Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:57:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Country Series 3

Started by Malcy, January 21, 2020, 08:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 27, 2020, 03:40:38 PM
Alright, don't be a bellshaft ;)

No, I was pointing out to bgmnts that you'd already posted the link. I forgot your original one was wonky.

magval

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 27, 2020, 11:33:05 AM
Odd that Kerry seems to be getting singled out for most of the plaudits here. I find some of her bits really off-putting and over-egged. I think Daisy's performances seem to have become a little more cartoonish since the first series too and stuff like that bit about her getting hit in the corner of her cornea with a fruit corner would have been better edited out, even if just replaced with Kurtan muttering "Her garden, her garden."

Agreed, I've gone off her a bit. Charlie's a much better actor, and Kurtan's performance and reactions are much subtler. I think he's fantastic. She's great too, but she's one note.

Blue Jam

Grrrrrr I won't have this. Daisy May Cooper is the highlight of The Personal History of David Copperfield.

bgmnts

Problem is Kurtan is brilliant but its really hard to not think Gareth Keenan.

Len Pounds

Quote from: Puce Moment on February 18, 2020, 04:02:36 PM
I really like this a lot, but I am smitten with the tone.

Have to second this as I couldn't put it any better myself!

Take for example the whole sequence with Kurtan driving the vicar's car, it was done so perfectly. I feel like they could easily have gone for a 'moment of sudden realisation' from the vicar that something wasn't right, but it was all the funnier that he was oblivious to the whole thing ever happening!

Likewise Kurtan's response to June's open garden, at first it seemed like one of his typical overreactions, only for the episode to go on and reveal that she is in fact a total bitch, and the cherry on the cake was that nobody in the entire village came out to see her garden!

Quote from: bgmnts on February 27, 2020, 06:13:56 PM
Problem is Kurtan is brilliant but its really hard to not think Gareth Keenan.

First episode or two, what with his appearance, his accent, some of his mannerisms, and the mockumentary format, I had a hard time believing they hadn't used some of that newfangled Hollywood technology and made Mackenzie Crook into a young man again.

I no longer make that jump in my head at all now, as Kurtan is such a well-drawn and fully realised character, and you come to realise he's actually not that much like Gareth Keenan at all.

bgmnts

This is true, I just sometimes can't get past the look and sound, plus I am up and down on him being intelligent and thoughtful, sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.

Yeah the Coopers said they filmed a scene in the pilot where the characters acknowledge how much Kurtan resembles Gareth but they cut it out.

I'm glad they did as although they are superficially the same they're entirely different characters, and I don't think a new British mockumentary referencing the most famous British mockumentary would have been a good thing.

poodlefaker

Gareth could be Kurtan's older brother who went to Swindon College and got a job.

Utter Shit

He has a lot of Gareth about him in terms of the pettiness and obsessions (and the hair and voice obviously), but I'd maybe argue that Kurtan is more like Tim - you get these little moments that hint at him being reasonably intelligent, but stuck in his boring little village with an idiot cousin that he can't leave behind. The classic sitcom trope of being trapped, just like Tim was.

wooders1978

I live near Swindon nowadays - there is no shortage of Gareth/kurtan types I can assure you

Len Pounds

Haha yeah I've got family from down that way, and my cousin and his pals used to sport the curtain look! They had all grown out of it by their late teens however.

Kurtan thinking he's cool and stylish, yet looking the spit of a massively unfashionable twat from 20 years ago is an incredibly Kurtan thing to do.

BritishHobo

Plus Gareth was quite a dull bloke pretending to be an interesting one. The only thing he was really interested in was power and the armed forces. I'm not sure he'd have the kind of mad passion for things Kurtan does.

Quote from: ersatz99 on February 25, 2020, 11:29:09 PM
Big guffaw at the vicar's concern that Kerry had learned from Mandy that Jesus was massively sarcastic.

That bit was my highlight too

"Oh, ok, I'll just rustle that up for you then. How many of you is there, just the 5000 of you is it?"

The way she screwed her face up on that line reminded me of Limmy.

Dr Syntax Head

The vicar's jacket story was great. For me this show is up there with people just do nothing. Just so much great attention to detail and even minor characters seem fully rounded out.

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 27, 2020, 06:12:37 PM
Grrrrrr I won't have this. Daisy May Cooper is the highlight of The Personal History of David Copperfield.

Yes, she is. But I thought it was absolute shit in general. Probably the worst thing I've seen at the cinema since Billy Elliot. Which is the worst movie in the entire history of cinematography.

magval

Anyone else feel like the 'sarcastic Jesus' section feels like an abandoned standup routine?

Len Pounds

A little bit now you mention it... But then again it does pass as the sort of shite Big Mandy would spout and the impressionable Kerry would repeat verbatim.

The only bit that has felt really out of place for me was the opening sketch from the second series, where she's talking about a Peruvian pan flute band in someone's attic? Just seemed a bit too wacky to me unless I'm missing something.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Len Pounds on February 29, 2020, 08:25:38 AM
A little bit now you mention it... But then again it does pass as the sort of shite Big Mandy would spout and the impressionable Kerry would repeat verbatim.

The only bit that has felt really out of place for me was the opening sketch from the second series, where she's talking about a Peruvian pan flute band in someone's attic? Just seemed a bit too wacky to me unless I'm missing something.

Dunno, that seems like exactly the kind of nonsense fanciful myth that could easily spread round a small town like that

holyzombiejesus

I completely agree that the pan pipe band bit was crap. Worst moment of all the episodes I've seen. Didn't like Kerry's mum talking about scraping the shit out of her knickers with a spoon either.

jobotic

Yeah. I liked it when Kurtan asked Kerry's mum if she wanted turning over, but it was ruined a bit by her telling where the shovel was.

edit: I think i may have copied this post from someone else earlier in the thread.

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on February 29, 2020, 02:17:10 PM
Dunno, that seems like exactly the kind of nonsense fanciful myth that could easily spread round a small town like that

I liked the idea that someone could be found to have a loft full of dead bodies a few years back, but doesn't live there now because he moved to be closer to work.

Bazooka

Tonight s on the tv vision

chocolate teapot

Quite a dark, downbeat episode.

Blue Jam

Ah I love Len.

I liked the detail of the bunch of flowers Martin bought for Sue having a yellow Tesco reduced price sticker on them.

Shame we didn't get a bit more of Martin's bullshitting and going on like he's a complete ledge rather than a boring twat. It would have been funny if no-one had turned up to his freedom party and he'd had to spend the evening talking to Kerry.

I wasn't sure about Kurtan's nan either. I wanted her to remain an unseen and unheard character. I liked her objection to Kerry stemming from her leaving some Pringle shards on the sofa armrest though- Kurtan is fastidious and now we know where he gets it from.

holyzombiejesus

I loved the bit with Kurtan and his Nan, and his differentiating between chatting and nattering. I REALLY want to see Kurtan's memes. So sad this is finishing.