Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:56:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lets party like it's 1982

Started by boxofslice, February 23, 2010, 09:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxofslice

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8529605.stm

QuoteVenezuelan President Hugo Chavez reiterated his support for Argentina.

"We demand, and I think all of us should do the same, the withdrawal of the submarine platform, and that the English government... give that land back," he said.

QuoteThe UK's defence minister said the government would take whatever steps necessary to protect the Falklands.

So, are we heading for another tear up in the South Atlantic? 

Santa's Boyfriend

Not with Venezuela, no.  But it doesn't surprise me that Chavez wants Britain to give the land back.  It's never actually been Argentina's, but that doesn't necessarily matter.

I personally think a joint soverignty should have been worked out long ago.  If oil hadn't been discovered on there I'd still be arguing for it, but there's clearly no point now oil production has become viable.  There's no question, we WILL go to war to protect it if necessary.  And unless the US is still training CIA agents in Argentina, they may well back us up this time.

Beagle 2

They couldn't though could they, just at the moment? It was an extremely risky, costly and difficult operation in the first place. The British Armed Forces are stretched beyond their capabilities as it is, and in terms of popularity at home a conflict like this is extremely unlikely to raise the support and tub-thumping that it did thirty years ago. It would also be counter-productive in terms of our international reputation, where in the original conflict it arguably (depressingly) boosted it. You can certainly see why Argentina would start making noises at this stage.

biggytitbo

it's relatively easy to go over and spank some Argies though, we all understand a good Argie bashing. All Gordon has to do is pop over their, sink a few boats and he'll win the election easily. Get a move on Gordo!

Blumf

Uncle TechTip

The Navy aren't doing much right now except looking for the odd pirate, so i say bring it on. These guys need regular exercise.

sirhenry

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on February 23, 2010, 09:29:07 AM
I personally think a joint sovereignty should have been worked out long ago.
Never going to happen because owning the Falklands gives us mineral/oil rights over a sizeable chunk of the South Pole. And once they allow drilling BP will be in there like lightning.

rudi

While we're in the vague area couldn't they invade a hotter, nicer place too? Somewhere I might like to visit on holiday? The Falklands are shit; if I want rock and inbreeding I just hop on the hovercraft to the Isle of Wight.

TheWizard

Quote from: sirhenry on February 23, 2010, 01:42:15 PM
Never going to happen because owning the Falklands gives us mineral/oil rights over a sizeable chunk of the South Pole. And once they allow drilling BP will be in there like lightning.

Good post on this here

http://linksandanchors.wordpress.com/2007/11/07/antartica-dividing-up-the-spoils/

Fry

biggytitbo

In 1982, I got my foot stuck in a drain at school, and it got a bit infected and I had to go to school wearing a slipper and the other children called me 'old man'.

Please don't make it 1982 again.

rudi

_Hypnotoad_

Has anyone asked what the residents want?

CaledonianGonzo

Some nice fresh grass and a good, hard shearing every springtime.

Blumf

switchbitch

Oh fucking hell and here was I about to dig out my leg warmers and deely boppers. Still, at least I a'm too old to be "called up" now, which is what my mother threatened me with last time around.

Shaun

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on February 23, 2010, 08:09:18 PM
I think the penguins should have a say too. I wouldn't trust the Argies if I were a penguin.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 23, 2010, 06:36:58 PM
In 1982, I got my foot stuck in a drain at school, and it got a bit infected and I had to go to school wearing a slipper and the other children called me 'old man'.

Please don't make it 1982 again.

Villa won the European Cup in 1982.  Bring it on!

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: rudi on February 23, 2010, 04:28:27 PM
While we're in the vague area couldn't they invade a hotter, nicer place too? Somewhere I might like to visit on holiday? The Falklands are shit; if I want rock and inbreeding I just hop on the hovercraft to the Isle of Wight.

Is Bermuda not good enough for you?

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on February 23, 2010, 08:09:18 PM

From what I've seen they're characatures of British people, much like old colonial families living in Africa etc.  Saluting the flag, toasting the Queen etc.  They wouldn't accept Argentinian rule, which has always been the (publicly presented) argument for keeping the Falklands.

MojoJojo

Yeah, didn't Argentina offer all the residents money to reject their uk citizenship? Or did I dream that as well.

sirhenry

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 24, 2010, 10:19:24 AM
Yeah, didn't Argentina offer all the residents money to reject their uk citizenship? Or did I dream that as well.
Not sure about that, but we did offer (and finally give) them the right to vote if they stayed with us.

Uncle TechTip

Who is MP for the Falkland Islands?

Blumf