Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:23:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rowan Atkinson: Man VS Bee

Started by TheMonk, January 05, 2021, 11:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

I tried having pizza bean as an animated avatar but it gave people seizures

Jerzy Bondov

Very glad that the loony left have failed in their attempt to stop Atkinson making his edgy comedy about a man trying to get a bee

Thomas

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 06, 2021, 12:10:33 PM
This is Thomas 's mum, posting from plankos phone, for the obvious reasons

Just to let you know, Thomas died of a broken heart last night watching pizza bean videos

I hope your happy

Thanks mum. Please come home from that strange man's house soon.

This is Thomas' twin brother; I'll be taking over posting duties from now on. It was a lovely service and we played both Bean songs as we lowered the coffin into acid.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 06, 2021, 12:30:36 PM
Very glad that the loony left have failed in their attempt to stop Atkinson making his edgy comedy about a man trying to get a bee
I can't wait till Darren Grimes posts a selfie of him laughing at it on the television with a big drink of Yorkshire Tea in a I LOVE MARGARET THATCHER AND BREXIT mug to own the libs

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Jake Thingray on January 06, 2021, 12:05:49 AM
Don't think there's ever been any real proof of his cuntiness, showing my age but thought the view on here was Mr Bean was a lowest common denominator load of garbage aimed at children and non-English speakers, like the horrible Hill minus the sexism and a real comedown from Blackadder and Not the Nine O'Clock News.

Writing off a piece of comedy on the grounds that it appeals to a broad audience that includes children and (gasp!) non-English speakers is pretty daft and snobbish, I reckon. You could say the same about Chaplin or Keaton or Laurel and Hardy.

My hot bean take is that the original 13 (14?) Mr. Bean TV episodes are, on the whole, very good, although I definitely prefer the first 7 episodes (up to and including Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean) over the subsequent block of episodes which, IIRC, were less sketch-based and more linear and were (again IIRC) entirely shot on film, which never felt quite right to me - the dingy, cheap-and-cheerful video aesthetic of the earlier shows always felt like a much more natural fit somehow.

My favourite individual Mr. Bean joke is when he's in his bed ready to go to sleep so he pulls a pistol from his bedside drawer and just shoots the lightbulb to turn it off. I love to imagine the scene where Mr. Bean procured that gun.

Old Nehamkin

Now chuckling to myself remembering the running joke where he keeps knocking that Morris Minor off the road. Yeah, Bean was good.

Old Nehamkin

It is true that the algorithmic Mr. Bean youtube empire is pure dystopian nightmare territory.

Blumf

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on January 06, 2021, 12:57:10 PM
Now chuckling to myself remembering the running joke where he keeps knocking that Morris Minor off the road. Yeah, Bean was good.

Reliant Supervan (Regal)

idunnosomename

Three cheers for Rupert and Hubert!

Phil_A

I used to adore all the Beans as a kid, and I still think Mr Bean's Diary is one of the greatest comedy tie-in books of all time.

The two Bean films were both dreadful though, the first one in particular completely misjudges the tone at times to a bizarre degree. The bit in the hospital where Bean becomes a Christ-like healer is baffling beyond words.

Atkinson comes across as a very odd bloke indeed. I've often wondered if might be a bit on the autistic spectrum but I've never heard anything to confirm that.

Old Nehamkin

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Phil_A on January 06, 2021, 01:15:17 PM
The two Bean films were both dreadful though, the first one in particular completely misjudges the tone at times to a bizarre degree. The bit in the hospital where Bean becomes a Christ-like healer is baffling beyond words.

I mostly agree, but I do think the sequence in the first one where he ruins the painting is pretty terriffic.

JamesTC

I'd love to see a cut of the first Bean film with all the stuff in England added back in. Apparently the whole first act was cut out by the studio.

Sadly I don't this there is any demand for Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie Special Edition.

TheMonk

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on January 06, 2021, 12:53:39 PM
My hot bean take is that the original 13 (14?) Mr. Bean TV episodes are, on the whole, very good, although I definitely prefer the first 7 episodes (up to and including Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean) over the subsequent block of episodes which, IIRC, were less sketch-based and more linear and were (again IIRC) entirely shot on film, which never felt quite right to me - the dingy, cheap-and-cheerful video aesthetic of the earlier shows always felt like a much more natural fit somehow.
Yes, I remember witnessing the jump the shark moment as it first went to air before jump the shark was a thing. It's the bit with Bean dressing up in drag and Danny La Rue ripping off his earring because he's wearing his frock. Broad rubbish. It was at its best when it was more subtle. The pool scene with Angus Deayton is clearly the highlight.

Utter Shit

I've always thought that you could make a reasonable argument that Bean is one of the purest screen villains of all time. While he has plenty of empathetic moments and sometimes he does bad things because they will benefit him, most of his misbehaviour has no ulterior motive, it's just pure malevolence. He throws a can of beans (and attempts to throw a fucking CHAIR) at someone, not because he doesn't like the bloke as he's never met him...just because he wants to. Same when he's at the art gallery and deliberately standing in front of the paintings - he does it for no reason other than to antagonise the other bloke.

Also, while I'm overanalysing a slapstick comedy aimed at children - not enough is made of the fact that Bean has a gun. Where did he get it from? Why did he want it? Is it licensed? Where on earth does he live, that using it in the middle of the night to turn his light off without getting out of bed doesn't raise any alarms in the building/local area?

Bad Ambassador

I liked the detail that the bedside cabinet where he keeps the BB gun is otherwise filled with boxes of lightbulbs.

I much preferred the second film to the first, as it steered away from trying to shoehorn in dialogue and pays homage to Jacques Tati very explicitly throughout. The ending, with Bean editing Willem Dafoe's terrible art-wank film into something brilliant as it's being screened, was lovely. Dafoe was a good laugh.

lankyguy95

I was just about to mention Mr Bean's moments of malevolence. Listening to the young Christmas carol singers at his door, tempting them with chocolate, and then slamming the door in their face is joyfully horrid.

Utter Shit

Is it a BB gun? I'll have to rewatch, I thought you hear a proper gunshot?

Utter Shit

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 06, 2021, 01:52:36 PM
I was just about to mention Mr Bean's moments of malevolence. Listening to the young Christmas carol singers at his door, tempting them with chocolate, and then slamming the door in their face is joyfully horrid.

One of the carol singers is a friend of mine!

MojoJojo

Quote from: Phil_A on January 06, 2021, 01:15:17 PM
I used to adore all the Beans as a kid, and I still think Mr Bean's Diary is one of the greatest comedy tie-in books of all time.

I'm going to have to find that now.

sevendaughters

he always runs that car off the road, but the credits does establish he is an alien or thrown out of heaven, so maybe we expect too much

Gurke and Hare

The idea of the animated Mr Bean series really annoys me. The whole point of Mr Bean is that it's an actual real person doing the amazing physical commentary. There's nothing clever about an animated figure doing what it's been drawn to do though.

Dog Botherer

the gun scene was a favourite as a kid. just the sheer anarchy of destroying the bulb every night tickled me.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 06, 2021, 02:30:04 PM
The idea of the animated Mr Bean series really annoys me. The whole point of Mr Bean is that it's an actual real person doing the amazing physical commentary. There's nothing clever about an animated figure doing what it's been drawn to do though.

No, but it's not really intended to be a substitute or continuation for the live action show. Boomerang snaffled up the exclusive rights to the Warner Bros. and Tom & Jerry shorts, so ITV commissioned Mr. Bean: The Animated Series as a cheap, home grown replacement to fill 15 minute gaps in the schedule.

JamesTC

Is the thing about Rowan Atkinson acting out all the animated stuff for the animators to replicate just marketing bollocks?

Utter Shit

My son watches the Mr. Bean cartoon. It's shite, but no more or less shite than all the other kids cartoons. Money for old rope, of the increasingly numerous reasons to hate Rowan Atkinson it's not very high on the list.

lipsink

Quote from: TheMonk on January 06, 2021, 01:30:04 PM
Yes, I remember witnessing the jump the shark moment as it first went to air before jump the shark was a thing. It's the bit with Bean dressing up in drag and Danny La Rue ripping off his earring because he's wearing his frock. Broad rubbish.

Absolutely. I remember Mr Bean Goes To Town being pretty disappointing and a bit of a dip just before the glorious trio of The Trouble with Mr Bean, Mr Bean Rides Again and Merry Christmas Mr Bean. Didn't they even do an incredibly good library sketch with Mr Bean that was an extra on the early VHS release?

Have to say I quite enjoyed the second movie too.

Thomas

Having watched it once ages ago, I caught some of the second film on TV over Christmas. I like the conceit of Bean's nonsense holiday footage being cobbled together into a Cannes premiere in the final act. Chekov's camcorder.

I like elements of the first film - the sheer panic of the wrecked painting, as mentioned above, and Bean's subsequent fix-job could have comprised an original episode - but the full-dialogue American setting is a little uncanny.

JamesTC