Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Posts on Forums of which you are Ashamed

Started by Rowlands, January 22, 2010, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowlands

It tends to help if these are backed up by embarrassing evidence. I am ashamed to admit that in my early teens I was a bit 'daily mail'. This is exemplified by this post I wrote on a forum a few years ago.

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post443654/#post443654

*Cringes*

Were any of you guys on forums during your younger years, spouting reactionary bullshit?

Christ. "Rant over". WHAT a wanker.

CaledonianGonzo

Rowlands

Three! I changed about a year later when I realized I was surrounded by people like that, and that I was getting pissed off with them.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 22, 2010, 06:55:38 PM
Crikey - that's only two years old!

Can you believe it's nearly SIX YEARS since the world wide web was invented!?

An tSaoi

I remember getting into an abortion debate on a forum a few years back. I was anti-abortion at the time.

AsparagusTrevor

It happens to me all the time, when I get drunk and use the PC. Next day I vaguely remember typing something a bit stupid, then I check and it turns out to be a lot stupid.

joeyzaza

Retinend

Quote from: An tSaoi on January 22, 2010, 07:01:36 PM
I remember getting into an abortion debate on a forum a few years back. I was anti-abortion at the time.

Did getting that fresher knocked up change your mind?

ziggy starbucks

I posted this embarrassing comparison of Morrissey & Rufus Wainwright in 2001

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=8931

I also posted a rant in my native Finnish tongue in this 2007 thread

http://www.koripallo.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=26606.0

which translates as
QuoteNo surprises. Namika III should be able to give a bit stiffer resistance Namika II, pikkainen disappointing noinkin ugly readings. United's division instead earn perhaps surprisingly big point against the catch away lumps, taking into account that disappeared last Kopelle ugly. Is the possibility of a return to reason Pitkänen parquet? That man is indeed pitelemätön.
its cringeworthy reading it back now. I can't believe I was so infatuated with Namika III when Kopelle was really into me and wanted a relationship

DJ One Record

rudi

Quote from: Rowlands on January 22, 2010, 06:46:41 PM
Were any of you guys on forums during your younger years, spouting reactionary bullshit?

In my younger years it still went by its full name Forum Romanum and the most embarrassing spout of mine happened in the halls of the Vestal Virgins.  Ah, happy days...

gmoney

I spent a lot of time in 2002 on hip hop forums, trying to steer the conversation towards Ice T and Slick Rick. It scares me to think my dribblings might still be out there somewhere.

rudi

Now, Slick Rick could teach us a lot if he were to post in the relationship-based threads; a man ahead of his time right there...

ThickAndCreamy

This is a post of mine from an unnamed forum in 2006;

QuoteRight I know this is sort of random but for about 2 hours I have been thinking about what this film is called.... Right does anyone know the name of a film that is around 5 years old and is about a black so called police officer training another white man to be a officer. He tells him to take drugs to get in with the local gangs and recognise with them. Then towards the end the black guy releases that no one actually likes him and will stand up for him and a whole street just tries to kill him while the white guy supposedly raped a girl that the black guy told some poeple he did but he didn't. RIght I know this is VERY VERY confusing but does anybody know the film this is because I really loved and and just wanted to buy the DVD of it. By the way it was on BBC1 about 2 years ago if that helps!!

I haven't changed much.

23 Daves

There are a lot of drunk and/or whiney posts I did on this forum between 2001-2004 (and possibly beyond) that I'm a bit ashamed of.  And I was guilty of going off on random tangents in the early days of my online activity when discussion forums seemed like a hip new thing. 

Because it all feels quite anonymous, it took me a while to get the hang of the idea that the internet actually isn't the best place to hang all your emotions out to dry - you're capable of sounding like a tit, and there are things you should phone your friends about (who will tell you you're blowing things out of proportion) rather than broadcasting them to an uninterested and rather large audience.  I possibly still haven't got the hang of that, actually. 

wherearethespoons

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on January 22, 2010, 07:42:04 PM
This is a post of mine from an unnamed forum in 2006;

I just Googled that and the first result was; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_City_(film)

Anyway, I'm embarrassed almost the second I've clicked post. Fuck it.

chocky909

Was that film 'Training Day' T&C?

I'm generally ashamed of all my posts on here really. I tend to regret them even though they are dull, usually BECAUSE they are dull. Like this one.

...Post

Welshy

I consider almost everything I have written on the internet to be an intelligent and worthy contribution to the great debate.

Although, that said, I did once frequent a cookery forum and argued quite violently that the secret to the perfect short cake sponge base is to fold in the caster sugar BEFORE mixing the egg whites! Such a naive and idealistic young fool.

I also told an anorexic support forum that they were " just a bunch of spoiled little rich girls, off their food". I'm not so ashamed of this one though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Everything on Physicsforums circa@2003.

Or as a general rule, anything 6 months previous to the present time of writing.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Almost everything I've ever posted here, really...

including that

Lord Mandrake

I used to spout shit I didn't know about Marx and Bakunin and anarchsim on a revolutionary leftist site, probably lucky I didn't get a knock on the door about some of it.

biggytitbo

I've posted the same old shite on this and many forums for years. Its one of the benefits(or curses) of getting older, your opinions start to stultify into an homogeneous mass that doesn't change for the last 40 years of your life.

HappyTree

As an opposite-post, I'll say that I wrote a lot of really inspired stuff on a paranormal forum a few years ago. It was just after I'd had my mind-blowing spiritual experiences in the astral world. I was so much less concerned with arguing with people and being rational. Alas, time moves on, the memories fade and "real" life (actually nothing more than a convincing hologram) re-asserts its stranglehold on reality perception.

I wish I could go back and save some of that stuff to read back and inspire me now, but it all got flushed down the cyberloo when the site went defunct. That's a word that sounds rude but ain't.

Serge

My flounce as simondykes, and all of the poorly spaced posts I made under that name. Some of the words in between I'm quite proud of, but I really should have taken notice of how I presented it.

As you can see, I have.

I once threatened to kick someone's head in on the long lost 'David Gedge Fanciers Forum', but in a way that I hoped would be obvious was in jest. It apparently wasn't obvious.

Oh, and I want to apologise to NoSleep for my shitty Sun Ra post a few months ago.

Small Man Big Horse

Ah, so you were simondykes. I always liked the content of your posts, but have to admit the spacing issue did annoy sometimes. But hey ho, it's all for the best, now as Serge you're in my top 10 - indeed you recently overtook a very popular verbwhore after you recommended Carter Beats The Devil which I'm half way through now and love to pieces.

I had a big argument with Neil and flounced off when I was Badly Drawn Hamster, though thankfully we've sorted it out now. But I still feel incredibly embarrassed about the whole thing as I was horribly out of order. Oddly I don't regret anything as SMBH though, not even the 'sex quilt'. Or the time I told that story about drinking my own urine. Hmmm. Well maybe I do that last one a little.

Well since everyone else is being so honest, here's the worst one that I could find. Written six years ago by me on a forum that I'm not going to name. The (very short lived) thread I started with this post was called "Idealism".
In my defence I was horribly drunk and had no memory of writing any of it when I read it the next day. Even then I winced - and not just at the spelling and grammar misdemeanors. 

Im fucking sickened with society. I dont mean government ( that bullshit is so pretenotious i.e. hating the govt.etc.) The real problem is a lot closer to home. I dunno how 2 put this but here goes.......

Right, the only way for someone to secure their power within a group is to exclude someone else. Youve all seen it happen. Everything stems from each individuals desire for security and fear of rejection. Once an individual begins2abide by the rules of a group (by excluding and displaying the relevant techinical knowledge) they have forfitted their own spirit (im not religous in any conventinonal sense but still believe in some form of spirituality .... might go fuerther later) they have become soulless.

This results in the power struggles which I (unfortanately) find in all forms of everyday life. And what is worse is that I have thought about this 2much and cannot see people as people anymore, as I have come to the conclusion that each person's personality is solely a reflection of their level of power and security.

More 2 come later........ I feel so strongly about this I didnt know how 2 put this into words.....

Wow, deep.

I promise I'm not a complete prat. Even back then I didn't go around saying things like this.

Lady Beaner

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 23, 2010, 01:31:57 AM
Ah, so you were simondykes. I always liked the content of your posts, but have to admit the spacing issue did annoy sometimes. But hey ho, it's all for the best, now as Serge you're in my top 10 - indeed you recently overtook a very popular verbwhore after you recommended Carter Beats The Devil which I'm half way through now and love to pieces.

I had a big argument with Neil and flounced off when I was Badly Drawn Hamster, though thankfully we've sorted it out now. But I still feel incredibly embarrassed about the whole thing as I was horribly out of order. Oddly I don't regret anything as SMBH though, not even the 'sex quilt'. Or the time I told that story about drinking my own urine. Hmmm. Well maybe I do that last one a little.

Heh, I think I was the one who outed you by accident. And then I accidentally told the forum you were BDH.

And then I got off the bus.

Retinend

Quote from: HappyTree on January 23, 2010, 12:11:37 AM
As an opposite-post, I'll say that I wrote a lot of really inspired stuff on a paranormal forum a few years ago. It was just after I'd had my mind-blowing spiritual experiences in the astral world. I was so much less concerned with arguing with people and being rational. Alas, time moves on, the memories fade and "real" life (actually nothing more than a convincing hologram) re-asserts its stranglehold on reality perception.

I wish I could go back and save some of that stuff to read back and inspire me now, but it all got flushed down the cyberloo when the site went defunct. That's a word that sounds rude but ain't.

As an opposite-rely, you'll think that you failed to document not a great deal of not intensely, highly original precise objects on a Richard Dawkins location of closed, restricted debate. It wasn't a long time following you not having your cognitively-compressing rational experiences out of the atomic world which didn't exist and you didn't experience. You weren't so little more unbothered without pacifying without a single person and not being stark raving bonkers. Joyously, space stays wholely immobile, the vivid, unaltered and unalterable entity grows more lucid and "fake" death (not actually everything less than a ludicrous tangable object) limply intimates its loose grip on unreal empiricism.

You don't desire that you couldn't come back again and discard every part of that unambiguous matter to read away and bore you tomorrow, but it, none of it at all, got geysered up the analogue-colonic irrigation when the site came back again in perfect working condition. There's no expression which doesn't sound polite but is too.