Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:01:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs you can't hear without crying

Started by canadagoose, November 03, 2018, 10:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One off man mental

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 14, 2018, 03:04:24 PM
Listening to Morrissey's bloody awful cover of Back On The Chain Gang reminded me of the Pretenders original, and just having that going round my head was *almost* enough to get me greetin' like a fucking big Mary Anne. "I found a picture of you, those were the happiest days of my life".

(edited for splellign)

My discovery of the Learning to Crawl album and that song in particular coincided with a good friend's death (naturally it was on repeat in the aftermath), the 5th anniversary of which happened to fall yesterday. This, combined with him being a lifelong Evertonian and me a lifelong red made today's derby a rather strange one for me emotionally.

Mr Banlon

alan nagsworth

Finally checking out Low for the first time, listened to that "Just Make It Stop" tune. Absolutely sobbed my eyes out pretty much through all of it, I'm a wreck right now. Pretty sure it ain't gonna go any easier on me with repeated listens in the future but I'm still gonna listen to it loads anyway. Incredible.

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 03, 2018, 08:10:05 PM
Finally checking out Low for the first time, listened to that "Just Make It Stop" tune. Absolutely sobbed my eyes out pretty much through all of it, I'm a wreck right now. Pretty sure it ain't gonna go any easier on me with repeated listens in the future but I'm still gonna listen to it loads anyway. Incredible.

Loads of theirs have had me bawling over the years. "2-Step", "When I Go Deaf", "Nothing But Heart", "Broadway (So Many People)", "Shots And Ladders", the list goes on. They're incredible.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: non capisco on December 03, 2018, 08:27:28 PM
Loads of theirs have had me bawling over the years. "2-Step", "When I Go Deaf", "Nothing But Heart", "Broadway (So Many People)", "Shots And Ladders", the list goes on. They're incredible.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to finally digging into this stuff. Can't even begin to describe how much that tune knocked me off my feet, honestly!

I did also listen to Double Negative earlier and while it didn't have the fullest of impacts on me, I could tell there was so much there that's guaranteed to reveal itself so I'm gonna stick with it. The last two tunes in particular are corkers.

Dead Soon

Quote from: Dead Soon on November 06, 2018, 11:28:02 PM
This one's brand new to me - Simple Minds and Glittering Prize.

Horrendous falling out with a beloved friend a few weeks back; lots of lamenting, biting, ruefulness pervading over the following days. Then, after spending a night on the sofa at my mate's after a melancholic drinking session, woke up with that song playing in my head, tormenting me ALA Groundhog Day. I was in a catatonic state, gazing at the ceiling, feeling too sick and numb to move, dearly missing my friend who didn't want to know me anymore. Feeling core-deep regret at what had happened to us and that this shouldn't have been.

Now I can cry with joyous emotion, because she's back. We made up on a chance meeting on a night out. Incredibly emotional. We'll never be parted again. Like a glittering prize. But I cry just listening to it in my head. I hope I never chance upon it on Radio 2 or the like.

Reader, she fucked off again a few days later.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 03, 2018, 08:10:05 PM

Yeah, it's a fabulous track :-)

Janie Jones

Quote from: Dead Soon on December 06, 2018, 04:52:06 PM
Reader, she fucked off again a few days later.
Oh, man, really? I'm sorry. If she came back once, maybe she will again.

PowerButchi

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Photograph by Ringo Starr (with a little help from his friend, George).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhDKHo2wapM

Such a beautiful, bittersweet song. It gets me every time.