Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:22:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Septum Piercings

Started by vrailaine, February 23, 2010, 10:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vrailaine

If you got one, and looked in the mirror while focusing on it your face would feel more symmetrical cos of the mind doing tricks and shit*, it doesn't do it for me but it makes sense.

*I had no idea how I could phrase this any better, my English sucks, clearly.

Quote from: rudi on February 24, 2010, 02:03:04 AM
Maybe they like it. Maybe you don't. That's very easy to work around unless you're reactionary.

Has a piercing ever harmed you in any way? Has it influenced you or reacted upon you negatively in some manner?

If not, has it ever occurred that it might not be any of your damn business, what some kid does with their own body? After all, isn't the casting of aspersion over kids' bodies an attribute of tyrants, reactionaries, fascists and bullies throughout history?

Just asking, natch...
Christ man, what's wrong with wondering what the logic behind it is? You can start a thread about how I like to have reasons for things if you want. I can't really work around it unfortunately.
Didn't mean to make any offensive remarks or anything either, I'm sure anyone who gets things like that fully expects a percentage of people to not like them in fairness.

rudi

Oh you've every right to start the thread, just as I have the right to vigorously disagree. Personally I don't get lip-piercing (all that sucking!) but I'm happy to be questioned on it should my bafflement approach decrying and brick-batting.

rudi

(ed) Just noticed Ant's replies. You kind of answer my replies with your own, petal.

My favourite is this justification:

QuoteI'm not judging the people who wear nose-rings, I just don't understand the aesthetic attraction.

Well that's a judgement, isn't it? Especially when posted on a public forum. "I don't get it" is only benign when kept to ones'self, after all...

dr_christian_troy

I get annoyed when women wear jeans with belt loops but no belt. Just seems a waste.

Bye

samadriel

Quote from: vrailaine on February 23, 2010, 10:30:07 PM
Are those the ones that go on above the upper lip?
That's a Monroe piercing.  Cheek piercings go straight through the cheek.  I think they look nice (though I've only seen them on the internet, even my friends with faces like cutlery drawers haven't dared get one), but they distract me with the sheer agony I imagine they must cause when applied.

vrailaine

Decrying? Ohhh, well that's clearly just my crap phrasing of things again. I couldn't care less about them once I know why... I become too interested in attempting to adopt the reasoning in my head, quite a lot of times this has led to me liking things oddly enough.
I've no idea if anything I'm saying is making sense to be honest, I like reasons, don't just tell me I'm to not be puzzled by something if I don't understand it, that gives more reason to be bothered by it than anything.

I think I've got a valid one now anyays so all should be well.

Guys can have these yokes too, they tend to be less common and a hell of a lot bigger though.

Quote from: samadriel on February 24, 2010, 02:37:13 AM
That's a Monroe piercing.  Cheek piercings go straight through the cheek.  I think they look nice (though I've only seen them on the internet, even my friends with faces like cutlery drawers haven't dared get one), but they distract me with the sheer agony I imagine they must cause when applied.
I imagine the little steel bit on the inside clattering with the teeth then losing it's cap and ripping the gums apart, which is ludicrous but anyways.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: rudi on February 24, 2010, 02:29:00 AM
Well that's a judgement, isn't it? Especially when posted on a public forum. "I don't get it" is only benign when kept to ones'self, after all...

What's wrong with judging people? I can see the problem when it's based on someone's race or sexual orientation...but if you were to literally never judge anyone you'd have to be friends with absolutely everyone!

I think septum piercings are fugly, but if people wanna look fugly, I'm not gonna stop em. I don't see what harm expressing an opinion does - if people are hurt by it, they've got no right to have the damn things in the first place.

purlieu

Quote from: An tSaoi on February 24, 2010, 01:41:07 AMI appreciate it's difficult to justify the inherently subjective, but could you give me some clue what's so good about them?
I think it's a lot more subjective than your corset/heels analogy.  They regularly suggest a certain aesthetic, which is one of piercings in general, perhaps.  I'm not a huge fan of the septum piercing - my girlfriend had hers pierced years before I met her and wears a ring in it sometimes, and I don't think it suits her at all - but I can see the appeal, the same way I can see the appeal in other piercings, tattoos, crazy haircuts and so on.  I can't pinpoint what it is, but I suppose the difference between us is I am an "alternative" youngster with many friends who have tattoos and piercings, and thus fit into a niche where it's expected/respected, whereas you fit into the standard CaB "cuh, kids these days" frame.
Skinny jeans eh?  People doing unconventional things with their hair?  Putting METAL IN THEIR FACES??  GOOD GOD MAN what is happening to this country? etc.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteSkinny jeans eh?  People doing unconventional things with their hair?  Putting METAL IN THEIR FACES??  GOOD GOD MAN what is happening to this country? etc.

Exactly!

It's the etc I'm worried about the most.

jimmy jazz

Quote from: An tSaoi on February 24, 2010, 01:47:29 AM
... it doesn't bother me, all it does it make me think 'Why?'

Now, the next time I need to describe how your posts make me feel, I have a perfect line. Cheers.

Aren't you about 20? Do you really have that little understanding of popular culture?

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: jimmy jazz on February 24, 2010, 11:52:27 AMAren't you about 20? Do you really have that little understanding of popular culture?

The Widow of Brid

Is there actually a good reason why so many people are being a cunt in this thread. Or is the fact that the liking or disliking of piercings is a topic sensitive to the point of insanity something that was already known to everyone except me?

Neville Chamberlain

They do look absolutely rubbish though, to be fair.

Bye!

And that's my opinion!!!

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: The Widow of Brid on February 24, 2010, 01:51:28 PM
Is there actually a good reason why so many people are being a cunt in this thread. Or is the fact that the liking or disliking of piercings is a topic sensitive to the point of insanity something that was already known to everyone except me?

It's just more evident here as it's such a meaningless matter to bitch over.

purlieu

Everyone's cycles have synchronised, that's all, so we're having the monthly bitch.  See also: PATRIOT thread.

jimmy jazz

I'll just have a go at Ant over anything, teebeeaich.

Bingo Fury

Since this thread is hotting up, I'll air one of my maxims, which is that "no one ever improved their appearance by sticking bits of metal into their face". And from my experience at least, it's true. In every case I've seen, piercings detract from a person's natural attractiveness rather than enhance it.

I don't know precisely where An Tsaoi's incomprehension of the lure of facial piercing comes from, but in my case I'm pretty sure it's because I grew up feeling highly unattractive and undesirable, and although I've managed to convince myself over the years that I'm gorgeous and utterly shaggable, I still find it hard to understand why people would do things to their faces that - according to THE MAXIM, remember - detract from their appearance. It's likely there's an underlying jealousy there, of people who are so confident of their sexual pull that they'll not only not bother with their appearance but actively uglify themselves.

On the other hand, my closest work buddy is a lovely girl - in my eyes at least, though she's managed to convince herself she looks like a dog. I sometimes have to bite my tongue so that I don't say something completely fogeyish and point-missing like, "If you're that concerned about your appearance, you could take that chunky bit of metal out your face for starters."

It's my own form of madness ... and the reason I will one day become ... THE MAGUS! (And other such disclaimers)

Neville Chamberlain

I completely agree with that maxim there of yours. I've lost count of the number of times I've been inwardly very disappointed when it turns out a girl I fancy's got a stupid bloody tongue piercing or something like that.

A similar maxim can be applied to Ugg boots.

purlieu

Quote from: Bingo Fury on February 24, 2010, 03:53:08 PMIt's likely there's an underlying jealousy there, of people who are so confident of their sexual pull that they'll not only not bother with their appearance but actively uglify themselves.
You have no need to be jealous.  They're actively un-uglifying themselves.  They're probably just aiming their standards higher.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Everyone disappoints on some level. I'd rather they did it on something utterly inconsequential, like this, rather than pulling back the duvet to find your new girlfriend's back has a giant SS motif on it. Unless the piercings were in gross places like the throat or the sternum (I've seen them done and they look wrong) I would certainly put up with them. Be nice though and don't have more than 3 or 4 on a face- it starts becoming too distracting then.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Quote from: rudi on February 24, 2010, 02:29:00 AM

I wouldn't call that a judgement, and if it is then only in the most literal way. He's curious what people who like piercings like about it, he's hardly calling fire and brimstone to rain upon the Pierced Ones.

my mother told me never to get involved

QuoteEveryone disappoints on some level. I'd rather they did it on something utterly inconsequential, like this, rather than pulling back the duvet to find your new girlfriend's back has a giant SS motif on it.

I'd be terrified too if I found out my significant other was a Shoulders fan.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: Bingo Fury on February 24, 2010, 03:53:08 PM
It's likely there's an underlying jealousy there, of people who are so confident of their sexual pull that they'll not only not bother with their appearance but actively uglify themselves.

I don't think it's a sexual thing at all, it's a tribal thing for some people (like many of my friends) and a fashion statement for others. And for yet others it's just something they did because their friends did it.

purlieu

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 24, 2010, 04:21:57 PM
I'd rather they did it on something utterly inconsequential, like this, rather than pulling back the duvet to find your new girlfriend's back has a giant S?S! motif on it.

edit: damnit Kishi!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI'd be terrified too if I found out my significant other was a Shoulders fan

:0)

Terrified, but not surprised.

oh look purlieu has made the same joke

jimmy jazz

A few of my mates have septum piercings and they can look lovely at times. Another one is the superior fraenum. I remember my friend Jenn having one and it just about peeked through when she smiled and looked lovely, gave a strange feeling of smugness when you saw it. Like when you made someone with braces laugh when you were a teenager and they didn't cover their mouth.

Bingo Fury

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on February 24, 2010, 04:25:22 PM
I don't think it's a sexual thing at all, it's a tribal thing for some people (like many of my friends) and a fashion statement for others. And for yet others it's just something they did because their friends did it.

I know, I was just trying to verbalise my own reaction to facial piercings in relation to my own specific background and experiences. Never having been a "joiner", the tribalist thing doesn't resonate with me, whereas making oneself attractive to potential mates is something that's a matter of life and death something that I've probably attributed far too much importance to in the scheme of things.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: An tSaoi on February 24, 2010, 01:47:29 AMit doesn't bother me, all it does it make me think 'Why?'

It's more a question of "why not?" for most people.  If anything I think people should be more extreme with their appearances (was it someone on here who once expressed a yen to have extra arms grafted onto his side like a pasty Vishnu?), dye, metal, ink, yes but how about a tail, full body armour, feathers grafted onto your forehead, scales, an extra tit?  You'd look pretty silly trying to tut at some poor teenager with a nosering on the tube when the guy five seats down has a dirty great TREE growing out of his ear.

I'm sure you get my drift.  Now back to reality:

Quote from: purlieu on February 24, 2010, 11:17:12 AMmy girlfriend had hers pierced years before I met her and wears a ring in it sometimes

How has she managed to keep the hole open in between times (sorry)?  Has it been stretched a bit or don't they close up in certain areas?  I always thought the facial ones closed up almost instantly?

purlieu

tell that person that it does suit me :P and the skin in your septum is surprisingly thin and most people find that it's really easy to repierce their septum or that it never closed up in the first place. it's cartiledge piercings which are difficult to re-pierce

vrailaine

The "why not?" argument does nothing for me, never does in any circumstance. There has to be some sort of logic behind it further than that, it may have absolutely nothing to do with whatever action is under debate and more to do with their personality, but it's there.

Quote from: purlieu on February 24, 2010, 05:32:43 PM
tell that person that it does suit me :P and the skin in your septum is surprisingly thin and most people find that it's really easy to repierce their septum or that it never closed up in the first place. it's cartiledge piercings which are difficult to re-pierce
Hmm, that kinda explains it too, if it's super easy to pierce, then people who like piercings will be inclined to have it pierced at some point surely. Thanks!

Pretty unhappy with this thread anyways. Have no idea how I managed to bother people so much with such a silly thing... even if most you seemed to misdirect it all at Mac An tSaoi.