Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kung Fury

Started by Head Gardener, January 13, 2014, 05:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

pretty much pisses on every other film likely to be released this year, probably

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RqpItxd8M

Blumf

I'm mainly won over because of the Mitch Murder soundtrack.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Released next month apparently. It does look like pretty ridiculous fun.

It also has new Hoff-tastic music video/trailer: https://youtu.be/ZTidn2dBYbY

great_badir

Pause at 53secs - genius.

Head Gardener

checkoutgirl

A Nintendo power glove typing on a Sinclair Spectrum. I'm in.

Povidone

Pandering shite, if this manages to have even an ounce of the entertainment value of the films it's paying homage to I'll be extremely surprised.

Crowdfunding has made credulous zombies of us all.

NoSleep

Quote from: Povidone on May 31, 2015, 11:19:27 AM
Crowdfunding has made credulous zombies of us all.

Give 'em exactly what they thought they wanted.

Mister Six

Quote from: Povidone on May 31, 2015, 11:19:27 AM
Pandering shite

It looks like it, all LOL ZOMBIE NINJA SPACE HITLER JESUS RAPTOR!!!!!!!!11 but the script is genuinely very dryly funny, and the whole thing is superbly put together. Watch it before you judge it.

Povidone

I probably will end up watching it, a few mates I generally get together with for crappy film viewings are eyeing this one up. I'll give it a go and I'll probably enjoy it given that my expectations can't get any lower.

But Kung FuhreFUCK OFF!

Also something about that generic cgi stuff that all modern deliberately shit films use I find really off-putting.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The trailer for Kung Fury had some good moments but also some bits that suggested quite a bit of it is going to be unwatchably tedious too.

Hasselhoff's performance of "True Survivor" for Kung Fury, and the accompanying video seems to cut the wheat from the chaff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTidn2dBYbY

I think I'd rather watch a 4 minute pop video of concentrated 80s retro than sit through a knowingly shit film which entertains in fits and starts.

Mister Six

It's only half an hour long, and it's got about the same amount/quality of material as a good Adult Swim show. Also, some of the violence is genuinely quite creative and fun. It doesn't sit still long enough to become tedious unless you sit there with your arms folded, tutting, from the off - in which case you probably shouldn't bother.

I don't know why I'm defending it so much; I didn't chip into the Kickstarter or anything.

And I liked the Kung Fuhrer gag. :(

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt's only half an hour long

Wellll I didn't know that

VegaLA

Watched this last night. Vega Seal of approval, fantastic romp but...

Quote from: Mister Six on May 31, 2015, 02:29:50 PM
It's only half an hour long

...was not enough. Left me wanting more. This needs to be a TV show right now!

Blumf

I liked it, plenty of funny bits in it (Thor's introduction and the two bickering moustached Nazis being highlights)

However, there is soooo much overlap with S02 of Danger 5, what's that all about eh? Kung Fury beat D5 S02 though.

Lord Mandrake

Couldn't stand more than ten minutes of this fucking Ha ha the eighties SHITE!

Kelvin

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on June 01, 2015, 11:20:27 AM
Couldn't stand more than ten minutes of this fucking Ha ha the eighties SHITE!

I've only seen the trailers, but aren't the jokes more about taking these parodies to an absolutely absurd degree, rather than simple nods and winks to nostalgia? The humour comes from extreme absurdity in all the clips I've seen, not recognition.

monolith

Thought it was hilarious, there will always be cynics but I found it very funny and enjoyable and look forward to future output from this chap.

checkoutgirl

Watched this. Was okay. Good job it was only 30 mins though, couldn't see the idea/joke stretching much beyond that.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kelvin on June 01, 2015, 12:13:53 PM
I've only seen the trailers, but are'nt the jokes more about taking these parodies to an absolutely absurd degree.

Yeah that's the joke, the one joke. But really it's just Xtreme retro SHITE! It cannot sustain five minutes let alone thirty...

Povidone

Quote from: Mister Six on May 31, 2015, 02:29:50 PMAnd I liked the Kung Fuhrer gag. :(

Each to their own ;) To be fair it was mainly just the introduction of Adult Hitler as the big bad, I found it a bit tedious no matter how you dress it up.

As I said I'll probably end up watching this and I am as always overjoyed at the prospect of being proven dead wrong and forced to admit a cringing defeat by a panel of my peers.

Povidone

I am now aware that I wrote Adult Hitler up there, I think I'll leave it as it is though.

phantom_power

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on June 01, 2015, 07:12:06 PM
Yeah that's the joke, the one joke. But really it's just Xtreme retro SHITE! It cannot sustain five minutes let alone thirty...

It's not retro shite though. There were never action films where a policeman had a dinosaur partner, or went back to a distant past where vikings and laser raptors lived. It is like an Adult Swim show, as someone above mentioned. It's like saying Tim and Eric were just taking the piss out of public access TV. If you reduce it to that you miss out on so much of the fun

Lord Mandrake

Ha! A dinosaur police partner lolrandom!! "Hammer time" Ha ha remember MC Hammer? Fucking laser raptors, fucking bollocks. It's steeped in eighties retro, whether it's referencing actual shows or not is irrelevant, those were themes of those times and the whole tone and whole joke is completley reliant on that bombastic style... Ha ha Tracking, remember tracking? 

Jaques Le Cont, Bret's Casio DG20, Darkplace... It's all been done a million times better before, these fuckers were probably born in the nineties anyway and I'm not buying their pick and mix, Jive Bunny bollocks.

brat-sampson

I watched about 10 minutes, and it just made me want to go and re-watch Black Dynamite instead.

phantom_power

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on June 02, 2015, 12:31:05 AM
Ha! A dinosaur police partner lolrandom!! "Hammer time" Ha ha remember MC Hammer? Fucking laser raptors, fucking bollocks. It's steeped in eighties retro, whether it's referencing actual shows or not is irrelevant, those were themes of those times and the whole tone and whole joke is completley reliant on that bombastic style... Ha ha Tracking, remember tracking? 

Jaques Le Cont, Bret's Casio DG20, Darkplace... It's all been done a million times better before, these fuckers were probably born in the nineties anyway and I'm not buying their pick and mix, Jive Bunny bollocks.

Again the joke isn't the tracking but filling in the blanks of what happened while the tape was being chewed. Going from a ground fight to a helicopter fight to a space fight. It may not be original but it is well done and just the right side of absurd.

And again I don't agree that it is just LOLRANDOM! That just seems to be a very cynical, joyless view of something that is just a bit of fun

Blumf

They also made a joke of the action causing the tracking to jitter slightly. Not a massive joke, but a nice small detail.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: phantom_power on June 02, 2015, 11:56:30 AM
Again the joke isn't the tracking but filling in the blanks of what happened while the tape was being chewed.

Yeah I do get that, I'm not actually missing that . In of itself it's an eighties gag. There's nothing really that clever on display. Something that's knowingly shit is still shit however large the wink. It's a huge self indulgent wank for wankers.

Goldentony

mate fucking hell, like