Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:35:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

do you get excited about new suits/skins/costumes in games?

Started by Mobius, February 07, 2024, 11:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

i dont really understand it everyone is getting excited because spiderman is going to have some new clothes released but its just the same game? nothing is different? except your character is wearing trousers for example. why is that good?

Noodle Lizard

Charging for them will never make sense to me, especially in a single player game.

oggyraiding

I did enjoy unlocking new costumes in Spider-Man 2, but many were terrible, and the colour variations of each were lazy (for example, not changing the colour of the character's web wings to reflect the colours of the costume). New costumes aren't enough for me to want to jump back into the game to check them out.

madhair60

Quote from: Mobius on February 07, 2024, 11:24:45 PMi dont really understand it everyone is getting excited because spiderman is going to have some new clothes released but its just the same game? nothing is different? except your character is wearing trousers for example. why is that good?

because people who are fans of the character throughout the years can use their favourite suit/costumes from different stories/eras/mediums in which the character has appeared

Jerzy Bondov

no, i never get excited about anything, because i'm a cool guy

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 08, 2024, 10:04:10 AMno, i never get excited about anything, because i'm a cool guy

Just wanted to say that I also am like this, but I was like it before it was cool

Magnum Valentino

Aye probably if it was free and well rendered and changed the way game felt like the 'animated' Spider-Man costumes did in the first game and the Miles Morales one. Not the dropped-frame 'Spider-Verse' ones, but the cel-shaded ones.

Capcom's bonus costumes have always been reliably shit in the Resident Evil games.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They're alright as long as they're free, or get unlocked on game completion for an additional play through. I'm playing through the Mass Effect Legendary Edition currently though, and some of the alternate outfits for your squad members are crap. The clothes will be alright, but then they give them some stupid visor or glasses that makes them look like an absolute arsehole.

madhair60

Kelvin

Beagle 2

No, but I've been playing so much Rocket League lately that at the age of 42 I am really yearning after a cool goal explosion. I'm better than all these shids who have cool goal explosions and I want one. Seems to be about £20 to get a cool goal explosion though and I already paid for the damn game before it went free to play. Not arsed about DECALS or RARE KU KLUX CLAN HAT or any of that shit, already got my North Korean flag for a cosmetic flex, just want a cool goal explosion. 

El Unicornio, mang

The ones in Spider-Man are cool and I have a few favourites but also it's just more stuff in life for me to have to choose from, I'll stop the game regularly to change costumes and it looks nice but it's probably causing more hassle and indecision anxiety than enjoyment. I'd probably prefer if they just gave me the one costume so I don't have to think about it.

Pink Gregory

...will the MGS3 remake have DLC camo?  Oh christ of course it will.

Schlippy

They're fine if they're free or unlocked by gameplay, paid for costumes that come with bonuses are bollox tho.

I like Rocket League's paid DLC model, it's all just cosmetics, no bonuses at all but you can support the devs by pootling about the A-Team's van or whatever. Think that's a really good system.

The TF2 hats / Counterstrike skins and the batshit reselling thereof is predatory gouging at it's absolute worst. Making paid-for random lootbox DLC transferrable is one of the most poisonous skinner box mechanics out there.

falafel

Quote from: madhair60 on February 08, 2024, 10:00:48 AMbecause people who are fans of the character throughout the years can use their favourite suit/costumes from different stories/eras/mediums in which the character has appeared

because great storytelling is about collecting things and being accurate about timelines

madhair60

Quote from: falafel on February 08, 2024, 03:51:52 PMbecause great storytelling is about collecting things and being accurate about timelines

what ?

falafel

Just me being a wilful dick about comic book culture, not disagreeing with you or slighting you intentionally. I think the "wearing cosmetically different clothes in a game to embody a particular version of the character" thing is perfectly fine but really struggle to relate to it. And I think it's from the same part of the brain that does give people pleasure from collecting figurines or drawing maps of a given fantasy world or having a heated discussion about canon this and retcon that. It's fine, it's just so far removed from how I see and interpret media that my kneejerk response is to be cunty and elitist about it.

The only time I will change clothes in a game is if it changes what I can actually do, or lets me see a nice pert bottom. I did used to spend a lot of time going in and out of streams in Uncharted back in the day and would probably have paid for a permanently wet Nathan Drake costume but in my defense I was in my early twenties.

madhair60

i did fight my way to the peter griffin skin in fortnite

Pink Gregory

I bought the Dynasty Warriors 5 costumes pack for Dynasty Warriors 7 because that's the entry where they finally decided to change things up ever so slightly but that was largely 'make everyone anime' (also more accurate pronunciation of chinese names, which was surprising).

Quite a good package really because all the guys are there, and they fit seamlessly into the in-engine cutscenes.

Mister Six

I like dressing up characters in games sometimes, or using alternate skins. I have no idea why anyone would pay for them, though.

Well, maybe for bragging rights in something like Fortnite, but other than that? No.

Quote from: madhair60 on February 08, 2024, 05:11:03 PMi did fight my way to the peter griffin skin in fortnite

Surely that makes you a bigger target though? Or is it the usual skinny model but in green trousers and a white shirt?

madhair60

The Mollusk

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 08, 2024, 10:04:10 AMno, i never get excited about anything, because i'm a cool guy

Should have seen yourself opening the thread to type this reply, practically trembling you were, forcibly holding your breath with little bits of spittle coming out your mouth. Excited then weren't you?

Mobius

i didnt realise you can be peter griffin when i made this thread. that would actually be "freaking sweet"

yesterday i made my characters in yakuza wear a bikini in battle so i guess i am a bit of a hypocrite