Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:18:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gong. Manchester. Saturday 21st Nov.

Started by Dusty Gozongas, November 19, 2009, 02:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Gozongas

here's one...

A mate or two may not be able to go to this event so there could be a couple of tickets going spare. Free. Gratis!

http://www.manchesteracademy.net/Artist%20Pages/gong.html

Just posting this here and now in case the tickets go to waste. It's uncertain whether they'll need another owner but there's always the chance that a hippy or two in the vicinity would like to use them if said friends drop out.

Only trouble is, I won't know for sure what the situation is until Friday morning shortly before me and my lady set off. This means no absolute replies to any (if any) PMs until we get to the hotel on Friday afternoon/evening.

It's a huge IF at the moment of course. If interested, PM me. No promises etc.

We'll be at the Palace Hotel btw, so any exchange of documents can be conducted in daylight and in full view of the general public.

Ted-Maul

I went to this. i couldn't stop staring at Steve Hillage....he looks like your next door neighbour who has knocked round to borrow some step-ladders and accidentally picked up a guitar and discovered he was a guitar-god. Is that his wife playing the keyboards cos he was staring-out (in a friendly nextdoor neighbour kinda way) whoever was waving at her at the end.

Compare them to Daevid Allen (dressed in pyjamas  with what looked like a slipper on his head) and his missus and you get quite a surreal show. I expected nothing less and i'm glad i went.

Did you go Dusty? In the months since i bought my ticket, you're the only human to acknowledge there is such a band as Gong.

Example - "Ok Ted, see you next week....enjoy Gonk or whatever theyre called!"

Dusty Gozongas

Yeah. What a fantastic gig it was :-)

As it turned out, there were no tickets going spare here and the six of us and our extremely disjointed plans came together beautifully.

That was indeed Miquette Giraudy the partner of Mr. Hillage himself (whom my good lady didn't recognise at first what with his short hair and all that).

Allen's still got it, although he is only 71. And Gilli Smyth at 76, what can you say apart from"phwoarrr"?

I have to admit to having tears of joy in my eyes at various points during their extremely long set. They enjoyed it. The (crammed in) audience loved it and a good time was had by all. Not least meself, 'cos I was definitely the best dressed bloke in Manchester on the night ;o)

gepree

Did they play much from my favourite Gong album Angel's Egg?

Ted-Maul

My only regret from this gig was getting a bit too pissed beforehand. So by the time i sobered up a little and started paying attention to what songs were being played, the show was almost over. I'll just flick through Angels Egg and see if I get any flashbacks.....hang on a sec........

They played Oily Way / Outer / Inner Temple.....that was in the encore i think.

Think they played 'Never Glid Before'.

Dammit, could have played more but I remember nothing! I caught the end of Steve Hillage too but he could have been playing a Jedward tribute for all I know.....gutted.

Dusty Gozongas

Same blurriness here - drinkies beforehand and then getting mightily stoned with a rather nice gentleman from Leeds who was standing to the side of the mixing desk.

They did stuff from each of the trilogy albums and Camembert Electrique during what was easily a 2+ hour set.