Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:14:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2017

Started by Shay Chaise, June 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Can we contrive to still get bowled out under 400?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also is Ishant injured? Only 8 overs from him

king_tubby

Yeah, think they said on TMS that he's got a groin problem, only half listening though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I've got a groin problem after that Cook ton EH LADS

I mean a boner from my hard one

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/wi/content/records/93276.html

Next record coming up is Anderson overtaking McGrath for overall test wickets

Only Jacques Kallis and Shane Warne on that list have participated in more test innings than Anderson, and no fast bowler has sent down as many deliveries as he has, so incredible longevity. Kallis wasn't a frontline bowler either, so Jimmy's in a remarkably good condition considering that.

I remember what Walsh and McGrath were like towards the end of their careers, hobbling in.

I'd put Anderson easily capable of being our best bowler in the next 3/4 home series, past 2020 so it all depends on whether he wants to carry on or not. Could pass Kumble on the list, but that's about it, I reckon. I see Ryan Sidebottom is still bowling at county level relying on his swing in English conditions, certainly possible given Anderson is a grade higher and in better shape that it's all there for him to smash the records.

Interestingly Ishant Sharma is the fast bowler with the highest average on there, although he has improved a lot in recent years.

thraxx

Harsh on Cook.  Fair play to him for rolling back the years to grind out that knock.  His game is all about mental concentration, so hardly surprising that he was able to do so in his last ever innings for England.

Can I also just reveal, for the first ever time, that Ian Ward is a fucking poo hole.

Pranet

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 10, 2018, 05:44:40 PM
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/wi/content/records/93276.html

Next record coming up is Anderson overtaking McGrath for overall test wickets

Only Jacques Kallis and Shane Warne on that list have participated in more test innings than Anderson, and no fast bowler has sent down as many deliveries as he has, so incredible longevity. Kallis wasn't a frontline bowler either, so Jimmy's in a remarkably good condition considering that.

I remember what Walsh and McGrath were like towards the end of their careers, hobbling in.

I'd put Anderson easily capable of being our best bowler in the next 3/4 home series, past 2020 so it all depends on whether he wants to carry on or not. Could pass Kumble on the list, but that's about it, I reckon. I see Ryan Sidebottom is still bowling at county level relying on his swing in English conditions, certainly possible given Anderson is a grade higher and in better shape that it's all there for him to smash the records.

Interestingly Ishant Sharma is the fast bowler with the highest average on there, although he has improved a lot in recent years.

I think you have mixed up your Ryan Sidebottoms.

At the moment there does not seem to be any reason why Anderson can't continue but bowlers when they lose often seem to lose it very quickly.

monolith

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 10, 2018, 12:29:42 PM

"Nothing more left in the tank" is looking increasingly suspect as a statement. Good injury record, going to continue playing for Essex. He's retiring due to low morale after a lean run, as far as I can see
Don't really see it as suspect myself. The concentration required obviously takes a lot out of him and he hasn't been in a place for a long time where he can be relied upon to do it test after test. He's still capable, scored a massive double ton within the last year but those innings are becoming the exception rather than the norm. There's also the issue of touring and being away from his family.

It doesn't surprise or frustrate me that he was able to turn it on again one last time, it's just a beautiful sporting moment. You very rarely get fairy tale endings in sport and as far as I can see Cook is one of the only examples in the modern age of an top class sportsman who genuinely seems like a top bloke and who doesn't have a massive ego.

Wish him all the best and am pleased he is retiring whilst still able to do this and not being pushed out after 10 matches without a 50.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe concentration required obviously takes a lot out of him and he hasn't been in a place for a long time where he can be relied upon to do it test after test.

The concentration required for Essex will be some thresholds higher than someone with, according to them 'nothing left in the tank'.

It's up to him when he retires, and perhaps he hasn't articulated his reasons very well, but that one doesn't make sense for someone who has pledged to continue playing at a high level in professional sport.

thraxx

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 10, 2018, 07:07:35 PM
The concentration required for Essex will be some thresholds higher than someone with, according to them 'nothing left in the tank'.

It's up to him when he retires, and perhaps he hasn't articulated his reasons very well, but that one doesn't make sense for someone who has pledged to continue playing at a high level in professional sport.

True, but it's at a lower level and effectively a new challenge for him: He can't have played a real role in Essex's domestic campaign for years, if he ever has at all.  He has nothing left to achieve at test level, but plenty to do so domestically.  After 161 consecutive tests he won't have to tour and will have more time to spend with his young family.  I could totally understand why he'd feel like he nothing in the tank at test level, but wanted to continue in the county championship; it's probably quite invigorating and liberating to take this step.

monolith

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 10, 2018, 07:07:35 PM

Have you actually read the full statement? I feel like you are taking that one phrase out of context slightly. That one sentence where he says that is "Although it is a sad day, I can do so with a big smile on my face knowing I have given everything and there is nothing left in the tank."

That reads to me more like "I'm retiring from internationals but I gave it my all".

Edit: Full statement here if you wanted a gander:

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/844143/alastair-cook-announces-his-retirement-from-international-cricket

Andy147

Quote from: Pranet on September 10, 2018, 07:01:31 PM
I think you have mixed up your Ryan Sidebottoms.

The other Ryan Sidebottom was still playing last season (aged 39), to be fair.

Utter Shit

Quote from: monolith on September 10, 2018, 08:28:17 PM
Have you actually read the full statement? I feel like you are taking that one phrase out of context slightly. That one sentence where he says that is "Although it is a sad day, I can do so with a big smile on my face knowing I have given everything and there is nothing left in the tank."

That reads to me more like "I'm retiring from internationals but I gave it my all".

Edit: Full statement here if you wanted a gander:

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/844143/alastair-cook-announces-his-retirement-from-international-cricket

Even if you were determined to take that one phrase out of context, it's just obviously true that playing for England is a more intense, mentally exhausting task. I don't imagine anyone at Essex, or in county cricket in general, would take issue with what he said at all.

monolith

Indeed, seems self evident that county cricket is significantly less strenuous than test cricket. Tresco was still the best English batsman in the CC for years after he retired from England.

sevendaughters

honestly if I were a 35 year old test batsman in a rut I would love to call it quits and spend 3-4 years monstering 79 mph dobbers on an outground for a decent wage and tucked up in my own bed most nights of the year. only problem is as a fan when they completely lose their eyes and reflexes like Chanderpaul did for us mid-season this year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Anyone nervous yet?

Root bowling. Wasn't expecting this at 2-3

rjd2

Might be better for England if India think they have a chance of winning this as reckless shots look there only chance of wickets atm.

Its only one batsman after this so England at least are not in much danger of losing.

thraxx

Shaping up for quite a finish to the series - It's good isn't it?  It would be amazing if India can keep this up for another 90 minutes. 

monolith

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 11, 2018, 02:30:22 PM
Anyone nervous yet?

Nah, just needs one thing to happen and they're fucked. Slim possibility of a draw but not a chance in hell they'll chase this, there's a reason a total this big has never been chased.

Wouldn't mind being wrong to be honest, would be fucking incredible to watch. Loving Pant and Rahul at the moment and 3-1 or 4-1 would be a bit harsh on India I think.

But they won't chase it. I remember people were worried back 2009 when Clarke and Ponting looked comfortable chasing 500 odd but again it just needed one moment and then they folded. Same will happen here.

Edit: Oh and the new ball will get someone too of course.

monolith

Worst case scenario we have a repeat of the 5th test in 2013 where in front of a packed crowd the umpires took the teams off for bad light with a result looming. KP had set up what would have been the most exhilarating run chase I'd ever seen. Still fucked off about that, should have been 4-0.

monolith

I'm absolutely loving this, new ball will probably put a stop to it but would love them to still both be there with an hour to go.

monolith

And that will be that.

Mental ball though, Warne would have been proud of that one.

rjd2

That was good from Rashid.

That probably means when you look at the rubbish to come after Jadeja then an India win is pretty impossible. Best case scenario for them is to draw now.

monolith

Quote from: rjd2 on September 11, 2018, 04:26:42 PM
That was good from Rashid.

That probably means when you look at the rubbish to come after Jadeja then an India win is pretty impossible. Best case scenario for them is to draw now.
Never any realistic chance of a win anyway but was fun whilst it lasted. Looks like Pant has fucked himself now too. What a difference an over makes. And incidentally top captaincy by Root to not take the new ball straight away, got us the break through.

Kind of want India to hold on for a draw as 4-1 seems harsh, this is easily the best I've ever seen India play in England, has been a top series.

rjd2

Yeah these monster chases don't happen. Best case scenario is you get a really exciting big partnership , but what normally follows once that is broken up is a relatively limp collapse.

monolith

Buttler would have got that... If Anderson doesn't break the record at home I'll be pissed now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You'd think we'd maybe get Sharma who is their best blocker but might get a peach or a spinning ball. Then Shami and Bumrah aren't secure in defence so it would be amazing if they got out with a draw.

My friend is at the ground and says rain is arriving. We may have blown it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

New ball taken, got to try Ali with the hard ball for at least an over

Pranet

Quote from: Andy147 on September 10, 2018, 10:17:34 PM
The other Ryan Sidebottom was still playing last season (aged 39), to be fair.

Yeah nothing wrong with the general gist of the point.