Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:09:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Four Lions DVD / Blu-Ray

Started by Neil, May 21, 2010, 12:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StoatStoatKestrel

Laughed at the line from deleted scene: "Would you bite your own head off and eat it?", louder than at anything in the film. The intense Barry stare and great delivery really pulled it off.

Still a bit disappointed after all the hype but it's growing on me after repeat views and I find myself quoting lines almost without realising. Certainly not the barrage of jokes I expected but the piece in its entirety is to be admired. The concept was pulled off well and I believe the research paid dividends.

small_world

I'm only just watching this now.

We (work friends) were only just discussing the lack of really funny films over the last few years, apart from the overrated (although still very funny) The Hangover, we couldn't really think of any...
Well this is one. It's been a few big belly laughs and the rest almost constant giggles.

Glebe

Blu-ray review up at AVForums.com... click the Blu-ray tab at the top of the review for picture/sound/extras verdict!

An tSaoi

The Faisal/Fessal confusion has been bugging me for some time now, because I've seen it spelt either way in a variety of sources.

The characters in the film seem to be saying 'Fessal' (which is the name used by the far from infallible IMDb, as well as quite a few reviews). I initially put this down to people misspelling the name based on how it sounds, and that it must be 'Faisal' on paper but 'Fessal' when you say it. However, I was watching Channel 4 News earlier, and there was a reporter called Faisal Islam, who pronounces it 'Faysal' (as did Jon Snow and some guy he was interviewing), which made me wonder if they were two distinct names, and which one is right.

Knowing that anything but the film itself may be inaccurate, I thought the most authoritative place to look would be the end credits. Lo and behold, it's 'Faisal'. Case closed, I thought to myself. But later, on watching the 'Barry's Training Camp' deleted scene, I saw that Omar's phone clearly says 'Fessal calling'. Now I'm back to square one; two contradicting spellings within the same DVD.

So which is it then?

chocky909

Tiny Poster

Fessal. It's a variation on 'Faisal', like Clarice/Clarissa. These brown people are jolly confusing, what?

Neil

It's different all over the menus too. It seems either way is valid. When I asked about this before, Shoulders said he'd met three or four people with that name, all of who insisted on a different pronunciation.

Neil

They've put Nigel Lindsay's on-set diary online to promote the DVD launch:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/four-lions-onset-diary

An tSaoi

niat

Fantastic stuff, very funny and very illuminating about Morris's working methods.

Are the easter eggs on the Blu-ray? I've been farting around trying to find them, but to no avail...

Famous Mortimer

The good news about this film is spreading. My boss was telling me about this brilliant new film I should watch called Four Lions, and a large group of friends all absolutely loved it last night.

I guess they filmed the London Marathon scenes in some parts of Sheffield I've never been to (I'm from down the road) but there was a street sign or a shop sign that said "Sheffield" on it in fairly plain view just after they arrived in London. Apologies if this has been noticed before, I guess this isn't the first thread on the film.

But fuckin' ell, int it brilliant?

JPA

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 25, 2010, 02:15:15 PM
I guess they filmed the London Marathon scenes in some parts of Sheffield I've never been to

A lot of those bits are largely comprised of locations on or around The Moor as well as The Wicker (which is where Kebabish is).

Famous Mortimer

I go on the Moor all the time, and I sort-of recognised the street at the end, but I haven't been down the Wicker in forever. EXCITING MORTIMER LOCATION NEWS

But in slightly more relevant news, I spotted Craig Parkinson (Matt the security guard) at the theatre last night, in a very nice coat.