Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rowan Atkinson: Man VS Bee

Started by TheMonk, January 05, 2021, 11:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Speaking (with great difficulty obviously HAHAHAHA) as someone who has a bad stutter and is pretty reserved I just want to say thanks lads. Was really starting to get complacent there for a second.

popcorn

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on January 09, 2021, 06:23:41 PM
Speaking (with great difficulty obviously HAHAHAHA) as someone who has a bad stutter and is pretty reserved I just want to say thanks lads. Was really starting to get complacent there for a second.

sorry about that. I was trying to do an impression of the famous and satisfying way Atkinson pronounced "Baldrick" which he credited to the effort he had to put into saying words beginning with B. not very nice of me, thoughtless and shite. I do apologise.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: popcorn on January 09, 2021, 08:07:01 PM
sorry about that. I was trying to do an impression of the famous and satisfying way Atkinson pronounced "Baldrick" which he credited to the effort he had to put into saying words beginning with B. not very nice of me, thoughtless and shite. I do apologise.

Accepted, thanks. I don't usually pull people up on this stuff but sometimes things all just pile up on your tit end, don't they?

popcorn

I can do lots of other brilliant celebrity impressions if anyone would like to hear them.

Icehaven

TheMonk

When he talks about not enjoying playing Mr Bean due to the weight of expectation, do you think he thought Pizza Bean met expectations?
Why doesn't he let the character just age a bit and dive into age appropriate japes? You know, getting his prostate checked, eating a bag of Werthers in a very funny way, reading right wing newspapers in a McDonalds...

ZoyzaSorris

I have to say that I can be counted amongst those who are surprised at people thinking mr bean is anything but fodder for simpletons (eg the aforementioned infants and foreigners) but I last (and first) saw it as a sharp-witted, wise-cracking teen with 90s curtains, so now the relentless march of cognitive decline might put me back in the suitable bracket, mental capacity-wise. That and the cab hivemind giving it the thumbs up means maybe I should head back for a reappraisal. My 6 your old kid claims to like the cartoon and I once met a man in Ecuador who loved it (not the cartoon) so what can I say.

Andy147

FWIW there was a documentary on ITV last night ("Happy Birthday Mr Bean") looking back at 30 years of Mr Bean.

Was pretty good as these things go - comments mostly from Rowan Atkinson, Richard Curtis and Robin Driscoll, plus some from Angus Deayton and Matilda Ziegler, not too many from "random celeb who watched the show once". Bits about the origin of the character, etc.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Andy147 on January 11, 2021, 08:15:25 PM
FWIW there was a documentary on ITV last night ("Happy Birthday Mr Bean") looking back at 30 years of Mr Bean.

Was pretty good as these things go - comments mostly from Rowan Atkinson, Richard Curtis and Robin Driscoll, plus some from Angus Deayton and Matilda Ziegler, not too many from "random celeb who watched the show once". Bits about the origin of the character, etc.

Agreed, it was a lot better than these things usually are.

kalowski

Quote from: Malcy on January 06, 2021, 11:12:08 PM
I really like the 2nd film as well. It's just daft.
Is that Mr Bean's Holiday? The scene when he put the jumper on his head and mimed to opera made my children laugh so much I thought they were going to die in front of me.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Andy147 on January 11, 2021, 08:15:25 PM

Yeah it was great. Atkinson came across really well considering the reputation he's starting to get.

evilcommiedictator

I think it's like Cleese, media go to them for a soundbite and they don't give a fuck about it, like Cleese on the Fawlty Towers commentary, Rowan on the Keeping Mum commentary is rather quiet and observant

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 11, 2021, 09:43:17 PM
Yeah it was great. Atkinson came across really well considering the reputation he's starting to get.

Yes. He came across as a nice man who takes his craft seriously, but who is also very aware of how that might look to people who think it's just a load of titting about and saying words in a funny way. I believed him when he said that perfectionism is a pain in the arse.

I don't know Rowan Atkinson, but I get the impression that he's a rather shy, nerdy person who is fully devoted to the art of comedy. You only have to watch Blackadder to see how that dedication paid off.

Captain Z

I will never think of him the same after watching a certain cold lasagna-based stand up show.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 12, 2021, 01:38:24 AM
I believed him when he said that perfectionism is a pain in the arse.

Oh definitely, that bit came across quite sad, he clearly meant it when he said that he doesn't see it as a positive trait.

TheMonk

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 12, 2021, 09:05:20 AM
Oh definitely, that bit came across quite sad, he clearly meant it when he said that he doesn't see it as a positive trait.
No wonder he looks so unhappy in The Thin Blue Line then.

These days they'll arrest you and throw you in jail, just for standing there, exasperated, whilst David Haig rants about things in, around and up his arse.

rude soil

Trailer is out. This is a series with multiple episodes and one bee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ1vN_91KO0

idunnosomename

Even if the bee hadnt moved off his leg it would still hurt when he hit it with a hammer

I rarely find these hapless protagnist wrecks their house in maniacal pursuit of a small animal funny when theyre cartoons, never mind when its a british person in their late 60s

Bad Ambassador

Apparently it's 10 10-minute episodes, so basically a film split into small chunks, like Quibi.

Glebe

BritishHobo

I thought it would look more cartoony and farcical. As it is I feel like I'll just be thinking - as the trailer sets up - "fucking hell, this man is ruining his life and he's going to go to actual prison".

TheMonk

You know, I like the look of that.

shoulders

Quote from: rude soil on May 26, 2022, 06:52:43 PMTrailer is out. This is a series with multiple episodes and one bee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ1vN_91KO0

That looks bad, even making allowances for the intended audience. Derivative idea (I get that that's the idea, but it's still a shit one), poorly shot in a way that doesn't make best use of exhibiting his physical comedy. Hopefully it's actually quite slow and low key outside of these stunt bits.

idunnosomename

Netflix should have just bought Cup of Tea and Pizza Bean

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 27, 2022, 01:08:52 PMNetflix should have just bought Cup of Tea and Pizza Bean

Teddy wanted too much for the image rights.

Utter Shit

Just me that likes the look of this then? I was sold on it in the early stages of production as something along the lines of Mr. Bean, but this seems to basically be live action Tom & Jerry. Looks like fun.

shoulders

See if it even gets to the competent 3 star level of Mouse Hunt.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: shoulders on May 27, 2022, 06:53:49 PMSee if it even gets to the competent 3 star level of Mouse Hunt.

Mouse Hunt is a masterpiece, pal.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 27, 2022, 06:48:34 PMJust me that likes the look of this then? I was sold on it in the early stages of production as something along the lines of Mr. Bean, but this seems to basically be live action Tom & Jerry. Looks like fun.

Yea I liked the look of this also. Looks totally stupid and fun