Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:40:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Captain Tom grift continues

Started by Icehaven, July 05, 2023, 06:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Sorry if there's already a thread about this but I couldn't find one. Now they've used the charity name and possibly its money to build themselves a private spa despite also being refused planning permission.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-66100178

The old geezer would be so proud of the ongoing investigation into their finances.

BlodwynPig

It was mentioned in original thread but good to start a new one.

I reckon Tom was in on the grift.

Im also hoping this will be a wake up call for the rotten minded English public

dontpaintyourteeth

Has there ever been a more obvious grift? Springfield Monorail tier from the very start.

shoulders

Under his breath the whole time:

Haha.. Wankers. Wankerssssssss.

hamfist

Icehaven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 05, 2023, 06:58:19 AMIt was mentioned in original thread but good to start a new one.

Oh so it was, sorry! Much like Covid itself I'd almost forgotten the Remain Indoors board existed but it's still lurking in the background like death in Lonely Water.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Icehaven on July 05, 2023, 08:01:39 AMOh so it was, sorry! Much like Covid itself I'd almost forgotten the Remain Indoors board existed but it's still lurking in the background like death in Lonely Water.

More like the lift scene in the original Dark Water

Replies From View

Terminally slow yet grinding tenaciously ever-forwards without need for sleep or sustenance, Captain Tom Moore is in many ways the death that will consume us all.  His daughter merely facilitates the inevitable.

Jockice

He'd be turning in his grave if he knew what was going on. Or at least walking round it a hundred times.

One in eight young people have never seen a Captain Tom in real life.

Alberon

Has anyone? Beginning to doubt he ever actually existed.

Butchers Blind

That person who threw shit at old Tom was right.

Jittlebags

Not many people know that Captain Tom was the original Bungle.

non capisco

If all else fails Hannah can always start a Sopranos dining experience with her playing Janice.

touchingcloth

Can't wait for the Behind the Bastards about this Nazi war bastard and his entire family of sub bastards.

jobotic

I'd not be shocked to my core to find out there was an element of elder abuse in this sorry tale. Not an accusation of course.

Senior Baiano

Rich Uncle Skeleton

abbot's just said as much on good morning britain.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 05, 2023, 10:43:29 AM

"When my father died, I fashioned his body into an armchair and every night I release hot eggy grunters on him."

Jumblegraws

Sooz Kempner tweeted game footage from Tomb Raider 2 where the player locks the butler in the meat locker, joking that it was video of Capt Tom's daughter dealing with him, and I had a "THAT'S who he reminds me of!" moment

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on July 05, 2023, 10:47:45 AMI'd not be shocked to my core to find out there was an element of elder abuse in this sorry tale. Not an accusation of course.

His "auto" biography deal included a requirement for 1,000 signed copies (RRP £50 each +p&p). I wonder how enthused he was aged 100 with months left to live to spend that time in a room signing his own name a thousand times for the profit of others.

Spoiler alert
Happily it didn't come to pass because after a few (one? Ten? A hundred?) he complained of being "tired". Rather than miss out on fifty quid a shout for a hastily written book (or, horror of horrors reduce the price), the rest of the run were stamped with his signature by person or persons unknown.

This is all public record, and articles were published at the time detailing this. The UK press reaction to this bit of misrepresentation was a collective shrug.

I suspect they thought Magic Grandad made them untouchable whether it's flogging books, making hooky charity payments or building non-permitted swimming pools in their massive house. Who knows what else was going on?

Though of course I wouldn't want to speculate and am making no allegations here.
[close]

Quote from: non capisco on July 05, 2023, 10:26:07 AMIf all else fails Hannah can always start a Sopranos dining experience with her playing Janice.

daf

Quote from: Jockice on July 05, 2023, 08:19:40 AMHe'd be turning in his grave if he knew what was going on.

This is Ground Control to Captain Tom
You've really made the grave
And the papers want to know what shits they were
Robbing money to build a swimming pool, without a care

This is Captain Tom to Ground Control
I'm turning in my grave
And I'm spinning in a most peculiar way
And the dirt looks very different today

For he-e-e-e-e-e-re
Am I rotating in my wood box
Fa-a-a-a-r beneath the world
Reputation - it's been screwed
And there's nothing I can do

idunnosomename

It's not continuing, this is it. It's finished.

Their big error was to fundraise without having thought of anything to actually spend on. A little bit more caution and I'm sure she could've made her late father into a Pudsey Bear for the elderly. Alas, he will only ever be associated with the mania of the pandemic.

It's been a ride though, from his first wife running off with their sex councillor all the way to a young woman nearly getting a draconian prison sentence for pouring a caravan blackwater canister over his silhouette.

If Billie had shagged the boring old Tory cunt it all never would've happened. Makes you think.

Astonished to read that they've only just wound up accepting donations, in spite of being under investigation for over a year. Who the fuck was still giving money to these people?

Senior Baiano

Oh yeah, what happened to the shit pouring woman?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Senior Baiano on July 05, 2023, 12:44:41 PMOh yeah, what happened to the shit pouring woman?
the judge gave her a suspended sentence because at the end of the day it was only a bit of runny shit and did not cost much to clean up

QuoteShe was told to complete 30 rehabilitation days and must pay £200 compensation for the work needed to repair the statue, a £154 victim surcharge and £85 costs.

I'd quite like to find out to what extent our government pushed this supposed feel-good story turned typical tale of upper class British grifting. They were given such a publicity blitz in comparison to other tales of people pulling together in trying circumstances during covid.

I read that story not long ago about how we have a whole load of feelgood, 'uplifting' hashtags ready to go should a terrorist incident happen, in order to correctly manage the public's response to such things and pondered if the good Captain and his tale was seized upon as a pandemic equivalent. 'Don't spend time pondering how your government fucked up its pandemic response to such a staggering degree, focus instead on this doddering old fucker trundling around his giant garden. Heartwarming innit?'