Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:48:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Equestrian Boogaloo)

Started by Neomod, October 16, 2016, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I stupidly went for the full honor achievement the first time and played like a goody-goody, might reinstall this and play like a real bad bastid.

Rockstar won't let me name my horse Ol' Felcher, will they? Spoilsports.

RFT

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 13, 2020, 10:27:24 AM

Anyone know roughly how long the epilogue is? I want to start the game afresh and really explore the whole game, find every animal etc.

There's a good few hours of gameplay in the epilogue, several decent missions - maybe a couple of hours for each chapter, slightly more?

Some emotional bits as well.

Spoiler alert
I got a little lump in the throat when John proposed to Abigail.
[close]

Rizla

Quote from: RFT on October 13, 2020, 05:10:01 PM
There's a good few hours of gameplay in the epilogue, several decent missions - maybe a couple of hours for each chapter, slightly more?

Some emotional bits as well.

Spoiler alert
I got a little lump in the throat when John proposed to Abigail.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Just thought though, if you don't bother with the Mary stuff as Arthur, does John still have the photo of the two of them when he proposes to Abigail, or the ring for that matter (ie is it the ring Mary gives back to Arthur?).
[close]

Noodle Lizard

Anyone know roughly how long the epilogue is? I want to start the game afresh and really explore the whole game, find every animal etc.

Surprisingly long. At least another 2 hours or so if you played straight through.

EDIT: Sorry, people already answered!

JamesTC

Also, I don't know if I accidentally skipped a cut scene or what, but for the last few missions of the main story, I didn't have my horse any more. I'm pretty sure I didn't get her killed during gameplay, but suddenly I was stuck with a completely different one. So she didn't get a happy ending either.

You may have accidentally switched horses at a stable. Of course, you lose all horses for the epilogue.

I was bawling like a fool when Arthur said goodbye to Mr Ed.

Blue Jam

I manged to ride a horse off a cliff. I respawned at the foot of the mountain carrying the saddle and it took me a while to figure out what had happened. My big dumb horse didn't rear up at the cliff edge like most of them do.

After all we'd been through together I was genuinely sad to say goodbye to Onion Terror and Big Mandy.

JamesTC

Would have been nice if there was some sort of record of your horses in the menus so you can see the ones you've lost.
Spoiler alert
Arthur
[close]
got a grave but there is no way to memorialise your beloved horses.

I miss Mr Ed.

beanheadmcginty

Too late for Mr. Ed, but could you use Arthur's camera to photograph your horses so that you can remember them that way? I don't actually know as I never use the camera.

QDRPHNC

Neomod

Started the thread and finally started the game last night. How long does the leading you by the hand first chapter last?

Also control seems a bit clunky compared to the first one so far. Search especially.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: Neomod on October 18, 2020, 10:31:50 AM
Started the thread and finally started the game last night. How long does the leading you by the hand first chapter last?

Also control seems a bit clunky compared to the first one so far. Search especially.

Not that long. Couple of hours at most. Though you do only unlock new gameplay features and weapons fairly slowly for a while. Usually it's things like fishing, and legendary animals to hunt, which are optional anyway. More annoyingly your deadeye gets new features at specific story missions so you're stuck with the crappy version for a while.

The controls are... an acquired taste, it's true. I personally found them fine after an awkward start. Others still struggled with them after 100 hours. It definitely seems the biggest stumbling block to how much you enjoy the game. Probably along with the somewhat selective approach to realism. If you don't like the game forcing to to take it slow at times, you won't like it. If you can stomach that, you're in for one the best gaming experiences in years.

beanheadmcginty

I love Arthur but it doesn't half make my blood boil when he casually slings his litter on the ground after eating something.

Utter Shit

Was I accidentally playing on easy mode or something? I barely ever used Dead Eye throughout the entire game, in fact I think I pretty much only used it for tracking animals while hunting, and it didn't stop me from progressing serenely throughout. I died a handful of times during missions but not often at all, with no Dead Eye?

colacentral

You don't need it if you use the auto aim. I turned it onto manual aiming about halfway through because it was far too easy and I found myself needing to use dead eye constantly.

Utter Shit

Ah auto-aim was on for me the whole time, I didn't even know it was an option to not have it on!

Rizla

Been dipping back into this, after watching Limmy playing (and getting hilariously tetchy with his viewers who keep trying to give him advice and tell him all the cheats), I came across one of those funny glitches you sometimes get - those two brothers competing for the lass who get you to shoot bottles off their heads, when I accidentally killed them, their bodies were still there when I restarted the mission. Was hoping I could get a big pile of duplicate corpses but it cleared after a couple of restarts. Trying out a new little sporty horse instead of the Arabian I usually went for, quite like him (Pony Blackburn).

Inspector Norse

Decided to start a new playthrough. Just set up camp at Horseshoe Overlook and have already found myself in one of those open-world game situations where you decide for some reason to check out a really specific spot on the map, only for it to be right at the top of a big fucking mountain, and you have no idea how to get up there and your horse has buggered off somewhere, so I've spent 40 minutes of my Saturday evening walking a little man around in aimless circles trying to find the path.

YES

Ferris

^ive been too lazy to start another play through, so I've been watching Limmy do his. Enjoying it so far.

beanheadmcginty

Finally completed last night. I actually needed the positive epilogue after my Arthur got shot like a dog in the face by Micah on a rainy hillside. I had been a fucking angel throughout the game but my honour took a pasting from all the farm animal murders I'd committed in order to complete all the hunting tasks, then I accidentally triggered the final mission so got Arthur's bad ending. I have so much goodwill for John from the previous game that I don't resent playing as him in the same way that I couldn't physically bring myself to play as his son in the epilogue of RDR1. Sadie was definitely the breakout star of this, I hope she's the subject of RDR3.

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 24, 2020, 10:54:37 PM
^ive been too lazy to start another play through, so I've been watching Limmy do his. Enjoying it so far.

Has he managed to set fire to a horse yet?

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 25, 2020, 01:55:43 PM
Has he managed to set fire to a horse yet?

Biggest laugh was him
Spoiler alert
naming his horse "Craig One". 'What's that? Oh no reason, don't want to spook him, just... he's Craig One, don't want to scare him, there may be others' etc etc
[close]

So not yet. He actually seems a big softy on his horses (as is everyone in this thread, apparently. I certainly was).

Cuellar

Tuned in at a point where he'd clearly got bored of missions and was just killing everything in sight. He was absolutely NOT being a big softy to the horses THEN, let me tell you. They were the first to go.

Gambrinus

First time I played this I lost my horse right towards the end of the game following an attack from the inbred hillbilly fuckers. I went hunting them down with dynamite, which was very out of character for my Arthur.

Ham Bap

Been watching Limmy's playing this. The bit where he's at now I think is where I stopped playing this.
I never made a decision to stop playing, just never went back to it one time. Then the longer time passed the less chance there was of me ever returning to it.
I'm surprised I played it as much as I did as Limmy has been playing it for weeks now.

mobias

I played it in stops and starts. I'd like to replay it again on PC and try and get into it more. Try and play it in one go and find the groove of it a bit more this time. Its a beautiful game but I just didn't feel I ever engaged with it properly, and I felt like I genuinely wanted to but just couldn't for some reason. The story seems a bit lack lustre and its not helped by the fact you basically know whats going to happen.

kalowski

I helped the scientist (Drago?) bring his robot to life last night. Didn't do that last run through. Great fun.

Inspector Norse

Really enjoying getting into it a second time. There were just so many little things in the game that a lot of it still feels new. Was riding around the Cumberland Forest yesterday and found I hardly remembered that area.

Some of the "random" encounters seem to happen the same way - heading up the path after doing the bear mission with Hosea, I met the woman trapped under a dead horse who needed a lift back to Annesburg, and remembered the same thing happening at the same time in my first playthrough, taking me to a whole new area of the map long before I really needed to go there - and yet others do pop up and surprise me: I spotted the pervs peeping through a window in Valentine rather than Strawberry and am pretty sure that the scene inside - when I myself had a look - was different. And I don't remember ever before meeting the dreadlocked herbalist dude who wanted me to pick some yarrow.

Mobius

Somebody should use the RDR2 game engine to make a Blood Meridian videogame

kalowski

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 28, 2020, 07:11:57 PM. And I don't remember ever before meeting the dreadlocked herbalist dude who wanted me to pick some yarrow.
I didn't meet him first time round. This time, I found some Yarrow and met him a second time and gave it to him, but then I accidentally got on his horse and he went fucking ballistic. Not that much of a hippy at that time.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 28, 2020, 07:11:57 PM
Really enjoying getting into it a second time. There were just so many little things in the game that a lot of it still feels new. Was riding around the Cumberland Forest yesterday and found I hardly remembered that area.

Some of the "random" encounters seem to happen the same way - heading up the path after doing the bear mission with Hosea, I met the woman trapped under a dead horse who needed a lift back to Annesburg, and remembered the same thing happening at the same time in my first playthrough, taking me to a whole new area of the map long before I really needed to go there - and yet others do pop up and surprise me: I spotted the pervs peeping through a window in Valentine rather than Strawberry and am pretty sure that the scene inside - when I myself had a look - was different. And I don't remember ever before meeting the dreadlocked herbalist dude who wanted me to pick some yarrow.

They are two seperate groups of pervs, I met both on my playthrough.