Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:21:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The quality of writing on the BBC News website

Started by Noonling, July 24, 2019, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteJoh and Pat have Christmas mice and carrots around their home in Edinburgh all year round.

Fair enough if they want to do that but I don't think it needs to be a news story.

dissolute ocelot

Is a Christmas carrot a supermarket thing? When did that start? Not sure about Christmas mice either, but there are mice in The Nutcracker if nowhere else in the festive narrative.

Are those all thermometers on the wall? Must be really hoping it'll snow.

idunnosomename

Aldi first used Kevin the Carrot in Christmas 2016 and deploy him in various seasonal guises with tie-in plush toys. Ads voiced by Jim Broadbent (Harry Potter star)

touchingcloth

What the hell are you all on about. The only way a carrot could be any less Christmassy is if used for a snowman insertion.

BlodwynPig

Uncle TechTip

I mean you're calling into question the findings of an eminent professor there, is he on the payroll of the BBC too? He has names, he has stats. Makes sense to me.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 26, 2024, 05:27:33 PMI mean you're calling into question the findings of an eminent professor there, is he on the payroll of the BBC too? He has names, he has stats. Makes sense to me.

are you taking the piss?

sevendaughters

well we defeated the bots and hackers by giving her cancer, take that Mao Zedong

MrMealDeal

QuoteRotherham United dropped into the bottom three of the Championship in September and did not manage to lift themselves out of the relegation places since

BBC journalist doesn't know that 'since' is only used with the present perfect

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68691286

Ambient Sheep

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68737365

QuoteMr Maley, who lives in Arizona, has seen 83 eclipses since 1970 - including annual, partial and total solar eclipses - across 42 countries.

Think they mean annular, not annual...

Ambient Sheep

Meanwhile, has anybody else been having navigation issues with the BBC News website over the last few days?

Specifically, if you go to the homepage, then tap on a story to read it, when you then press Back, instead of going back to the homepage, it leaps you back to whatever page you were on BEFORE the BBC News homepage, be that CaB, PPRuNe, RailForums, or Wombat Fighting Monthly.  Or even just the default new tab.

I also had some issues a few days ago with getting the wrong story for the headline I tapped, but that seems to have cleared up now.

(This is on Android, dunno about Desktop.)

jamiefairlie

Headline on front page confused me as to who the baddie was.

Teen killed man with machete at playground

sevendaughters

Strange handwringing bit of political analysis where they can't really deny the crime or its extent, but also want to morally censure the regime for doing it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-68778636

Icehaven

There was a story on there the other day about a man who murdered a woman while she was pushing a baby in a pram, and the link was illustrated with what looked like a stock photo of a young man looking at his phone and smiling benignly, which looked more like it should have been used to illustrate a story like "Are YOU addicted to your phone?" etc. It turned out the guy in the picture was the murderer so they probably lifted it from his social media but they could have picked one which looked less like a shampoo advert. I remember the good old days when they only used mugshots or pictures where the murderer looked dishevelled and mad.

FeederFan500

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 11, 2024, 01:00:03 PMStrange handwringing bit of political analysis where they can't really deny the crime or its extent, but also want to morally censure the regime for doing it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-68778636

Even The Economist would stop short of this, written as fact and not reported speech.

QuoteYet faster growth in Vietnam almost inevitably means more corruption. Fight corruption too much, and you risk extinguishing a lot of economic activity. Already there are complaints that bureaucracy has slowed down, as officials shy away from decisions which might implicate them in a corruption case.

"That's the paradox," says Le Hong Hiep. "Their growth model has been reliant on corrupt practices for so long. Corruption has been the grease that that kept the machinery working. If they stop the grease, things may not work any more."