Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:37:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Australian horror films

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 29, 2024, 10:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Don't know how to start the thread, sorry.

Was disappointed by You'll Never Find Me after reading so many rave reviews and didn't like Talk To Me, but I consider myself a fan of Australian horror. How mad is that?!

Anyway, put Aussie horror chat here if you like.

dead-ced-dead

I mentioned this in the Late Night with the Devil thread, but I really enjoy Red Hill (2010).

A mean-spirited, lean at 90 minutes, horror-western. It subverts the western trope of vengeance coming to town and has a lot of fun doing it.

Sebastian Cobb

Wake in Fright, obvs

The Ozploitation era has some right gems. Long Weekend is great, obnoxious environmentally unconscious campers getting mullered when nature decides to fight back.

Minami Minegishi

Next of Kin!
Turkey Shoot!
Razorback!
Hounds of Love!
Alison's Birthday!
Braindead!
Bad Taste!

I'm not sure if these are strictly horror but I react to them like horror films:

Snowtown!
Ghosts... of the Civil Dead!
The Plumber!
Picnic at Hanging Rock!

I love the utter nihilism and disturbing amorality of Australian films.

Bad Ambassador

Very strictly horror-adjacent, but The Last Wave is excellent.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 29, 2024, 12:52:08 PMVery strictly horror-adjacent, but The Last Wave is excellent.

Weir has a truly eclectic CV. I adore most of his films, but his 70s works are my favourite:

The Cars That Ate Paris
Picnic At Hanging Rock
The Last Wave
The Plumber

Although these films are masterful, I don't think they necessarily herald the arrival of the crowd-pleasing Director he would become.

Mister Six

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Mister Six on March 29, 2024, 05:50:21 PMThey're from New Zealand, you racist.

They're all flamin' galahs to me mate.

George White

Next of Kin is great. It also has my avatar in it (Tommy 'Jock Stewart' Dysart).

Blinder Data

I really enjoyed the babadook. a horror with considerable emotional heft.

most shocking moment was when the woman wants to get her son psychiatrically assessed and the GP says "ok but you'll have to wait a couple of weeks". a couple of weeks! I almost screamed at how terrifyingly better the Australian health system is than ours

13 schoolyards

Nobody's mentioned Wolf Creek yet? First one was good, diminishing returns after that (though I appreciated the way the second tried to do something different), never finished the TV version.

And Lake Mungo is excellent

phantom_power

Another NZ one but I really enjoyed Housebound (2014) about a woman who has to go under house arrest back at her parents' spooky house. From the director of M3gan!

jonnyunitus

Hounds of Love was pretty great, from what I can remember. Bloody tough watch though, a hallmark of Australian horror generally, I guess

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: phantom_power on March 30, 2024, 08:59:58 AMAnother NZ one but I really enjoyed Housebound (2014) about a woman who has to go under house arrest back at her parents' spooky house. From the director of M3gan!

Oooh cheers

holyzombiejesus

Is there a loose theme that you could group a lot of Aussie horrors under? I was going to say that there's almost a genre - 'outback horror'? - but I may be just thinking of Wolf Creek, and a bit of You'll Never Find Me and a couple of others. There does seem to be a looser theme where it seems easier for people to go under the radar and (generally) men to get away with doing what they like.

Or am I just spouting bollocks after afternoon pints?

Catalogue Trousers

Long Weekend (1978) and Razorback are both well worth watching.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 30, 2024, 05:52:41 PMOr am I just spouting bollocks after afternoon pints?

You are, but it's my kind of bollocks.

I saw an hour-long conference plenary on Ozploitation once and the academic made the argument that the term shouldn't be applied to films before the 60s and not beyond the 80s. I bit like the French New Wave, or Italian Neorealism. You know, navel gazing genre studies type stuff. But he did contextualise post-80s Australian cinema as having it's own sense of Australia as a place for people to hide. Outback Horror sounds pretty good to me. Of course it doesn't always fit every fucked up Aussie horror, but most do feature the lawless expanse of the country as kind of psychogeographical characteristic.

Brundle-Fly

I really enjoyed this dumb'n'nasty cannibal flick from 2008.

paddy72

Also NZ, but Coming Home in the Dark is an excellent psychological horror.