Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:22:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pearl Jam greatest hits

Started by phalmachine, October 24, 2004, 06:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phalmachine

There's a new PJ best of, 'Rear View Mirror', coming out in November.  Here's a tracklist from pretty unreliable looking source:

1. Once
2. Alive
3. Even Flow
4. Jeremy
5. State Of Love and Trust
6. Animal
7. Go
8. Dissident
9. Rearviewmirror
10. Spin The Black Circle
11. Corduroy
12. Not For You
13. I Got ID
14. Hail Hail
15. Do the Evolution
16. Save You

1. Black
2. Yellow Ledbetter
3. Breathe
4. Daughter
5. Crazy Mary
6. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
7. Immortality
8. Betterman
9. Nothingman
10. Who You Are
11. Off He Goes
12. Given To Fly
13. Wishlist
14. Last Kiss
15. Nothing As It Seems
16. Light Years
17. I Am Mine

Just thought people might be interested.  So, how does everyone rate this a compilation? I only have 10 and Vs, is this a good representation of the rest of their stuff?

Paaaaul

Looks about 32 tracks too long to me

El Unicornio, mang

I thought Ten and Vs were both fantastic albums throughout, it's sad that they got labelled as Nirvana-wannabes because, 10 years on, I think their music and songwriting sounds better than their Seattle counterparts (I would be prepared to compare them to the Sex Pistols and The Clash, the Pistols being the pioneers of punk (at least, punk in it's best known form), the latter having the better songs)

After those first two LPs though, I kind of went off them, might have to have a listen to some of those other albums.
Kind of odd to see 'Yellow Ledbetter' on there, it's a great song but wasn't it just a B-side? Or is this a 'best of' rather than a 'greatest hits'?

Incidentally, I was listening to 'Ten' on my walkman just after 9/11 happened, and I remember thinking 'Black' would be a very powerful song to use for a motion picture on the events.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Paaaaul"Looks about 32 tracks too long to me

Arf.

_Hypnotoad_

Major bump

Obviously there are only a couple of PJ "fans" on here, but share and share alike is what I say

Their O2 concert from August this year
http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/player/7335/live_music.html

While this has been bumped, I just want to say I think that recent single, 'The Fixer', is the best thing they've done for years.

chumfatty

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on October 22, 2009, 09:30:59 AM
Major bump

Obviously there are only a couple of PJ "fans" on here, but share and share alike is what I say

Their O2 concert from August this year
http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/player/7335/live_music.html

Awwwwww thanks for that! I was at this show it was ace, still waiting the official bootleg from this show.

I love Pearl Jam, not that I usually care for Fanboys of a particular band but if pushed to name my favourite then PJ will be the one. The thing is Ten was fantastic and nothing they have done since can compare to it. However when Cobain died, Pearl Jam (already uneasy with their rise to fame) decided not to play the 'fame' game and did little to promote the release of their studio albums after Vitalogy, other than become an awesome touring band. They have diversified their music and become more of a Classic Rock Band than has-been grungers, No Code and Yield highlights this. I would recommend these two albums to anyone willing to get back into them and throw in a recent Official Bootleg as well to sample the Live experience.

It's only for the last two albums when they changed record labels that they decided they were mature enough to cope with the exposure. Yes Eddie Vedder can be a sanctimonious cock at times and is often prone to the odd touch of the Bono's, but the guy has a great voice and can write a mean song or too.

thugler

Quote from: chumfatty on October 30, 2009, 08:11:46 PM
Awwwwww thanks for that! I was at this show it was ace, still waiting the official bootleg from this show.

I love Pearl Jam, not that I usually care for Fanboys of a particular band but if pushed to name my favourite then PJ will be the one. The thing is Ten was fantastic and nothing they have done since can compare to it. However when Cobain died, Pearl Jam (already uneasy with their rise to fame) decided not to play the 'fame' game and did little to promote the release of their studio albums after Vitalogy, other than become an awesome touring band. They have diversified their music and become more of a Classic Rock Band than has-been grungers, No Code and Yield highlights this. I would recommend these two albums to anyone willing to get back into them and throw in a recent Official Bootleg as well to sample the Live experience.

It's only for the last two albums when they changed record labels that they decided they were mature enough to cope with the exposure. Yes Eddie Vedder can be a sanctimonious cock at times and is often prone to the odd touch of the Bono's, but the guy has a great voice and can write a mean song or too.

Not a huge fan of 10. But I love Vs and Vitalogy. Since then I just like the odd song really.