Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:38:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The cult of self-flagellation

Started by shoulders, March 27, 2024, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

Just for clarity, you can run 26 miles any time you like. You don't have to wait for 50,000 people to gather in one place.

Chollis

i can run 26 miles any time i like and it wouldn't even be hard

Buelligan

When a tree runs a marathon in the forest, does it really run a marathon if no one's watching?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 27, 2024, 05:14:31 PMJust for clarity, you can run 26 miles any time you like. You don't have to wait for 50,000 people to gather in one place.

Oh, indeed. I've never run a whole marathon, but I've done two half-marathons, and they were both completely on my own. The only people who know about it are my friends who follow me on Strava, and you reading this, now. Which is fine, obviously.

On the other hand, I've done lots of shorter runs (5k and 10k) with other people and it was a lot more fun. Similarly, two years ago I did the London to Brighton bike ride, and although the distance etc was equivalent to an average Sunday ride for me pre 2019, the feeling of participating in something like that was an amazing feeling.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 27, 2024, 05:14:31 PMJust for clarity, you can run 26 miles any time you like. You don't have to wait for 50,000 people to gather in one place.

Yeah but it's the motivational factor and the stories you tell on the way

Underturd

And whether you're pretending to ride an ostrich, or not.

thenoise

Quote from: Steve Faeces on March 27, 2024, 04:27:58 PMAs a rule I only give to a select number of causes that I actually believe in and have researched rather than what the fundraising activity is. If someone is furiously masterbating all day with a hat on for CND I'll probably still give a quid or two. If they're doing an ultra marathon for Help for Heroes or those charities that exist because the state has failed in its duties to its citizens then nah.

CND only exists because of the failure of the state and its duty to its citizens (and the citizens of other countries, future citizens, etc).

madhair60

i can run 52 miles and only stop to run another 52 miles

shoulders

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 27, 2024, 04:29:20 PMTough mudder is loads of fun I have to say, it's silly but there is a really nice vibe going on where people help each other that are in trouble (the proper competitors are given a headstart so they can "compete").  And it's not all fit twinks there to make you feel fuzzy-tummy shame but lots of people with disabilities and 70+ers doing it because life is too short to sit about moaning about everything and not participate in things you think you might not or even should not attempt.

Yeah ...err ...that's got nothing to do with anything here but in Mudder fashion, here's your medal for taking part.

shiftwork2

There's a long-established tradition of being seen to earn a charitable donation through some endeavour.  This may involve the sponsored person enjoying themselves, getting fit or just learning something.  This has been done in the knowledge that very rich people could do away with the need for it all but that they so far haven't.

This feels like the time I had to point out why buying seasonal veg conferred benefits such as procuring food at lower expense and better quality with fewer food miles.

Ferris

Bathtub of baked beans but it's actually a strong acid.

Imagine the laughs! Especially if it's a celebrity nobody likes. Money rolling in, more wells in Africa than you can shake a stick at!

And you want to shut it down? Absurd.

imitationleather

I had some strong acid once and I thought I was about twenty feet tall and had to lie in a corner for hours.

If a bathtub of baked beans can do that I dunno why I've spent all these years using water!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think it's important not to beat yourself up too much about this sort of thing.

Butchers Blind

I was asked at work last year by senior management if I wanted to shave my hair off for the site charity so they could raise money. Told them I had no intention of getting involved in that and maybe they should look at other ways. They had a raffle.

Buelligan

Just the one?  Prolly not much of an audience.

I am sorry.

idunnosomename

do people still sit in baths full of beans these days? if you so much film a youtube video where someone throws a pie you'll get a load of comments about what a disgusting waste of food that was.

thing is charity is the symptom of a sick society, but I'm afraid you live in a sick society for fucks sake so until it gets better give to charity if you can.

madhair60

I raised money for charity multiple times with my hilarious digital comics, available now at [REDACTED]*

* this wasn't actually redacted , I did it myself as a reference to the sensible lack of self promotion tolerance here. It was a joke; the kind of funny joke you may see in my hit digital comics available [ACTUALLY REDACTED]

Mr Vegetables

I'd be well annoyed if I turned up at my local cult of self flagellation and it was just people doing difficult things for charity

steve98

Captain Beanie here sat in a bath of beans for 100 hours in 1986 (A world-record). He did it in a shop window, but the pic is of him practicing at home in Port Talbot.
I wonder if those who've such a downer on baked-bean-bath fundraising would spew their nastiness to his face? I doubt it... That's Diana on his arm btw (she's a bit wonky-eyed)

steve98

This is my fav bean-bather. (How can folk look at this and not smile?) She's dressed as a hot-dog; and she's doing it for Home-Start, a Welsh charity which offers friendship and support to lonely (Welsh) people.

Cuellar

Why is there all beans on the wall? What's he been up to in there?

dontpaintyourteeth

steve98

Quote from: Cuellar on March 28, 2024, 09:57:24 AMWhy is there all beans on the wall? What's he been up to in there?

Dunno.
Look at the size of this bean-bath? That would fit easily onto an electric wheelchair; and then you'd have a mobile bean-bath, for goin' round the pubs, chuggin'.

I might just turn up to the next CaB Meet like this (If I can borrow a wheelchair); so bring some beans lol.

Cc  Jockice.

Dex Sawash

I suspect all of our fibromyalgias are now visible after seeing that.

shoulders

Quote from: steve98 on March 28, 2024, 09:09:20 AMCaptain Beanie here sat in a bath of beans for 100 hours in 1986 (A world-record). He did it in a shop window, but the pic is of him practicing at home in Port Talbot.
I wonder if those who've such a downer on baked-bean-bath fundraising would spew their nastiness to his face? I doubt it... That's Diana on his arm btw (she's a bit wonky-eyed)

I hate Captain Beanie and his whole existence, actions and vibes.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shoulders on March 27, 2024, 07:41:39 PMYeah ...err ...that's got nothing to do with anything here but in Mudder fashion, here's your medal for taking part.

Err I know this is always novel to you that forum isn't your own personal WhatsApp group but I was replying to the person who brought up tough mudder.

shoulders

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 28, 2024, 10:51:26 AMErr I know this is always novel to you that forum isn't your own personal WhatsApp group but I was replying to the person who brought up tough mudder.

That was me.

idunnosomename

This bean bathing thing is clearly a messy play fetish and the charitable donations a gossamer veneer

Kankurette

Trenter, you are one crazy bastard, but fair play. I know someone who does Tough Mudder and it's not just to raise money for charity, she genuinely loves it. I think she just likes pushing herself. She and her boyfriend are runners, they both do loads of charity marathons. Personally, I would rather stick my hand in a blender but I admire people who actually enjoy doing that sort of thing, because they're clearly fitter than I am. Plus I fucking HATE running and being covered in mud.

I find things like sponsored mountain climbing a bit self-indulgent but I can't knock things like the Race for Life. Some of us do it for personal reasons. I did it because of my dad and one of my old bandmates did it for the drummer, who'd died of bowel cancer.