Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

suicide squad: kill the justice league

Started by madhair60, January 27, 2024, 07:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

who's hype for what's sure to be an outstanding game

oggyraiding

I feel like Rocksteady are going to get shut down in the next three months. 9 years since Arkham Knight for a live service looter shooter that has been slated by most gaming publications.

Thursday

I think it's going to be a massive success for years and years to come. When has a live service game ever failed? They're such a safe bet because they're always popular and they make so much money. The best part is, they're so easy and cheap to make as well.

Old Nehamkin

The F Bomb

Anything with any superheroes can fuck off for ever. Nothing inherently against superheroes and twenty years ago I would have and did watched Superman, Spider-Man, Batman but enough is enough and we've had decades more than enough. Too much of a vaguely shit vaguely entertaining thing is absolutely shitting crap.

Jerzy Bondov

I highly recommend preordering this one. Let's just say you do not want to be late to this particular party

Mister Six

Because nobody is going to be playing it after the first week?

madhair60

i have pre-ordered it (because someone bought it for me)

I have to know

H-O-W-L

Thursday

I actually reckon it'll probably be alright. Like a solid 6 maybe even 7 out of 10 and it'll have enough of a built in fanbase to give it life beyond what people are expecting. Better than that Avengers one anyway.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/rocksteady-pulls-suicide-squad-an-hour-into-early-access-after-players-games-auto-completed/

QuoteDeveloper Rocksteady was forced to pull Suicide Squad servers offline less than an hour into its early access release, after players experienced a bug which automatically completed the game after they logged in for the first time.

Off to a great start for those who paid £100 for early access.

madhair60

don't know why they're complaining, saves them a job!!!!

bgmnts

That's one of the funniest things I've read for ages. Lovely stuff.

madhair60

bgmnts

Yeah just hit me in the right spot.

Granted, all I've read in the past few weeks are academic journal articles, X-Men comic books and Merry Hell.

madhair60

The Roofdog

Quote from: Thursday on January 29, 2024, 03:21:35 AMI actually reckon it'll probably be alright. Like a solid 6 maybe even 7 out of 10 and it'll have enough of a built in fanbase to give it life beyond what people are expecting. Better than that Avengers one anyway.

It looks exactly like that Avengers one but with even less to differentiate the playable characters (like why is King Shark just firing big guns at everything when there's another big gun one)

Mister Six

Why are any of them bar Deadshot firing guns? It's Captain Boomerang, not Captain Boom-Bang!

Magnum Valentino

Alberon

Early access codes weren't given out to review, which is never an ominous sign, is it?

The first looks that have been released today suggest it's sort-of okay. Beige.

elliszeroed

Quote from: Mister Six on January 29, 2024, 10:16:01 PMWhy are any of them bar Deadshot firing guns? It's Captain Boomerang, not Captain Boom-Bang!
[/quo
Quote from: Mister Six on January 29, 2024, 10:16:01 PMWhy are any of them bar Deadshot firing guns? It's Captain Boomerang, not Captain Boom-Bang!

I was thinking the same, doesn't Harley have a hammer, and King Shark have a... shark?

Is this a reskinned, always online version of Borderlands?

(Admittedly, most reviews do say the story is pretty good)

madhair60

Quote from: Alberon on February 02, 2024, 06:01:49 PMEarly access codes weren't given out to review, which is never an ominous sign, is it?

it's a live service game so that isn't too unusual.

i've played about two hours. it's complicated. as in, the movement has a lot going on with each character and I can see it being satisfying to master. The shooting is fine, but it's AAA so the game is still basically drip feeding me systems to the point that I don't really know what the main shape of the thing is yet. I've mostly used King Shark who is very melee focused, but I also tried a bit of Boomerang whose teleporting traversal is pretty cool when you get the hang of it. the city feels empty but I've barely scratched it and I know there's Riddler stuff in there. Graphics are kind of crazy, and the story/humour is working for me so far.

madhair60

i regret to announce that this game is fun as fuck.

Glebe

madhair60

I played this for seven hours today and it is honestly fucking great. But it is what it is, and that's a repetitive-by-design game-as-a-service shooter. As a solo player (thus far) I have enjoyed cunting all over Metropolis doing the silly Riddler stuff (more perfunctory here than ever as collectibles go) and side missions for better loot. That said, the loot aspect of the game is pleasingly simple, in that the game will basically funnel you stuff and let you equip it straight up from the "mission clear" screen. The counter-shots do call to mind a rather clever take on the traditional Arkham combat as applied to gunplay, and the fact every character traverses in a unique and nuanced way is very pleasing. Though I'm currently spending most of my time with King Shark and his big jumps and ground smashes and being voiced by Samoe Joe-ness.

Nah, this is fucking good, it's getting it in the neck and while I sort of understand why, if you like a shooter this is one of the best ones I've ever played. It actually feels fresh, which is an odd thing to say about a game like Suicide Squad but I've never seen some of the mechanics here. I like the way you can only regain health in a somewhat obtuse manner - shoot enemies in the legs to stagger then melee them - it all comes together in a nice soup of different things to think about in each fight, while also remembering to let you go beastmode once in a while and just dominate. Yeah this is good, I hope it finds an audience.

Mister Six

What's the live service element? Just - you need to be online even in single player?

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on February 03, 2024, 09:55:57 PMWhat's the live service element? Just - you need to be online even in single player?

yes, though offline single player story is on the way.

at the risk of sounding entitled, always online doesn't bother me as I am in fact always online.

the other service game stuff is the repeatable content in the endgame and the upcoming "seasons" which are probably all getting cancelled if it tanks, but I haven't finished the game yet.

I'm about eight or nine hours deep and I have yet to kill any of the Justice League. I am still enjoying myself enormously, the missions types do repeat but crucially they're all fun and not fiddly, and the customisable loadouts are satisfying to tinker with. That said if you can't be arsed with the loot aspect, it's really ignorable. The main draw for me is how uniquely everyone moves and how they are all focused on different approaches - King Shark gets up close, Deadshot can hover in mid-air and snipe while moving, Harley is just everywhere all the time and Boomerang zips around with his speed force gauntlet, essentially doing the "teleports behind you" meme. It's hard to explain why it's fun, but... it's fun. It's very very polished and has a lot of meat on the bone.

but it's still just a shooter with knobs on. it's not Arkham Knight. (though the tanks from that game do make an appearance)

oggyraiding

I watched some footage of some YouTuber playing it, it reminded me of Crackdown with more fleshed out combat. If they add offline single player and it drops below £30 I might give it a chance. People are getting mad over a scene with a certain character on a certain bench, but I actually like that they had the balls to do that to that character. A lot of mainstream superhero stuff shies away from major character deaths, so it's refreshing to have them outright kill a beloved character.

Mister Six

Quote from: oggyraiding on February 04, 2024, 04:00:19 PMCrackdown with more fleshed out combat.

SOLD!

I'll probably pick it up on sale when I get a PS5.