Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Video game music!

Started by bgmnts, May 25, 2022, 11:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I know nothing about games. I'm cheating, These were both sampled on other things.

(Knifehandchop - Neuromancer)

(Lil B - Flowers Rise)

oggyraiding

Soul Calibur had some pretty epic music.

Wonderful Butternut

Both the 1994 & 2013 versions of Rise of the Triad had some good shit:

Havana Smooth (1994 version, Lee Jackson)

Kiss Off! (2013 version, Andrew Hulshult)

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 had one my favourite boss themes:

(Aside: Having a character called "Spaz" has aged quite badly)

Shantae: Half Genie Hero's final boss theme isn't bad either:

earl_sleek

Frank Klepacki's soundtrack for Command and Conquer has to be one of the one of the best ever. A few favourites:

I loved the soundtrack even on the N64, but the full versions are even better.

Kelvin

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is an odd one, in that half the soundtrack - largely the game's first half - is solid, but unremarkable, whereas the other half is really special, and up there with David Wise's best stuff.

Here's a track from a level set in a Savanna wildfire:

I love how counter-intuitive it is, melodic, driving, not overly hammering the drama of the environment in the way many games would.

In fact that reminded me of another game with a sound track that's half brilliant, half not; Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U. That game also has some incredible tracks, especially for the main regions.

Here's one of my favourites, from an alien jungle filled with huge plants and creatures, a complete banger that builds and builds:

Rich Uncle Skeleton

the soundtrack to Perfect Dark is still a favourite 22 years(!) on and half the reason that game's so bloody good. It's mostly by Grant Kirkhope but Graeme Norgate's music for the first level is a fucking high bar to start! can't tell if the music hasn't aged a bit or if I'm just in denial, but it's still one of the best.

samadriel

Once again,  I link to Kenneth W. Arnold's soundtrack to Ultima IV. 7 minutes long and the best soundtrack of all time.

Brundle-Fly

Christ, I had my next door neighbour banging the wall one evening when I was playing this mission at full volume.

Neomod

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 29, 2022, 04:07:58 PM

Christ, I had my next door neighbour banging the wall one evening when I was playing this mission at full volume.

Which of course puts me in mind of another favourite....

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

80's style synth stuff isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvelous.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I suppose Portal contains the most famous song written for a game, but here area couple of other favourites:

"Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Way! Milky Way"

buzby

Quote from: Neomod on May 29, 2022, 01:16:21 PM
They are too fast - it's being played back on a 60Hz NTSC machine.
This has them played on a PAL 50Hz machine (which is what they were written on)

Dickie_Anders

Literally can't get past the first half of the first level of this game, but absolutely love the music.

beanheadmcginty

I used to load this up and just leave it on the title screen without playing the game.

aunt mildred

Loved the jolly music on this game and on the character select screen they all brought a different instrument to the foreground which BLEW MY MIND.

bgmnts

So obviously Resident Evil's big draw for me is the music, as it is the first thing that creates the ambience and the connection between the music and what is happening on screen is so important.

So it's with this in mind we consider the Resident Evil Dualshock version. An incredible score that epitomises the meaning of dissonance, it is worth a listen for anyone interested in game music. I read that the composer pretended to be deaf or something but regardless, an incredible piece of game history.

For direct comparison:

Resident Evil Intro (Iconic)

Resident Evil Intro (Dualshock)

Resident Evil Basement Theme (Iconic)

Resident Evil Basement Theme (Dualshock)

Best guess is they hired someone who just blagged it in interview stage?

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on May 31, 2022, 05:16:17 PMSo obviously Resident Evil's big draw for me is the music, as it is the first thing that creates the ambience and the connection between the music and what is happening on screen is so important.

So it's with this in mind we consider the Resident Evil Dualshock version. An incredible score that epitomises the meaning of dissonance, it is worth a listen for anyone interested in game music. I read that the composer pretended to be deaf or something but regardless, an incredible piece of game history.

For direct comparison:

Resident Evil Intro (Iconic)

Resident Evil Intro (Dualshock)

Resident Evil Basement Theme (Iconic)

Resident Evil Basement Theme (Dualshock)

Best guess is they hired someone who just blagged it in interview stage?

Dual Shock = Director's Cut?

It is pretty extraordinary. There's an article about it here: https://www.inverse.com/gaming/resident-evil-25-composer-mamoru-samuragochi-impostor

Pink Gregory

Supposedly as well, the basement track used the wrong MIDI sound font so you get those farty trumpets, it's something of a mistake.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Mister Six on May 31, 2022, 06:20:31 PMDual Shock = Director's Cut?

Not exactly. The initial edition Director's Cut (before the Dual Shock compatibility was added and used as a selling point) has the original music, I've got a copy here in front of me. Even the Advanced Mode with the different camera angles and costumes has the original music.

I got really fucking annoyed when that story about the composer being deaf broke a few years ago because the BBC linked to one of the good version's songs in their article then a load of internet twats went after the GOOD soundtrack with their moronic 'lol always thought this music was shit of course the composer is deaf' comments on Youtube videos and forums. Naw youse didn't, you've never once heard it before in your life lads (it was exclusive to the US).

Mind you listening to it now, that Intro theme has a unique quality to it, like a newly unearthed Ennio Morricone soundtrack someone found in A NIGHTMARE.

weaseldust

i don't think i posted enough songs so i came back to post one more

Banger! Never heard that before. I left that playing while I read a different thread and it looked like the people in Better Midlands avatar were grooving along.

Mister Six

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 01, 2022, 07:06:32 AMMind you listening to it now, that Intro theme has a unique quality to it, like a newly unearthed Ennio Morricone soundtrack someone found in A NIGHTMARE.

I like the Batman 1969 BWAM! horn when Rebecca glances at the camera.

Brundle-Fly

It's like a lo-fi version of Goblin providing the soundtrack to a lost George.A.Romero 'Dead' movie.

Magnum Valentino

Can't believe I forgot to post this!

For the last few years, Josh Mancell (composer of the first four Crash Bandicoot soundtracks) has been posting pre-console mixes of the original tracks (as well as unused bits) on this Soundcloud page - https://soundcloud.com/joshmancell/sets/music-for-video-games-crash.

These are the versions that were composed before being mapped to MIDI in order to fit onto CDs for the PS1, so there's certain subtle differences and in general they're much more spacious and complete sounding, well worth a listen not just for the deadly tunes but to see the work in progress.

I might be showing my age here, but this is just insane. 10+ hours of the raddest chiptunes ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Racui9jJI

Just two of many, many, many faves:

Jeroen Tel, Battle Valley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjDyim6V34

Martin Galway, Parallax: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz2t8dAgiAE

By the way, I really don't understand why Martin Galway is apparently now an Uber driver in the US, of all things. He should be a big, bright, shining fucking star!

kidney

I was going through some of my favourite game music and then ended up just listening to the Disco Elysium soundtrack for the hundredth time:

The entire soundtrack is wonderful but I could spend hours listening to these tracks in particular, I can't even describe how they make me feel.

Bonus track because fuck that music makes me feel too much- a song for when you're late on rent and your employer accidentally sends a heavily armed death squad to your door to eradicate you:

Pink Gregory

notable mention from current bae.  Not quite the same as in context, bobbing around outside the massive Talos I station, this quietly fading in among the airless breaths and the sound of your propulsion system.

Same composer as Doom 2016, fact fans

samadriel

QuoteSame composer as Doom 2016, fact fans
Mick's Killer Instinct and Wolfenstein soundtracks were great as well. His take on The Partisan with Tex Perkins for the Wolfenstein: The Old Blood soundtrack was terrific.

Zetetic

Quote from: kidney on July 23, 2022, 01:55:31 AMThe entire soundtrack is wonderful but I could spend hours listening to these tracks in particular, I can't even describe how they make me feel.
I find it really difficult to judge how much I actually like the Disco Elysium soundtrack, how evocative it is in itself, as opposed to how much the game managed to imbue it with emotion. It mostly... gets out of the way, when playing the game?

(And much though I really do love much of Paradise Killer's soundtrack, arguably a problem with it is that it doesn't quite bear as much background repetition as the game demands from it.)