Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:37:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien: Romulus.

Started by Glebe, March 20, 2024, 05:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Another film I thought there was already a thread for but I can't find one (it's been discussed in other threads I'm certain). Anyway, teaser trailer:

Not much to go on there. Judgement reserved. We'll see...

bgmnts

Fuck me dead have you seen a more uninspiring, formulaic wank modern horror trailer in your life?

BWOONNNGGG
BWOOOONNNNGGG

Silence

JUMP SCARE AHHHH ALIEN KNOB TONGUE OH NOOOOO

Butchers Blind

Is Fargo man still making that Alien series?

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on March 20, 2024, 05:37:00 PMFuck me dead have you seen a more uninspiring, formulaic wank modern horror trailer in your life?

BWOONNNGGG
BWOOOONNNNGGG

Silence

dont forget the *pant* *pant*

FACE HUGGERS!! INNER MOUTHS!! M-41A PULSE RIFLES!!

IM GONNA CUM!

badaids

Well this looks AvPR levels of dogshit.  Will still watch it and complain about it though.

perplexingprocrastinator

how do they keep fucking this up, it's not rocket science jfc.

Formulaic as this is, it would look basically alright if everything wasn't FUCKING GOD FUCKING DAMNED FUCKING CGI.

Look at those weightless aliens. They look so incredibly Not Fucking There. The puppets and miniatures of 50 years ago still look INFINITELY better (and scarier) than all this shhhhhhite.

It really is time to smash all the computers with a hammer, smash them to smithereens and go back to practical effects. They're cheaper, and they're vastly better.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 20, 2024, 06:10:58 PMIs Fargo man still making that Alien series?

For some reason I thought that had been cancelled ages ago, but apparently he is. The actors strike has put it back a bit but its set to debut next year and according to this: https://www.joblo.com/everything-we-know-about-the-alien-tv-series/ it's going to ignore everything apart from the first two movies, which I think is definitely a good idea.

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

I mean it'll be no Rebel Moon though

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 20, 2024, 07:28:35 PMFor some reason I thought that had been cancelled ages ago, but apparently he is. The actors strike has put it back a bit but its set to debut next year and according to this: https://www.joblo.com/everything-we-know-about-the-alien-tv-series/ it's going to ignore everything apart from the first two movies, which I think is definitely a good idea.
I'm done with this "ignore the bad movies" approach. No. If you want to use one of these long running series, you have to crowbar your shitty film into the existing stories somehow. You're not allowed to make a new Alien thing without accepting that, I dunno, the aliens were made by a puffy white tall bloke drinking some goo or whatever the fuck it was.

kalowski

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 20, 2024, 07:28:35 PMFor some reason I thought that had been cancelled ages ago, but apparently he is. The actors strike has put it back a bit but its set to debut next year and according to this: https://www.joblo.com/everything-we-know-about-the-alien-tv-series/ it's going to ignore everything apart from the first two movies, which I think is definitely a good idea.
An even better idea would be to ignore everything apart from the first movie.

Midas

Honestly ignore everything apart from Giger's art

Midas

Any ideas why it's called Romulus, what's the significance

Mister Six

Quote from: Midas on March 20, 2024, 10:03:04 PMAny ideas why it's called Romulus, what's the significance

Star Trek crossover.

bgmnts

Quote from: Midas on March 20, 2024, 10:03:04 PMAny ideas why it's called Romulus, what's the significance

Because one film was called Prometheus and fuck it.

buzby

This looks like the usual 'memberberries bullshit, and as it's set between the first two films they get to raid both of them for references. Soundtrack directly copying the soundtrack of the trailer for the first film? Check! interior of the ship has exactly the same white padded walls as the interior of the Nostromo? Check! Exact same corridors from the base on LV426 in Aliens? Check! Ripley-alike wandersing round with a pulse rifle? Check!

"It's like poetry, it rhymes"

Rev+

Looks like it'll deliver a solid slice of entertainment to me.  The trailer has everything I remember from the first two films, so I'm looking forward to cracking open a Peroni and settling down to an intense sci-fi experience.  Fuck the haters.

phantom_power

I think Alvarez is pretty good at directing scares and suspense so if this is going back to the first film style of space horror then it could be decent

SteveDave

Quote from: Midas on March 20, 2024, 09:55:06 PMHonestly ignore everything apart from Giger's art

"Ooooh it looks like a leather cock!"

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on March 20, 2024, 05:37:00 PMFuck me dead have you seen a more uninspiring, formulaic wank modern horror trailer in your life?

BWOONNNGGG
BWOOOONNNNGGG

Silence

to be honest yes I have

madhair60

i thought the trailer was alright to be honest and it's quite funny that people are upset that an Alien movie has Alien stuff in it

greenman

Quote from: phantom_power on March 21, 2024, 08:07:15 AMI think Alvarez is pretty good at directing scares and suspense so if this is going back to the first film style of space horror then it could be decent

He's not really at all on the same level as Scott of that era though and the original doesn't just depend on jump scares.

Jerzy Bondov

Nobody is going to make a film as good as Alien while working in the Alien franchise. But they might make something entertaining (Aliens, Alien Resurrection, that's it that's your lot, will not elaborate, bye)

Minami Minegishi

I thought that looked like a trailer for a bad film.

phantom_power

Quote from: greenman on March 21, 2024, 08:23:54 AMHe's not really at all on the same level as Scott of that era though and the original doesn't just depend on jump scares.

He is not on the level of one of the best directors of all time in his prime, no. He is capable of making a good horror film though, probably more so than Scott now

Critcho

I still think Prometheus is good. Yes it's flawed (some of the deleted scenes would've improved it quite a bit - typical Ridley), but I see it as Scott recognizing that part of the original film's impact was that the aliens were unpredictable and weird, and wanted to make another film in that style that didn't fall back on the same old monsters that had become so cosily familiar over the years.

That didn't always work, but sometimes it did. I much enjoy the whole squid pregnancy sequence. Also I like that the film had a slightly lighter, almost Star Trekky feel to it at times.

Unfortunately the internet flipped out about it so hard, it seems to have scared the studio off ever trying anything different with the series again, so I guess we'll just be getting the same old facehuggers and xenomorphs until the end of time.

Still, this looks better than at least half the films in the series.

greenman

Quote from: Critcho on March 21, 2024, 10:27:25 AMI still think Prometheus is good. Yes it's flawed (some of the deleted scenes would've improved it quite a bit - typical Ridley), but I see it as Scott recognizing that part of the original film's impact was that the aliens were unpredictable and weird, and wanted to make another film in that style that didn't fall back on the same old monsters that had become so cosily familiar over the years.

That didn't always work, but sometimes it did. I much enjoy the whole squid pregnancy sequence. Also I like that the film had a slightly lighter, almost Star Trekky feel to it at times.

Unfortunately the internet flipped out about it so hard, it seems to have scared the studio off ever trying anything different with the series again, so I guess we'll just be getting the same old facehuggers and xenomorphs until the end of time.

Still, this looks better than at least half the films in the series.

I think part of the reaction to it was that you could see the potential there for a genuinely good film, Scott if perhaps not at the level of his earlier career can still make very good looking films, the casting is often excellent, a few set pieces are as well but its marred by a not very good messy script which feels like its been heavily fucked around with.

Pete23

I thought it looked good, perhaps a bit heavy on the fanservice but hopefully that's just because it's a teaser. Lots of Alien / Aliens / Alien Isolation influences but as long as the story is different that's a good thing, right? After all they are set in space stations and spaceships built by the same company around the same time as those earlier films - that's the Alien look. It could be 2 hours of Alien greatest hits but at this stage I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Aparently the Romulus name comes from one of the 2 space stations in the movie - Romulas and Remus. One's old, so has more of the Alien look and feel while the other is brand spanking and has more of an Aliens feel. From rumours online it sounds like...

Spoiler alert
...the film starts with them finding the original Alien alien floating dead in space and it all kicks off when they try and clone it.
[close]

Jerzy Bondov

When will these silly far-future corporations stop mucking about with the alien from Alien! They're bloody obsessed with bio-weapons. At least Brad Dourif had the excuse that he fancied it.

greenman

Quote from: Pete23 on March 21, 2024, 10:49:59 AM
Spoiler alert
...the film starts with them finding the original Alien alien floating dead in space and it all kicks off when they try and clone it.
[close]

That actually sounds quite a bit like the William Gibson script for Alien 3.