Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:41:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Radio Free Albemuth

Started by Galeee, July 08, 2014, 09:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galeee

Did anyone manage to catch this at the sci if film fest in London? It's being screened at odd venues in the US, but nothing here that I can find..
I requested they show it at LonCon in August but not heard anything back yet..
Despite the lukewarm ratings on Rotten tomatoes, I am dead excited to see this long awaited film.. Roll on Ubik..

sirhenry

And so begins another epic hunt to track down a showing or a copy of this. I hadn't heard about the film, but when I reread the book a couple of years ago it did feel as though it could translate very well onto the screen.

The reviews aren't encouraging though.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

It's not that great as a book to be honest. The observational stuff about how corrupt the US record industry was in the 70s is the best bit. A radical adaptation would actually play it as a realist take on mental breakdown and delusion. I think that's the way to adapt Valis, if anyone ever wants to. Probably best to fold all the Valis-related stories together (inc. Divine Invasion) as a very free adaptation, like Cronenberg did with Naked Lunch.

sirhenry

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on July 12, 2014, 11:25:43 PM
I think that's the way to adapt Valis, if anyone ever wants to. Probably best to fold all the Valis-related stories together (inc. Divine Invasion) as a very free adaptation, like Cronenberg did with Naked Lunch.
But then how would it become a franchise?[nb]You're right, though[/nb]

Buttress

Watched this about a week ago (it's available in the usual places). Good grief that was patchy. Some fairly uninspired acting and direction but I thought overall it was good despite being clearly made on the cheap and with some very ropey SFX. The film also seems to get progressively more stylised and confident as it goes on, which leads me to believe this is probably a first time feature by director John Alan Simon.

I haven't read RFA but I am familiar with VALIS. Not sure how good the adaptation is but the film works fairly well as alternate history sci-fi that explores religious experience and insight through the psychotic delusions and hallucinations of the central character (which in PKD style are ambiguously integrated into the narrative reality).

hermitical

I'm waiting patiently for my Kickstarter DVD

Buttress

Quote from: hermitical on May 29, 2015, 07:45:24 AM
I'm waiting patiently for my Kickstarter DVD

Oof. What's the hold up? I reckon you've earned yourself a bit of piracy there. Though any excuse for piracy is a good excuse.

hermitical

it's all to do with licencing in various territories - surprisingly one of the things I haven't downloaded a 'evaluation' copy