Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:42:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What would you cut?

Started by Backstage With Slowdive, February 23, 2010, 11:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It begs the question - what would you cut to get Britain's debts under control?

BBC3
5 (26.3%)
The entire Welfare State
0 (0%)
Mickey Mouse Degrees
2 (10.5%)
Sheffield
0 (0%)
Trident, but keep the boats and don't tell anyone
6 (31.6%)
Your little pecker off
0 (0%)
Leicester de Montfort University
1 (5.3%)
Banker's throats
1 (5.3%)
Chemotherapy
1 (5.3%)
NHS homeopathy budget
2 (10.5%)
16 - 25 year olds
0 (0%)
This may smell bad, kid, but it'll keep you warm until I get the shelter up... Ugh. And I thought they smelled bad on the *outside*.
1 (5.3%)
Political Correctness
0 (0%)
My trousers off in the middle of the street
0 (0%)
Caesar Romeros moustache off
0 (0%)
Hospitals
0 (0%)
Pavements
0 (0%)
Shit for cunts
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

biggytitbo

Quote from: wherearethespoons on February 24, 2010, 12:52:22 PM
Why hasn't anybody pointed out that Jemble accidentally missed out an L up there? And wrote 'pubic funding'? Like, you know, genital hair funding? I mean, come on now.
Someone called Norman Tebbit Norma Tebbit the other day and it never even raised an eyebrow.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quoteand whilst the underlying reason for that is the banking system and globalisation, we can't absolve ourselves of our own responsibility either.

No-one's saying we should. But in terms of sheer numbers, that 850+ billion could've gone a long way. I despise what we are going to have to pay as a result, and where that is going to leave our country. It's almost like the banks did it deliberately to knock the last remnants of left-wingery out of every single developed economy.

_Hypnotoad_

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 24, 2010, 12:51:13 PM
I work in social work, and I'd certainly cut the amount that is spent on pointless management positions. There are so many people on large wages doing nothing but having meetings to discuss things they can do to justify their own jobs, and then writing reports about it that nobody reads.

Social work is in a mess because so much money goes into it and so much of it is either wasted or used incredibly inefficiantly. It seems to be more about covering your own back by ticking meaningless boxes on forms than anything else these days.

I suppose 'twas ever thus though, and it's the old "cut waste" argument, as if people actively promote waste until anyone says otherwise. I've never known anybody to work in the public sector be anything else but bemused at the amount of cash that's frittered away on nothing. Hard to avoid I suppose.

Pffft, typical private sector employee making ill-informed accusations of waste in the public sector.

Oh, wait.....

MojoJojo

The defense budget could and probably will get some cuts. A lot could be saved on some of the big procurment budgets - EuroFighter (a bit redundant if we're not going to be figthing the Russians) and the pocket carriers (it would be cheaper overall to buy normal carriers and use standard jets instead of developing expense, less capable VTOL aircraft). The carriers will almost certainly be dropped if the tories get in, as they are being built in an constituency which is Labour marginal against the SNP. Of course a lot we're tied into contracts on these so the amount saved wouldn't be a great as it could be.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 24, 2010, 01:00:37 PM
No-one's saying we should. But in terms of sheer numbers, that 850+ billion could've gone a long way. I despise what we are going to have to pay as a result, and where that is going to leave our country. It's almost like the banks did it deliberately to knock the last remnants of left-wingery out of every single developed economy.
All the money the banking system steals from society could be spent improving the country for everyone, but it's not going to happen whilst it has its tentacles wrapped around the levers of power.