Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:48:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rowan Atkinson: Man VS Bee

Started by TheMonk, January 05, 2021, 11:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

I wish Rowan Atkinson would stop crapping on about cancel culture.
https://deadline.com/2021/01/rowan-atkinson-cancel-culture-mr-bean-blackadder-1234664901/

On his new Netflix series- I can't recall a less enticing idea for a comedy series than this:

MAN VS BEE: Renowned actor and comedian Rowan Atkinson plays a new character in this riotous comedy. A man finds himself at war with a bee while housesitting a luxurious mansion. Who will win, and what irreparable damage will be done in the process?

There was a Mr Bean sketch where a bee interrupted his picnic and that was mind numbing at five minutes.

Oh well. Never mind.

Blumf

Shaky

Has he ever done anything other than shoot down mention of new Blackadder before? Sounds like he's thinking about it.

Utter Shit

Mr. Bean is obviously great, and this seems to be along the same lines so it could be good. It's a shame he's a cunt, though.

the science eel

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 05, 2021, 11:52:10 AM
Mr. Bean is obviously great

Is it? Is that the consensus here at CaB? (genuine question)

These days, you can't even try to read the words to Hallelujah out of a hymn book held by the late Richard Briers without being arrested and thrown in jail.

Utter Shit

Quote from: the science eel on January 05, 2021, 11:56:42 AM
Is it? Is that the consensus here at CaB? (genuine question)

No idea, but it's brilliant. So inventive and clever to wring that much humour out of limited set-ups and little to no speech.

jobotic

You shouldn't kill bees. We need bees. Cancel him.

thugler

Agree Mr Bean is clever and inventive. But it's played out as fuck now no?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Shaky on January 05, 2021, 11:18:49 AM
Has he ever done anything other than shoot down mention of new Blackadder before? Sounds like he's thinking about it.

This idea for a new Blackadder was first mooted a couple of years ago (after a few of them met up to discuss) and it was reported that Atkinson was very keen. Although I took that with a pinch of salt when was raised again last year, I thought that maybe this time they meant it.

I don't really recall Atkinson being dead against doing Blackadder in that past, but Ben Elton spoke out against this latest idea for bringing it back.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 05, 2021, 12:23:34 PM
No idea, but it's brilliant. So inventive and clever to wring that much humour out of limited set-ups and little to no speech.

Also, as Atkinson has pointed it, the humour is very universal.

popcorn

Quote from: TheMonk on January 05, 2021, 11:02:59 AM
MAN VS BEE: Renowned actor and comedian Rowan Atkinson plays a new character in this riotous comedy. A man finds himself at war with a bee while housesitting a luxurious mansion. Who will win, and what irreparable damage will be done in the process?

There was a Mr Bean sketch where a bee interrupted his picnic and that was mind numbing at five minutes.

"Renowned actor and comedian Rowan Atkinson plays a new character", deso.

Tbh that sounds like it would be a good premise for a Mr Bean episode, or possibly, in an alternative universe, the first Mr Bean film. Self-contained with escalating stakes, could have been a masterpiece. And they could have called it Bean vs Bee

idunnosomename

the original mr beans up to and including Do-It-Yourself are fucking masterpieces. the Mr Bean character is a bit played out now. and a reminder about his cursed youtube channel CaB discovered a year ago where they just endlessly reuse a few green-screen clips of atkinson gurning in videos for babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOBUXCb3M8c

imitationleather

TheMonk

Quote from: imitationleather on January 05, 2021, 01:09:00 PM
PIZZA BEAN
That and the Cup Of Tea one are honestly nightmarish. If anything should trigger Atkinson's cancellation it's those travesties.

Phil_A

From the title I thought this was going to be some kind of documentary about the effects on the biosphere caused by humankind's destruction of insect species.

I think that would've been funnier than this.

kidsick5000

Post Offices in Singapore would play Mr Bean episodes (with some post office ads in between) So that people in the queue would have something to watch. This was in the 2000s before everyone had an amazing phone.
Universal humour.

In other Atkinson news, my review of the last Johnny English film prompted one chap (email was at soldieroffortune.com) to issue me a thinly-veiled death threat. I didn't like the film, and this chap didn't like that I did not like it.

evilcommiedictator

Surprising that more than one person liked the last Johnny English film tbh.

Just finished shouting at someone who claimed that Rowan's interview was nuanced, and twitter proved him right. Ah yes Rowan, an "Algorithm" publishes news headlines like "BEAN DENOUNCES CANCEL CULTURE", and your two paragraph response is very, very nuanced.

JamesTC

Oh fuck off. You've got Cup of Tea stuck in my head again. Catchier than You've Turned Off Replies.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 05, 2021, 11:52:10 AM
Mr. Bean is obviously great, and this seems to be along the same lines so it could be good. It's a shame he's a cunt, though.

Don't think there's ever been any real proof of his cuntiness, showing my age but thought the view on here was Mr Bean was a lowest common denominator load of garbage aimed at children and non-English speakers, like the horrible Hill minus the sexism and a real comedown from Blackadder and Not the Nine O'Clock News.

idunnosomename

Appealing to everyone hardly makes it garbage. the performances are great from everyone (not just Atkinson), the situations are great, and the finale gags always satisfying. he had Bean as his own character before he even started NTNOCN surely?

I must say, the bit with the invisible wasp, being the closest to trad mime, is probably the weakest classic segment.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

chveik

I remember the show being repeated on french tv at every holiday and it always made me feel a bit depressed. maybe I was just a weird kid

"Pizza Bean" is a fucking banger though. hope they make a doom metal version

Chedney Honks

In Chinese they call him Bean subnormal.

Thomas

Quote from: JamesTC on January 05, 2021, 11:21:04 PM
Oh fuck off. You've got Cup of Tea stuck in my head again. Catchier than You've Turned Off Replies.

Love the implication that you're familiar enough with Cup of Tea that it's been stuck in your head before.

Also love the original Beans. As described above, they are masterpieces of humour and gentle pathos. I often revisit those cosy, sad, hilarious originals.

Not heard Pizza Bean yet but I'm opening YouTube as we type. Even as a child I disliked the ugly Flash style of the follow-up animated series.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 06, 2021, 12:27:01 AM
Appealing to everyone hardly makes it garbage. the performances are great from everyone (not just Atkinson), the situations are great, and the finale gags always satisfying. he had Bean as his own character before he even started NTNOCN surely?

I must say, the bit with the invisible wasp, being the closest to trad mime, is probably the weakest classic segment.

I'm sure I've seen him doing the routine in church where's he's trying to eat a sweet on stage, I think with Angus Deayton, so that was before TV Bean, at least.

PlanktonSideburns

This is Thomas 's mum, posting from plankos phone, for the obvious reasons

Just to let you know, Thomas died of a broken heart last night watching pizza bean videos

I hope your happy

JamesTC

Quote from: Thomas on January 06, 2021, 12:01:22 PM
Love the implication that you're familiar enough with Cup of Tea that it's been stuck in your head before.

I occasionally say it when seeing tea in the cupboard. Thankfully I rarely actually drink the stuff.

I do eat pizza a lot but that isn't as catchy.