Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:11:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gordon Brown, temper like...

Started by biggytitbo, February 21, 2010, 12:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

...errr I couldn't think of a rhyme, but some wags have been calling Gordon Brown the 'Prime Mentalist' for a while due to persistent rumours about his temper tantrums. Seems they may have had a point:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/feb/21/gordon-brown-abusive-treatment-staff

QuoteGordon Brown's abusive behaviour and volcanic eruptions of foul temper left Downing Street staff so frightened that he received an unprecedented reprimand from the head of the civil service, an explosive new book by the Observer's  Andrew Rawnsley reveals today.
QuoteRawnsley's book also reveals that after the debacle of the cancelled election in 2007 an increasingly unpopular Brown became more and more paranoid. When briefed that November about the loss of confidential data discs, containing the personal details of more than 20 million people, he leapt across the room and grabbed Gavin Kelly, his deputy chief of staff, by the lapels of his jacket. Brown snarled into Kelly's face: "They're out to get me!"
QuoteAccording to Rawnsley, O'Donnell was so disturbed by the effect on those in Downing Street that he took it upon himself to try "to calm down frightened duty clerks, badly treated phone operators and other bruised staff by telling them, 'Don't take it personally'".
QuoteRawnsley also recounts how an angrily impatient Brown became so furious with a No 10 typist that he turfed her out of her seat and took over the keyboard.
Leaving aside policy, is he fit to be prime minister with behaviour like this? I don't think its a problem if he has slanging matches with the likes of Tony Blair, but bullying secretaries and phone operators isn't on is it?

_Hypnotoad_

The man's an unelectable nutjob

Labour might just be electable right now if they'd not behaved like total pussies when he initially looked to bully his way into the job, and subsequently when it was obvious he was making them even more unelectable

He should be managing paper clips in a town hall somewhere

Can he not sue Rawnsley if these claims are untrue and need dealing with?

George Oscar Bluth II

This is what the Observer are launching their new improved (smaller, with less sections) edition with? A load of revelations that were already printed in the Mail? About a month ago?

In answer to your question Biggy, I reckon it's irrelevant. I don't have to work with him so I don't care if he's an abusive wanker to his staff, it's all about policy and wether he's any good at his job.

Which clearly he isn't.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteLabour might just be electable right now if they'd not behaved like total pussies when he initially looked to bully his way into the job

That implies the majority of Labour MPs didn't want him as Prime Minister whereas the reality is they wanted Blair out more than anything else and knew full well what the alternative was. They were complicit to the extent that they didn't even put up a rival candidate. None of them complained whatsoever during the Brown bounce where he was temporarily so popular it looked like he'd call an early election to defeat Cameron (and probably still should have).

Friendly_Milk

My old prof knew Brown from his Masters days at Embra Uni.  A complete cunt apparently - patronising, smug, unlikeable.  He knew he'd go far in politics.   Shame because Tony and Mrs Brown seem so personable.    Sorry to mention TTOI but the whole "wheel the missus out - she seems like a human being" remark has got to be a direct dig at Brown-O.   And then there are "the Tom rumours".

Severe stress x consistent history of depression + (possible use of MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors) = temper temper.

But hardly surprising - I'm sure a lot of them are twats.  I don't think it should be the sole grounds for him losing his job.  There are more pressing and obvious ways to have a pop at Brown.  As GOB  says - this was all in the Mail a while back.   Nor to I think having a temper and/or suffering depression is 'mental', personally.   I bet Mandy loses his rag all the time.   

They are mentioning that book an awful lot in that article.  Is there a 2 for 1 offer or something?

biggytitbo

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on February 21, 2010, 12:53:57 PM
The man's an unelectable nutjob

Labour might just be electable right now if they'd not behaved like total pussies when he initially looked to bully his way into the job, and subsequently when it was obvious he was making them even more unelectable

He should be managing paper clips in a town hall somewhere

Can he not sue Rawnsley if these claims are untrue and need dealing with?
Number 10 are issuing strong denials about things nobody alleges. "Gordon never punched anyone"...except nobody ever said he did. If it was just Rawnsley saying any of this then maybe you could dismiss it, but its not.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Friendly_Milk on February 21, 2010, 01:04:34 PM
My old prof knew Brown from his Masters days at Embra Uni.  A complete cunt apparently - patronising, smug, unlikeable.  He knew he'd go far in politics.   Shame because Tony and Mrs Brown seem so personable.    Sorry to mention TTOI but the whole "wheel the missus out - she seems like a human being" remark has got to be a direct dig at Brown-O.   And then there are "the Tom rumours".

Severe stress x consistent history of depression + (possible use of MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors) = temper temper.

But hardly surprising - I'm sure a lot of them are twats.  I don't think it should be the sole grounds for him losing his job.  There are more pressing and obvious ways to have a pop at Brown.  As GOB  says - this was all in the Mail a while back.   Nor to I think having a temper and/or suffering depression is 'mental', personally.   I bet Mandy loses his rag all the time.   

They are mentioning that book an awful lot in that article.  Is there a 2 for 1 offer or something?

I'd be very surprised if other Prime Ministers haven't had temper tantrums with colleagues before, but I can't imagine any of them bullied ordinary members of staff.

_Hypnotoad_

Standing around in ill-fitting underwear calling his colleagues cunts in a hotel room because Obama wouldn't meet him is probably lying on Iannucci's cutting room floor as being too predictably TTOI for them to use.

Still Not George

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on February 21, 2010, 12:53:57 PMCan he not sue Rawnsley if these claims are untrue and need dealing with?
Bad politics to sue someone while you're PM. He'll wait until after the election and THEN sue.

_Hypnotoad_

QuoteMandelson denies Brown 'bullying' claims

When the man who would say anything to anyone about anything to further his career comes out in your defence, you must surely start thinking the game is up.

biggytitbo

An important rule in life is to simply believe the opposite of anything Peter Mandleson says.

So its definitely true.

Saucer51

I grew up living next door to a pillar of society who had a great profession, loving family and a docile, ineffectual manner that meant people walked all over him. The fact that he would descend into screaming fits of rage with his relatives over utter trivia made me wonder if he was making them pay for the fact that he wouldn't dare assert himself to people of his own size. So when I read of Gordon Brown's alleged rants, I think it could be possible that he has temper issues with minions because he doesn't appear to have the courage to stand up to the anti-Brown element in his own party or Paxman.
Naturally I don't know him at all and it's so easy to jump to conclusions. Haven't we all been shocked to discover someone who we knew as soft and malleable turned out to have a demonic temper behind closed doors.

I too am reminded of TTOI - has the Malcolm Tucker/Alistair Campbell school of thought been a red herring? It was Gordon "raised by Scotch wolves" Brown all along...

Quote, he leapt across the room and grabbed Gavin Kelly, his deputy chief of staff, by the lapels of his jacket. Brown snarled into Kelly's face: "They're out to get me!"

Really? Sounds like something from the memoirs of OJ Simpson.

Saucer51

I've just read that Mandy allegedly described Brown not as a bully or moody but "emotional" and "demanding".

Ah, the beauty of words.

Friendly_Milk

Quote from: Saucer51 on February 21, 2010, 01:36:23 PM
I've just read that Mandy allegedly described Brown not as a bully or moody but "emotional" and "demanding".

Ah, the beauty of words.

I reckon they shagged.   

Oh Gawd.  What a horrific image!

Artemis

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Friendly_Milk on February 21, 2010, 01:04:34 PM
Shame because Tony and Mrs Brown seem so personable. 

Which Tony's this then?

Cerys

Nah, Gordon would never shag Mandy.  He's already taken.

Welshy

I should imagine these revelations will see a resurgence in Brown's popularity, like when Prescott swung at the egg throwing farmer a few years. Some political observers suggested that Labour were re-elected on the strength of that childlike and effeminate jab. The public have always like a puncher. In a way, I suppose it's comforting to see that politicians are just as prone to bouts of extreme violence as any other ordinary man on the street.

It's when they start fiddling expenses and having sex with eachother, that's where the line in the sand is drawn...

Jemble Fred

I can't even picture Brown physically threatening anyone and being intimidating. It would be like Bagpuss mauling Emily.

Friendly_Milk

Quote from: Jemble Fred on February 21, 2010, 02:37:20 PM
I can't even picture Brown physically threatening anyone and being intimidating. It would be like Bagpuss mauling Emily.

He has that dicky eye.  Like the detective from Willy Fogg.  The Romans would see that as a bad omen.  A different kind of intimidating. 

I could certainly twat him. I bet he fights like this ...

*does 'spacky' hand movements*

Lfbarfe

Friendly_Milk

Quote from: Lfbarfe on February 21, 2010, 02:45:11 PM
What are these "Tom rumours"?

TTOI Spinners & Losers.  Tom, the prospective PM is rumoured to be on major amounts of anti-depressives hence the "Leader of the Nutters is a Nutter".  It causes part of the plot.

Where is Artemis?  Hehe.

Johnny Yesno

Cuh! That bastard Brown is making children travel half way round the world to get an apology too:

Children shipped to Australia to get Brown apology

It said 'Brown' in the actual paper

biggytitbo

Quote from: Friendly_Milk on February 21, 2010, 02:43:13 PM
He has that dicky eye.  Like the detective from Willy Fogg.  The Romans would see that as a bad omen.
If you only had one eye you'd be tempted to keep a picked onion or one of those small scotch eggs (the type that has mayonaise in rather than an egg (why can't you get small scotch eggs with a full egg in anyway? They could use a hummingbird egg)) in the empty socket wouldn't you? Imagine how handy that would be.

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on February 21, 2010, 12:57:09 PM
In answer to your question Biggy, I reckon it's irrelevant. I don't have to work with him so I don't care if he's an abusive wanker to his staff, it's all about policy and wether he's any good at his job.

A little selfish that. I think it's incredibly important whether or not he's an abusive bully.

What sort of example is it setting when the person running the country is allowed to be abusive to people he works with? Under no circumstances should anyone ever have to deal with someone being rude and aggressive towards them, especially at work.

As someone who's been on the thick end of bullying at work, it's psychologically very damaging, in fact someone I work with who was receiving the same treatment from the same person was driven to the brink of suicide and is a complete wreck at the moment.

This isn't something to simply ignore. There's too much smoke around this cretin for there to be no fires whatsoever. He even almost goes as far as admitting it himself!

Still Not George

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on February 21, 2010, 03:10:58 PMThere's too much smoke around this cretin for there to be no fires whatsoever.
You do realise that anyone who uses that phrase immediately discredits themselves, right?

_Hypnotoad_

Danger Man

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 21, 2010, 12:44:31 PM
...errr I couldn't think of a rhyme,

It's that popular song.....

Gorden Brown, temper like sin
Shouts me down, he has to win
Throughout the night
He likes to fight
Always a frown, with Golden Brown

and so on...

Cerys

Doesn't have the right scansion.  How about 'Gordon Brown, temper like glass / Made of rock but easy to smash'