Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Middle Class Panic Purchases

Started by Dr Trouser, March 18, 2020, 11:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 19, 2020, 09:20:32 PM
Already happened:
- 4K monitor because 2K simply isn't enough when you're working from home for more than a few days
- Loads of drugs

Still to happen:
- An exercise bike
- Some totally inappropriate speakers (unless someone talks sense into me over here https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,78764.0.html )
- Some games console, it's gonna happen, seems inevitable
Just the games console to get still, although I got an adapter for my Wii U that might repair it enough to use here.

Strongly looking at DJ Hero right now too

Dewt

A lot of tinned haggis delivered to an Amazon locker. Half a can plus some frozen vegetables is a really good meal right now, and delivering it to a locker that's in the front of Whole Foods means I can go ZOOM in and ZOOM out right before closing time and not have to go to a supermarket for quite some time. Plus nobody in America eats haggis so it's always in stock

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Thinking of panic buying a new guitar or an oculus rift

Dewt

That is absolutely ridiculous.

The Oculus Quest might be more suitable.

pancreas

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 21, 2020, 11:52:27 PM
Really isn't: this is just something people say because they imagine it makes things more rustic and authentic. The pesto doesn't know you used a hand blender, like the fire doesn't know it's been started with a lighter. Save your muscles and give it a shorter blitz on the lowest setting; that'll provide all the authentic texture you need. See also: Thai pastes. (But, Twit, in Thailand the elderly in the village use their own dented foreheads to bash their lemongrass! Yes, because they're poor. They'd fucking love a hand blender. You might as well blow on cold water for a cup of tea instead of turning on the kettle. I MEAN, WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE?)

See here, boy:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/quick-tip-faster-curry-paste-mortar-pestle-food-processor-test-best-flavor.html

I know it's written by a cunt, but David Thompson says much the same. The issue with a Thai paste is getting it smooth enough. It really has to be properly a paste, not a pesto style mulch, otherwise it doesn't homogenise properly into the coconut milk and you can't get the oil separation. I'm not sure I've ever got it right, pestle & mortar or something else. Eventually gave up and started buying the pastes. Which is, for me, a real admission of failure.

pancreas

Just bought a Coravin so we can do Zoom-based wine tasting.

Twit 2

Quote from: pancreas on March 22, 2020, 10:39:21 AM
See here, boy:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/quick-tip-faster-curry-paste-mortar-pestle-food-processor-test-best-flavor.htmlj

I know it's written by a cunt, but David Thompson says much the same. The issue with a Thai paste is getting it smooth enough. It really has to be properly a paste, not a pesto style mulch, otherwise it doesn't homogenise properly into the coconut milk and you can't get the oil separation. I'm not sure I've ever got it right, pestle & mortar or something else. Eventually gave up and started buying the pastes. Which is, for me, a real admission of failure.

Thanks, will pass that off as my own insight in the future.

As for bought pastes, that really is lowest of the low. You're not bald enough for that level of defeatism. A man like the poster Shoulders? Such a man buying jarred pasta sauce is understandable, though still lamentable. The fight has gone out of him. There's no culinary flair, just a meek thwarted dome reflecting off a provincial Iceland strut. But a man of your stature and hairline? It just doesn't sit right with me, I'm afraid.

Where are you getting these Thai pastes? It better be somewhere exclusive and esoteric.

Sebastian Cobb

If you're making pastes mini choppers are your best bet. Morrisons do one for a tenner. Although Delia recommends a £20 Kenwood.

I ordered 2 kilo of Columbian Dark coffee from Thompsons earlier. I usually get a kilo through work at trade prices but I ordered 2 to get free delivery. Should last a couple of months if I freeze 'em.

seepage

Quote from: pancreas on March 22, 2020, 11:49:51 AM
Just bought a Coravin so we can do Zoom-based wine tasting.

have you filled your loft with the capsules for it?

pancreas

Quote from: seepage on March 22, 2020, 02:19:34 PM
have you filled your loft with the capsules for it?

Do I need loads?

Blue Jam

seepage

Quote from: pancreas on March 22, 2020, 02:35:58 PM
Do I need loads?

I was being facetious, but one capsule =15 x 5 oz (148ml) glasses apparently.

pancreas

I'm going to be like one of those youths that everyone complains about leaving spent Nitrous Oxide canisters on street corners. Except it'll be because I fancied a glass of Bonnes Mares with my chicken liver parfait.

Puce Moment

Just swapped 2 free range eggs for some ginger root. This isn't the apocalypse I was promised.

Sebastian Cobb

What's wrong with opening a bottle of wine then consuming it until it's gone?

pancreas

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 22, 2020, 04:33:53 PM
What's wrong with opening a bottle of wine then consuming it until it's gone?

Nothing—you could even take 2 days over it if you wanted to pretend to a veneer of respectability, Cobb.

This is about opening 6 at a time, for a wine-tasting club.

Or ... suppose I want a glass of Aussie Shiraz with my oxtail ragu, a glass of Dry Furmint with my artichoke soup, a glass of Grosse Gewächs Riesling with my Bachelor's super noodles, a glass of Chateau Margaux with my Goblin Hamburgers in gravy. This is a typical meal for me. How can you pair one wine with all that?

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 21, 2020, 03:02:08 PM
Just panic-bought a starter kit from my local homebrew place and am going to brew some St. Peter's Honey Porter with it. Shelves were emptying and the man in the shop said they were even busier than they had been at Christmas.

Priorities.

Sounds great. St. Peter's Ruby Red Ale was the first kit I ever brewed and that was superb. Only last week I was seriously pondering getting rid of my brewing kit due to space, but now I've gone and got a few kits in.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 21, 2020, 03:02:08 PM
Just panic-bought a starter kit from my local homebrew place and am going to brew some St. Peter's Honey Porter with it. Shelves were emptying and the man in the shop said they were even busier than they had been at Christmas.

Priorities.

I've been brewing on and off for *counts* god nearly 11 years so let me know if any CaBbers need a (virtual) hand with it. There's an awful lot of shite talked about brewing, it is laughably easy and I'm convinced all the jargon is to make it seem more difficult than it is.

Ferris

Quote from: Dewt on March 22, 2020, 03:46:27 AM
That is absolutely ridiculous.

The Oculus Quest might be more suitable.

Fucking hell this is absolutely the perfect excuse to buy one

Dex Sawash

Wife panicking that we'll be on statewide lockdown from a rumour leaked from "friend in governor's office"
We're off to get 10 gallons of paint to redo the rooms we couldn't afford to do when we moved in 18 mo ago.

Dr Trouser

We've been looking for a dog since before Christmas and the rescue ones we've seen haven't really been suitable (high prey drive etc), so as well as keeping an eye on the rescue places we've been looking at puppies that crop up on gumtree etc.

It now transpires that there is a shortage of puppies as people are buying 'lockdown' puppies. Is this so they have en excuse to break Boris's curfews and exercise it, or as it might be a source of protein? or are they just getting a puppy so that for 12 weeks the kids will have something to play with (and chuck in a river when they're back at school)?

I'm sure I saw that BoJo's sister just got a puppy as well.

Really, really fucking close to buying a keyboard here. Was thinking about buying a guitar, but a half decent keyboard is cheaper, needs less peripheral equipment and won't have strings that can snap. And I feel like I can sell the idea to my partner a bit easier.

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 22, 2020, 06:46:10 PM
Fucking hell this is absolutely the perfect excuse to buy one

I'd get an Oculus Quest too but I like playing nasty horror survival games so I'd be too scared to try it out.

That said, I wonder what Portal 2 is like in VR...

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dr Trouser on March 23, 2020, 10:19:15 AM
It now transpires that there is a shortage of puppies as people are buying 'lockdown' puppies.

I must confess, I was also thinking "this would be a good time to get a dog". You'd get plenty of time off work to train it, you could still practice social distancing while exercising it, and of course you'd have a cute and loving companion for the lonely times ahead.

I have been wanting to get one for years though, no doggo of mine would end up in a canal.

Sebastian Cobb

Getting a dog seems wiser than getting an incontinent puppy when you're ostensibly supposed to be staying indoors.

Blue Jam

Would be fine if you had a garden, otherwise you'd have to find a way to exercise it indoors:

https://youtu.be/LAO6-rkpYCY

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 23, 2020, 12:10:57 PM
Would be fine if you had a garden, otherwise you'd have to find a way to exercise it indoors:

https://youtu.be/LAO6-rkpYCY