Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reasons why I want to obliterate Guy Garvey

Started by kalowski, March 18, 2024, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

QuoteWe kick off with "Things I've Been Telling Myself For Years", (for instance, "Of course I'll live to 96 and fix the welfare state") a self-deprecating piece of analysis that packs in the influences without ever being derivative. As Garvey puts it, "We referenced The Meters, Beastie Boys, Sly and Family Stone, Jimi Hendrix, Arctics, Queens of the Stone Age, Bolan, Tom Waits, Public Enemy and Alison Moyet and that's just the opening song."

kalowski

Christ, this fucking review
QuoteSon of a sub, Garvey continues to have an unrivalled gift of expression and the laugh-out-loud gems come thick and fast (Alex Turner, please take note) yet are juxtaposed with lots of the customary deep thinking and unabashed emotion. "You'll pull the wings off of anything" (The Picture). In "Poker Face" he nails the hideousness of the late teens ("Back then, everyone had a gob on them"). Then we're straight into "The Knife Fight", almost without a break. This is phenomenal stuff – whisking us to Istanbul, talking of a couple who "communicate disastrously" and squeezing in a reference to the Chandrasekhar Limit "for the amateur astrophysicists," Garvey has helpfully explained. Equally exceptional is Good Blood Mexico City – a rabble-rousing powerhouse of a song, which is going to kick off when they play live.

Kankurette

I don't mind Elbow but I do not think they sound like any of those bands. I mean, Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys? Is Guy rapping now?

dontpaintyourteeth

Goldentony

QuoteThis is phenomenal stuff

tiny little nod, narrowing of the eyes as you look Andrew Neil face on and say this

Goldentony

I mean this is PHENOMENAL stuff at play here

iamcoop

His radio show is pure self-indulgent shite and he'll NEVER be Mark Hollis no matter how hard he tries so he should just give up right now. You hear that Guy?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

lazyhour

"In "Poker Face" he nails the hideousness of the late teens ("Back then, everyone had a gob on them")"

Wow, that fucking NAILS the hideousness of the late teens [citation needed].

dontpaintyourteeth

You know something? Back then, everyone did have a gob on them. He's nailed it there.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: iamcoop on March 18, 2024, 08:16:16 PMHis radio show is pure self-indulgent shite and he'll NEVER be Mark Hollis no matter how hard he tries so he should just give up right now. You hear that Guy?
I remember when they appeared and Q magazine made a Talk Talk comparison, which caught my attention. Unlike the music of Elbow, which I took an instant dislike to. Bad is one thing, but I'll take that over tedious.

kalowski

He was on a documentary about Tom Waits and - for no reason whatsoever - he just repeated the words to Shore Leave. Not even sure he got them all right, either.

AllisonSays

I saw him outside Manchester Piccadilly once. Really enormous head.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 18, 2024, 08:50:44 PMI remember when they appeared and Q magazine made a Talk Talk comparison, which caught my attention. Unlike the music of Elbow, which I took an instant dislike to. Bad is one thing, but I'll take that over tedious.

Literally don't hear any resemblance to any era of Talk Talk either

Video Game Fan 2000

a band called Elbow talking like this makes me imagine a Fast Show sketch about Coldplay

jobotic

What name would be better? Or worse?

Knee
Wrist
Ankle
Shoulder

Video Game Fan 2000

purlieu

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 18, 2024, 09:11:48 PMLiterally don't hear any resemblance to any era of Talk Talk either
They've cited them as an influence and I think they might be on a tribute album? I suppose there's a vaguely "mellow" vibe which is in broadly the same musical ballpark as the odd later Talk Talk song. But yes, it's a pretty ludicrous comparison. I'm always wary of anything compared to Talk Talk, the only time it's worked out well is Bark Psychosis' Hex.

Shaxberd

Has anyone started an Elbow tribute band called Arse yet?

PaulTMA

Do they still get everything playlisted on 6Music, even when these days they've got to be about as musically suitable as The Lighthouse Family

Video Game Fan 2000

member that video where he looked like exactly like Derek

Kankurette

Isn't one of Elbow a transphobe? Not Guy, Craig Potter or whatever his name is.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

A lot of people whose musical opinions I respect say that the first two elbow albums are really really good. Can someone please verify how true this is because I have a lot of music to listen to and can't be arsed wasting time on stuff

ProvanFan

I liked the one he said "babycakes" on. Later sampled by 3 of a Kind.

PaulTMA

A friend of mine years ago told me that his mum said she was watching a band on Glastonbury on the telly and texted to say that a pop star looked like like him.  Turns out she meant the keyboard guy out of Elbow.  "He's about 23 stone", he said in horror

Goldentony

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 18, 2024, 11:11:28 PMCan someone please verify how true this is because I have a lot of music to listen to and can't be arsed wasting time on stuff

what are the chances either one of them is going to be as good as appetite for destruction or reign in blood

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 18, 2024, 11:11:28 PMA lot of people whose musical opinions I respect say that the first two elbow albums are really really good. Can someone please verify how true this is because I have a lot of music to listen to and can't be arsed wasting time on stuff

I bought their first album and this is the only one I remember. I think it's nice:

kalowski

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 18, 2024, 11:11:28 PMA lot of people whose musical opinions I respect say that the first two elbow albums are really really good. Can someone please verify how true this is because I have a lot of music to listen to and can't be arsed wasting time on stuff
I bought first one, Asleep in the Back, after a glowing review in Uncut.
Utter rubbish.