Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Woof woof!

Started by Saucer51, February 25, 2010, 11:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on February 26, 2010, 02:06:16 PM
I'm not talking about people who believe, for example "Asians are inferior", or "people must reject their culture and totally adopt a prescribed 'British' way of life". I mean more "immigrants are taking our jobs". I don't think that's a racist point of view - it's not implying a race or culture is inferior to another.

Most BNP supporters are as you describe - my original point was that you can't pigeonhole every single BNP supporter in this way. The fact that most BNP are racists doesn't mean they all are.

Well yes, but that not something all of us aren't aware of. I would say a higher proportion of BNP voters would be xenophobic rather than outright racist. You wouldn't find much in the way of conversation talking about how all these black British people are so fucking lazy and make irresponsible fathers and their kids make trouble on the estate etc etc even to many BNP voters. If those people knew what the ideological core thought about blacks then they'd probably recoil slightly. What they do know is they want rid of the Muslims, even though they're having negligible influence for good or bad on their own lives.

Most people who publically come out with 'immigrants are taking our jobs' have a whole load of nastier shit lying behind that. If 'immigrants are taking our jobs' is supposed to be the ice-breaker for a conversation, watch out!

The anti-immigration stuff is changing anyway- it's evolving to kick the issue of race out of the discussion- into a conversation about population levels and whether the country is 'full'. This nullifies where most of the BNP's policies originate. In this sense it makes the BNP a very good thing, because it prevents the Tories from ever coming out with their true feelings on the issues, as they don't want to be in anyway associated with that. It's amusing to think the The BNP are, in existing, preventing what they want to happen from happening.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 26, 2010, 03:10:39 PM
I would say a higher proportion of BNP voters would be xenophobic rather than outright racist.
Mmm yes...leaving aside debate about where "xenophobia" ends and "racism" begins.

QuoteYou wouldn't find much in the way of conversation talking about how all these black British people are so fucking lazy and make irresponsible fathers and their kids make trouble on the estate etc etc even to many BNP voters. If those people knew what the ideological core thought about blacks then they'd probably recoil slightly. What they do know is they want rid of the Muslims, even though they're having negligible influence for good or bad on their own lives.

Some want to get rid of muslims, some want to get rid of islam or at least its perceived influence on british culture. There is a difference, albeit a subtle one.

QuoteMost people who publically come out with 'immigrants are taking our jobs' have a whole load of nastier shit lying behind that. If 'immigrants are taking our jobs' is supposed to be the ice-breaker for a conversation, watch out!

Many but not all. Has anyone ever used that as an ice-breaker? It's come up in conversation, but I've never heard anyone come out with it from the get go.

QuoteThe anti-immigration stuff is changing anyway- it's evolving to kick the issue of race out of the discussion- into a conversation about population levels and whether the country is 'full'. This nullifies where most of the BNP's policies originate. In this sense it makes the BNP a very good thing, because it prevents the Tories from ever coming out with their true feelings on the issues, as they don't want to be in anyway associated with that. It's amusing to think the The BNP are, in existing, preventing what they want to happen from happening.

This. I hope.

Blue Jam

Quote from: chand on February 26, 2010, 03:01:13 PM
The Belgians have responded with this: http://www.idontwanttoberude.com/ (NWS for big swearing)

I guess those insults lose something in translation too. If you're going to insult someone at least get it right...

Quote from: Friendly_Milk on February 26, 2010, 12:22:42 PMI fancy Hans Landa but comfort myself that he isn't actually real.  I only fancy fake nasties - more the charismatic interesting actors who play them.

It's a common enough fetish... and one I have too, as we have already established. And yes, schoolgirl crushes are alright because famous people aren't real, and Crouch End is a mythical celebrity zoo which doesn't actually exist.

My entire taste in men feels a bit wrong, but the wrongest is probably Julian Barrett. Wrong because he's in the Mighty fucking Boosh. I try and think of him as Ashcrooooooooft! but then I remember he's also Howard Moon and I begin to hate myself.

I hope enough people here have seen People Like Us to realise my tag wasn't meant to be offensive

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteMany but not all. Has anyone ever used that as an ice-breaker? It's come up in conversation, but I've never heard anyone come out with it from the get go

I suppose what I mean is- in social circles most people tend to come out with a milder approximation of their opinion about an issue first. 'They take our jobs' is the immigration version of that, usually extended on by a second-hand anecdote about how Dave the plumber down the road is getting squeezed by these Polish lads who have the gumption to turn up on time, do the job properly, market themselves better, and undercut Dave's prices.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Yeah, but I would argue that saying "they took our jobs" in itself is ignorant and lazy rather than racist, though as you point out it is often a lead-in to something nastier.