Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:51:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Last tune you played 5 times in a row

Started by Rocket Surgery, December 30, 2017, 07:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Can't get past the edit of Kiss Of Life that opens this mix

Jim_MacLaine

Me and Mrs Jones MacLaine had a bit of wine tonight.

Ended up dancing around the kitchen to this...

A few times.

Look at those teens enjoying themselves shaking up 'the system'!

Guitarist is of course dead now. Pass the crisps.

Tarquin

Yes
Starship Trooper:
a. "Life Seeker"
b. "Disillusion"
c. "Würm"

New listener to The Yes. I expected wacky time signature changes which I got in spades. The Yes album is great though. Starship Trooper especially part "B" onwards. Been going back as Mr. Yes are just playing 4/4, building on the riff and damn it's so lovely.

All great but from 5:30 4/4 Yes

Ferris

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on February 21, 2024, 11:22:03 PMCan't get past the edit of Kiss Of Life that opens this mix

I must have listened to this at least once a month for the last 30 years - sublime

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 26, 2024, 12:09:46 PMI must have listened to this at least once a month for the last 30 years - sublime

oh that is grand

SpiderChrist

Dirty Boy

ElTwopo

This has recently become one of my favourite songs of all time:

Fucking brilliant.

Cuntbeaks

Dusseldorf - La Dusseldorf

Really not sure how this album has escaped my attentions all these years. It could easily be another NEU! album tbf.

Anyway, today alone I've listened to the album 3 times and the title track on its own another 4 or 5 times.

Calistan

More so, Jokerman than Don't Start Me Talking but the whole performance is exceptional. Bob paired with a group of punk musicians was inspired. The rehearsal is fun too.

The harmonica incident is amazing but the band don't miss a beat.

QuoteI was the person who handed Bob Dylan the harmonica during this performance on David Letterman. My name is Ed and back in the day I worked for one of the biggest rock and roll production managers in the country Michael Ahern who in turn worked for Bill Graham.

At the time Bill Graham was doing production for Bob Dylan. I got a call from Michael saying Dylan was appearing on the David Letterman show the following week ( I think it was a Thursday) and could I take care of his "back line duties"?

"Backline" means setting up the drums, amps, guitars etc. and taking care of whatever technical needs the band might have.

Bob was scheduled to perform two songs on the show that night. On the second song he told me to have a harmonica in a certain key sitting on his Marshall amplifier so he could pick it up and play it towards the end of the song. He used it and everything worked out perfectly.

At that point I figured my job was pretty much over for the night, you know wait for the show to finish pack up the gear and go home.

Then all of a sudden I was told ( by Bob's son ) that Letterman asked Bob to do a third song to close the show and I should have a harmonica ready again. He said it should be in the key of D ( if I remember correctly).

Now Bob's son was still a teenager at this time and I was a little wary of the messenger so I took it upon myself to go backstage to the dressing room to ask Bob personally.

When I got there he was really busy speaking with friends and industry types and I said something to the effect of "hey Bob your son said you need a harmonica in the key of D for the last song."

Bob turns to me and says " ah yea that's right.". So I figure great end of story , but no - not end of story because Bob mistakenly ( because he was busy with his guests) told me "ah yea sure."

So I set up everything the way I was told and the third song started. Halfway through the song Bob takes off his guitar hands it to me picks up the harmonica starts blowing immediately stops looks left to me and says "what the x it's the wrong key ". I say "what key do you need?". He says "G".

I think to myself oh shit that harmonica is on the other side of the drums, so I go running (on camera) behind the drummer to fetch the right one. It took about twenty seconds but seemed like a x lifetime!

After the song was over I turned to Bob and said "what happened what happened?" He said "I got mixed up."

All of a sudden Bob's manager Mick Brigdon was all over me saying "what the hell just happened?" I said Bob asked for the wrong harp.". He said " don't you move, wait right here." He came back two minutes later and said "never mind ".

I started to pack up the gear thinking shit these guys are never going hire me again! A month later I got a call asking me if I would go on the upcoming European Tour as his guitar tech.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A friend infected me with this the other day. I wound up getting stoned and listening to it more than five times in a row, giggling like a pillock.

(warning: Contains a rude word)

buttgammon

I've recently found a seam of recent hip-hop that's reinvigorated my interest in the genre after a long time of lapsing into quite conservative 'classic' tastes (ATCQ, Brand Nubian, Digable Planets, Mos Def, some Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep). It's been really fun to explore all this great stuff that's entirely new to me, but this is best track I've encountered of all so far.

dontpaintyourteeth

buttgammon

Another one from my recent hip hop explorations. I'm fascinated with how low the drums are in the mix; with Sadhugold's production in general in fact.

Kankurette

Not five times exactly, but I found this on Spotify while looking for Yuki Kaijura's Odd World from the Madoka soundtrack. Dunno if anyone likes Final Fantasy but Molly Marlette is Selphie's actress in FF8.

Ferris

This is getting extra heat lately because Caroline Polachek covered it, but the original is well worth 5 plays in a row (executive producer...ehh, Bono):

madhair60

Mobius

Minami Minegishi

Someone posted this in another thread. I have become a little obsessed with it because it is a really pleasing, dancey pop song, with some odd, fractured beats. But it has also what I consider to be some of the worst rap lyrics in history, and a cursory glance at a live version shows that the woman is the only talented person in this group.

BANGER.