Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:06:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How do YOU slice your oranges?

Started by An tSaoi, February 22, 2010, 09:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An tSaoi

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Are you one of those people who leaves the orange unpeeled, whips out a knife, and slices it into, er, slices (Fig. 1)? Or are you the type to peel the skin, then separate the natural slices by hand like a real man (Fig. 2)?

The first option leaves you with the skin, which can be an inconvenience if you have to look for a bin. On the plus side, you can fit the skin in your mouth, and hey presto - you have your own pair of comedy teeth. If you're without cutting implements, then the second option is the way to go. The drawback is that it can be a little fiddly, and it's all too easy for the juice get you in the eye. However, you can eat the whole slice which saves you looking for the bin after every mouthful.

Which method do you prefer? Are you a slicer or a fiddler? Or is there some third option I don't know about? Needless to say this is a matter of supreme importance.

Lyndon

The latter. And I'm pretty anal about pith too, so it takes about 22 minutes to eat my orange each night, and I'm glad of it.

boxofslice

I peel the skin off in four sections and go from there.  They're very messy though and leave you with sticky hands.  Orange juice is far easier.

mook

Cut the top and arse end off, place on a board then peel around with a knife taking care not to leave any pith, then segment with a knife over a bowl to catch the juice then chuck the fucking thing away and go and cook a steak. I'm a man not fucking vegetarian for crying out loud.

chocky909

I just eat mine like an apple. Whilst listening to shit europop.

Orange Apple

Serge

What kind of person uses a knife to eat an orange? I've never heard the like. They even come in a.) easy-to-remove peel and b.) segments.

chocky909

Not big oranges. Yes a Satsuma or Tangerine is easy to peel, segment and pop into your gob but a bigger orange like a Jaffa is impossible to peel I find and I have to slice it into six and just chew it out, dribbling stingy orange juice down my chin.

I prefer the juice on it's own. 100% squeezed of course.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I don't even bother with big oranges. The peel always comes off in little pieces and then they always seem to have big seeds and leave a mess. Smaller ones are neat, easy to peel and segment, and of course delicious. Small oranges in my stockings only, thank you.

Edit: what chocky said.

HappyTree

I do what mook does. But I am a vegetarian.

actwithoutwords

My daily orange at 11 o'clock break in work* is a rollercoaster ride of emotions, both for me, and the poor bastards who have to watch, and/or read the newspaper after me. Some days it goes beautifully, peel comes off in one, individual segments fall beautifully and succulently into my mouth. Other days I just can't get arrested. Peel takes 4 or 5 goes at it, eventually resulting in splitting off part of the orange. Without any purchase to finish the job, I now have to inelegantly eat some of the orange out of its skin, as my fingernails sting with citrus rind and juice slowly gathers in a puddle on the one copy of the Irish Times in the office.

This is surely the beauty of oranges though. Is it worth it? Of course it's facking worth it. The small ones are too easily won over. They taste of a victory as insubstantial as it is hollow.

*eat my shit, private sector

JesusAndYourBush

I've developed a quick way to peel those big oranges.  Using my thumbnail I cut a little circle in the orange about the size of a 10p piece then remove the piece.  Then I work my way around the middle of the orange until I've gone all the way round.  I'll have approx 10 little round pieces of removed peel.  The top can then easily be removed in 1 piece, same with the bottom.  This also takes off most of the pith.  Just pull off any extra bits of pith you don't want and you've got a peeled prange.