Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:12:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

THE NORTH or THE SOUTH?

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, February 18, 2010, 08:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

The 'wealth' thing is relative though. You can earn a shitload of money living in London and still be living in a poky little bedsit and paying three quid for a pint and a tenner for a curry on the rare occasions you can afford to go out, whereas somewhere like Newcastle you can get a place that's decent sized, and have money left over to enjoy relatively cheap dining out and drinking, even if you're not making a lot of money.

Twibbie

The Indices of Deprivation aren't a direct income comparison, though; they are more of a measurement of access to and provision of amenities for good living standards, of which income forms a part.

Like I said before, in the strictest terms the deprivation divide seems to be more rural/urban. The large number and concentration of urban areas in the north emphasise a regional difference, but London, Bristol, Plymouth, Margate/Ramsgate and other southern towns and cities face similar situations. Rural areas north and south are usually less deprived, although there seem to be certain exceptions like Cornwall.