing stuff by emerging bands I cared about) so I may well be getting muddled between that and the rantings of numerous Blur fans.

Believe it or not, I've never listened to "Think Tank" all the way through.  It's always something I mean to revisit, and I could very easily do so now with Spotify... but even then, it seems there are a lot of other albums I should probably hear for free first. 

Back on the NME poll, it's good to see Super Furry Animals "Rings" in there as their best album of the decade - another opinion-splitter right there, but I happen to agree with the NME for once.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on November 18, 2009, 12:19:51 PM
QOTSA place for a different album from the one that topped the list in 2000.
That's not much of a shock. While the last two albums were a bit variable, I expect most people would place Songs for the Deaf ahead of Rated R.

I'm openly delighted that no Animal Collective features in that list. Very reassuring.

Vitalstatistix

Eeeesh, that is a pretty fucking white list eh.

To be expected spoze.

Wot, no Horsepower Productions!?!?

Jumble Cashback

Is there some popular music press conspiracy to pretend that Tom Waits just doesn't exist?  I saw that book, 1001 Albums To Hear Before You Die, and Waits wasn't even in the index.  Very surprised Muse didn't make the list too, but I'm not that bothered.  Would have been nice to have seen Nouvelle Vague in there, but that's kind of wishful thinking, really.

Serge

Possibly, like myself, they thought that Toms last release, "3 CDs Of Wheezin' and Gruntin'", his follow up to "2 CDs of Wheezin' And Gruntin'", possibly pissed on the memory of when he was quite good at knocking out records with something other than wheezin' and gruntin' on them?

I flicked through the NME at work today, I think Muse made the lower reaches of the list. Luckily, so did M.I.A., otherwise I would have....er, grumbled on here about it.

The Plunger

Quote from: Jumble Cashback on November 18, 2009, 09:50:53 PM
Is there some popular music press conspiracy to pretend that Tom Waits just doesn't exist?  I saw that book, 1001 Albums To Hear Before You Die, and Waits wasn't even in the index.  Very surprised Muse didn't make the list too, but I'm not that bothered.  Would have been nice to have seen Nouvelle Vague in there, but that's kind of wishful thinking, really.

I don't know a great deal about Tom Waits, but do you think he should be mentioned in a 'great albums of the noughties' type list ? What albums should be included ?

Viero_Berlotti

Blood Money was released in 2002 which was a return to form and for me is up there with his best. If Mojo did a 'best of the noughties' type list Blood Money would be in there.

Phil_A

Quote from: Jumble Cashback on November 18, 2009, 09:50:53 PM

Waits is more your Mojo/Word readers choice, isn't he? NME won't touch him as he's too old for their demographic and a bit weird. 

Of the material he's put out this decade, I don't think it's too controversial to suggest that "Real Gone" might be up there with his best stuff. Tracks like "Hoist That Rag" and "Dead and Lovely" are classic Waits, to these ears at least.

CaledonianGonzo

Waits features at #92 on the Uncut list.

http://swearimnotpaul.blogspot.com/2009/09/list-uncuts-top-150-albums-of-00s.html

Bob Dylan gets two in the top 10, which is probably overstating it.  Love and Theft is deserving of accolades, but you'd be daft to expect the NME to be the one handing 'em out.

23 Daves

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on November 19, 2009, 09:34:02 PM
Waits features at #92 on the Uncut list.

http://swearimnotpaul.blogspot.com/2009/09/list-uncuts-top-150-albums-of-00s.html

Bob Dylan gets two in the top 10, which is probably overstating it.  Love and Theft is deserving of accolades, but you'd be daft to expect the NME to be the one handing 'em out.

I may be imagining things, but they did used to put albums like that in their year-end list, didn't they?  I'm sure Robert Wyatt was in one of the end-year NME critics polls.

I think the NME only went all Logans Run on us during this decade, so it's probably fitting that this particular poll is filled with cute young kids. 

PaulTMA

vrailaine

I've been annoying anyone that asks who my band of the decade are by saying (quite genuinely) it's probably been The Fall.

White Blood Cells is doing very well for itself in loadsa these lists, are people trying to justify some idea of the White Stripes being like a Beatles/Zeppelin/Smiths/Radiohead* type superpower for this decade or something? I was certain they were more of a fad.

*don't nitpick these bands, I didn't put too much thought into them

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Aren't Radiohead are the Radiohead of this decade?

placeholder

Quote from: vrailaine on November 22, 2009, 02:57:58 AM
White Blood Cells is doing very well for itself in loadsa these lists, are people trying to justify some idea of the White Stripes being like a Beatles/Zeppelin/Smiths/Radiohead* type superpower for this decade or something? I was certain they were more of a fad.

I think they're more than a fad, the follow up to White Blood Cells made them into Stadium Headliners, then they continued to release solid albums that featured strong singles - the likes of 'Blue Orchid' and 'Icky Thump', and in many ways Jack White is the man of the decade with his glut of side projects also proving fruitful and of interest. Not bad for a duo with an elaborate back story that play regressive Garage Rock.

23 Daves

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on November 22, 2009, 10:32:55 AM
I think they're more than a fad, the follow up to White Blood Cells made them into Stadium Headliners, then they continued to release solid albums that featured strong singles - the likes of 'Blue Orchid' and 'Icky Thump', and in many ways Jack White is the man of the decade with his glut of side projects also proving fruitful and of interest. Not bad for a duo with an elaborate back story that play regressive Garage Rock.

Also, "White Blood Cells" genuinely is one of my favourite albums of this decade, far more so than a lot of the obscure stuff I normally root for, and far more than any of their other albums too.  It was a solid mix of styles and Jack White hadn't totally abandoned his love for a pop tune at that point.  Some of his finer lyrics, too. 

I never really got the fuss about "Elephant", which to me was a massive disappointment in comparison.

Serge

Quote from: 23 Daves on November 22, 2009, 12:12:08 PMI never really got the fuss about "Elephant", which to me was a massive disappointment in comparison.

Yeah, I never got 'Elephant'. About four great songs and a load of filler (not to mention a guest appearance by the unspeakable Holly Golightly.) I thought 'Get Behind Me Satan' was a much better album overall, but that seems to get dismissed out of hand.

I don't like any of his side projects.